what is general anesthesia like? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what is general anesthesia like? what is general anesthesia like?

Unread 06-10-2008, 05:17 AM
what is general anesthesia like?

That was also the thing I was most scared about! But they gave me something to relax me before they took me into the OR, and everyone started looking fuzzy. I remember them wheeling me down the hall, into an elevator, into another hall, and into the OR, and then they were telling me to scoot over onto the table, and I told them don't let me fall off the other side, and they said they wouldn't, and then it seemed like the next minute I could hear people calling my name, and I was like "WHAAAAAAATTTT?" Seems like I had just been in a really good sleep and I just wanted to be left alone. But when I realized it was over, I thought, wow, I don't have any pain except my legs were sore, and I just wanted something cold, but all I could have at first were ice chips, and believe me they never tasted so good!! LOL I got myself all worked up and scared for nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2008, 06:05 PM

It's like the best thing in the world. You are so relaxed and you don't have a care in the world. It happens quickly. When I woke up I remember asking immediately for ice chips because I was so dry. Make sure you follow the preop instructions to the letter. You won't have any problems.
Unread 06-10-2008, 07:59 PM

I never was nervous about general....It is just a unbelievable experience....like the ladies said above..it seems that your took a nap for about 2 minutes, but your really sleepy when your all done with your surgery....They usually give you something before the general to relax you and boy does it ever....some people just fall asleep with it immediately, others remember the trip to the OR and then they get the general. I have had both experiences...please don't worry about the general....its just like taking a quick nap.....put your energy on something else...good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2008, 08:11 PM

I wasn't the least bit nervous so I got nothing before going into the OR so I remember being wheeled in and getting on the table and being hooked up to the monitors. One of the nurses put the mask on me and told me it was just air and then a few minutes after that the anesthesiologist told me that I was going to sleep now and I felt something cold in my IV line. I don't remember going to sleep and the next I remember I woke up in recovery. You are so out of it that you have no concept of time, I was actually in recovery for about 4 hours but to me it felt like 15 minutes.

It really isn't that bad but I understnd your fears when you have it the first time. I had my gallbladder surgery back in 93 and I was petrified of going under.
Unread 06-10-2008, 08:46 PM

I had a tumor removed from my back about 3 years ago and that was my first experience with general and I was FREAKED out!! It was the best nap I have ever taken!! I had 3 c-sections all with spinals and general is a piece of cake!! I have very sweet vivid dreams that I like to think is a great way to occupy my brain as a gift from God!!

Vickie
Unread 06-10-2008, 09:21 PM

For me, it was like falling asleep. I barely remember seeing my surgeons in the OR in all 3 of my surgeries!! Waking up usually isn't bad either. I usually feel rested and thirsty with a dry mouth. One time I had some nausea so from then on they add some Zofran in my IV before I leave the OR to help settle my stomach so no nausea when I wake up now. And the first bit of ice and/or juice is always the best since I have been NPO for so long!!

Best of luck ladies!!!
Unread 06-10-2008, 10:15 PM

I've had general 4 times - wisdom teeth removal '88, tonsillectomy '86, ovarian cyst & appendectomy '96, and just last Friday when I had hoped to get a D&C, HTA, and tubal - the dr found too much going on once he got the three cuts and the laprascope in, and I now have to have a TAH (hopefully July 3rd or earlier).

Exactly as above - one minute you are there and the next you are waking up. My anes. asked me about nausea at my pre-op and I jokingly told him "just on rollercoasters..." - he suggested a Dramamine 2 with the active ingriedient that begins with a "mexi...." can't remember it now. He said to take it just as I left home for the hospital with a small sip of water. I did that and I think it helped, although I do not ever remember any of the other times experiencing nausea when waking up.

No nausea when I woke up this time. However, I did get a bit nauseous when the IV nurse first put in my IV - I HATE IV's ! It was also the first time I was ever offered the local injection for pain before the IV was started. I think part of the problem was where it was placed - in my lower left arm, inside about halfway between my wrist and elbow. I was hoping for something closer to the wrist below the thumb, as I have tolerated them better there with less bruising. Now I have an ugly bruise and knots under the skin painful to the touch as far up as the crook of my elbow

ANYHOO, back to the topic......I was very groggy and sleepy for hours afterward, and my husband says I repeated myself quite a bit during that day, even after going home and sleeping another 4 hours before getting up absolutely ravenous !! I was still a bit fuzzy all day Saturday. Sunday, no problems.

