How long does it take to schedule hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does it take to schedule hysterectomy? How long does it take to schedule hysterectomy?

Unread 06-20-2016, 07:30 PM
How long does it take to schedule hysterectomy?

After you made the decision to go with the surgery how long was it before you had your hysterectomy? Just curious, I see the surgeon this week and will agree (I think!) to go ahead. Will it be days, weeks or months before I am on that table!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2016, 07:42 PM
Re: How long does it take to schedule surgery?

Hi and welcome,

I think it really depends upon your surgeon's schedule and the availability of the hospital's operating room. Other factors can include "urgency" - I saw the oncologist surgeon mid week and I was scheduled for surgery for the next week. He felt I had a mass that was unknown and pre cancerous cells, so he advised me to get it done ASAP. I was sort of shocked that my surgery would be so soon, but it gave me less time to worry.

It really can vary from one week to months down the road, so to speak, from what I have seen on our site. What I think is interesting is that getting the actual date made my reality sink in. I knew I was headed for surgery, but once the date was set, I knew I had to get myself mentally and physically prepared.

Hugs and best of luck.
Unread 06-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Re: How long does it take to schedule surgery?

Hi Olser to HysterSisters!

(((Marciamae))) is correct - it really depends on your personal scenario, your doctor's schedule, and the hospital schedule. More urgent surgeries have a rapid schedule, while ones that can wait can get pushed further out.

I also had a cancer concern, so I was in the OR 10 days after my visit with the gyn onc. He took one look at me and said "You are having surgery ASAP. I have openings in my schedule for the next two weeks." ! Did not give me much time to prepare.

To help you out, you may want to read our pre-op page.

Just know we are here for you, and understand how you feel. This can be an overwhelming experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2016, 07:10 AM
Re: How long does it take to schedule hysterectomy?

As everyone else said, it depends. I'm in Canada and was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. I got in to see my surgeon three weeks after diagnosis and had surgery seven weeks after that.
Unread 06-21-2016, 09:35 AM

As others have said, there are a lot of factors that come into play. I didn't have a cancer concern, yet I could have had surgery within a week of my surgeon and I making the decision. I wanted to have time to make some arrangements, so I chose a date a couple weeks out instead.

When I had a different type of surgery last year, the earliest date was a month out. That surgeon was already booked for her OR days for a few weeks for the facility I chose.

Both surgeons operated at more than one facility, so that can change the timing as well.

Unread 06-23-2016, 04:01 PM

I feel like I lucked out...saw new gyn for the first time on 6/8 due to super abnormal period, had TVU on 6/11, results appt dx with adeno (unsurprising since I have had endo dx since I was 12 and pcos almost as long) on 6/14, scheduled for hysterectomy 6/30...seems fast to everyone I know but for me it cannot come fast enough.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register