Various procedures for H...question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Various procedures for H...question Various procedures for H...question

Unread 08-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Various procedures for H...question

Obviously there are a lot of ways to do a Hysterectomy...some are partial, some are total and some done vaginally, some with an incision and some laprascopically.

When you are told to do an H by your doctor, do they give you all the possibilities on HOW it could be done or only ONE...the way HE/SHE was trained or has done it all their career?

For example...your normal OB/GYN is also a surgeon...but he/she, when he/she does H's does them with an incision because he/she isn't trained, doesn't like, or ??? the laprascope. He/she immediately says "take it all" not giving you choices or reasons to perhaps keep ovaries or cervix? Does it even occur to you to ask...can I keep my ovaries? Can I keep my cervix? What are the advantages and/or disadvantages?

Until I got the second opinion AND came on this board, I didn't realize I had alternatives to taking it all.

Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2007, 09:27 AM

When I found out I needed the surgery, I immediately started researching the options. I made a folder with printed information about each type of procedure that sounded like it might work for me.

My next step was to find a doctor who was skilled in all different types of procedures. Ask the women in your life for referrals, then call the offices and ask questions. Does the doctor do this procedure? How often? Some Web sites that discuss certain procedures also have a "find a doctor" button which can be a good place to start.

Another trick: try a Google search for "patient instructions and the name of the procedure" (for instance Patient Instructions LSH). That will bring up a few clinics that do the procedure -- and maybe one in your area. Or, that clinic may be able to refer you to someone in your area.

Finally if you live near a university hospital, you might see if they have a women's clinic because many of them will be using the latest/greatest procedures.

I was lucky to go from a doctor who just did TAH to one who discussed every single option with me and who was skilled at doing any of the options I decided on.
Unread 08-16-2007, 10:12 AM

first and foremost is your situation has to be considered.. like if you have a fibroid the size of a cantalope you probably won't be getting one done vaginally. And if you were to did it vaginally they don't leave your cervix.
The biggest problem I think lies in that not every doc does it all. It would be nice to have an opinion in the first place from someone that did do it all. i read up on procedures on a site by <No doctor's names as per the site TOS. Thanks!> a gyn in santa monica. It was thorough in describing each...
I hope you find the info you need to be happy with the ultimate decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2007, 10:47 AM

I consider myself very fortunate to have been working with a wonderful doctor for years prior to this. So, when this came up, there was really only one option for me. I didnt have to go searching for a doc that I trust. I have one. There was only one reasonable option for the type of Hyst I am having. While he is trained to do pretty much all of the options.. because of my sittuation. The LAVH/LSO is really the only safe option. He has made sure to let me know that there is about a 40% chance it will end up being a TAH/BSO.

I guess there is actually choices.. but with my sittuation, there is really only one reasonable one.
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:53 AM

Hi Funnyesq,

Good thread subject.

Did I know anything about a hysterectomy until it was staring me in the face?? No way!!

In answer to your question, I think it comes down to a Dr's medical training and a Hyster Sister's medical history.

I do agree that some Drs may recommend a certain hyst type because they are more familar with it. Or...as you mentioned...a Dr. might recommend an abominal hyst because they do not have the additional medical training to do a laparoscopic hyst. That happened to me.

I think that ~self-education~ is the most important thing when considering a hyst. Ask the questions...and question what a Dr. says if it does not feel right. Drs give us options... and we make the final decision about our bodies and having a hyst.

Sending best wishes~

Mary

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register