I think you will find everyone in the OR (both pre-op and post) will be there with comforting words, pats on the shoulder, hand-holding when you need it........this will help. Be sure to ask your anesthesiologist about dramamine and if she/he feels you could tolerate it. My surgery was at 8am and I had to be there at 6:30am to get ready.

Wishing you all the best,
Skipper
Unread 06-11-2008, 08:52 AM

I've had the general a few times. Each one was different, so I guess it all depends on the anesthesiologist. With my hyst, I was told I would be given something to help me relax, and it knocked me right out, so I don't remember being taken to OR at all. With other surgeries, they've used the gas that you breath in, and it always made me feel like I was floating. While breathing in the gas, I have been told to count backwards, count to a 100, and one anesthesiologist was carrying on a regular conversation with me.

I've never had any nausea when waking up. For a couple of my surgeries, I remember a nurse being right there, calling my name and telling me to wake up and a few times that I've woken up in post-op alone, and the nurse would come over to check on me.

After my hyst, the nurse woke me up in post-op, I talked to her for a few minutes, and then went right back to sleep. When I woke up, I was in my room with DH. He says that I had already been in there for 3 hours. I buzzed the nurse in so I could get up. I walked a very short distance, and then instead of getting back in bed, I sat in a chair for a while.
Unread 06-11-2008, 11:32 AM

I never had surgery. In fact, Im a huge baby when it comes to doctors. I had my IV already from the day before from when i got blood, so that was one less thing to get done. I got to the surgery pavillion, signed in, and waited. They called me back. I put on a own and watched tv. My nurse met me. I met the anestheologist and he asked questions and i answered questions. The nurse came back and gave me half of my versed, regelan, 2 antibiotics, and pepcid in my IV. I also had to drink something nasty and bitter tasting for my tummy as i have bad GERD. It actually irritated my tummy afterwards. However...............
I felt relaxed. My family was visiting with me and we talked. About 30 minutes later the nurse came i and gave me the other half of my versed and within 5 minutes they were also getting me to go. I said my goodbyes and they wheeled me to the OR and I met a surgical nurse. The OR wasnt scary. It had big lights and i saw about 10 people in scubs and masks. I scooted to a fixed table and put my head in a weird head cradle. They opened my gown pocket flap and started putting on EKG pads. They asked me my name and what surgery i was having. I didnt not remember getting a mask, or getting anything in my IV. I woke up being wheeled down the hall and seeing my family looking at me saying how proud they were of me and that i did great. It was over. They were heading to my recovery room. Waiting for me. I woke up with an IV in my other hand, and my huge incision with staples, but i wasnt in pain. I had a dilaudid pump. I kept repeating myself also from the versed. Meclizine is the dramamine 2 medicine for nausea.
Unread 06-11-2008, 12:17 PM

I have had 10 surgeries and everytime I freak. Only cause I hate to not be in control.
I remember the first time My sister told me the dr would give me something to relaz prior and it felt like she could not breath so I was FREAKED. well he came in told me that he had a Martini for me. he told me exactly what it was and what he was doing. as he was injecting it into my IV I asked
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO WORK? he said NOW.. I said
I DON"T HINK ITS WORKING I DON"T FEEL ANYTHING. then I started giggling uncontrolable. HE laughed and said OHH ITS WORKING....
then I remember the operating room and having to move from the gorney to the table and remembering **** its freaking cold in here. and then they ask if I am ok and then told me they were going to put the oxogen mask on me and to count back from 10 then the next thing I always remember is waking up. and in all honestly I WAKE UP IN SEVER PAIN each and everytime. excpet this last one back in OCt they gave me a bunch of morphine sine the day surgery ended up being worse and I had to stay in the hospital for a week and all I remember is thatr I slept all day. So I am hoping for that again this time...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register