Question about driving | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about driving Question about driving

Unread 08-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Question about driving

I know they say no driving for 2 weeks. Does that mean NO getting in a car period? Or just no actual driving stitting behind the wheel? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Question about driving

This really depends on they type of surgery you are having. I had a TAH/LSO and I was old to pretty much stay housebound for 2 weeks except for short walks.
At my 2 week check-up I was told I could start driving after 4 weeks post-op as long as I could pick my right foot up to my knee and then slam it to the floor as hard as I could with minimal pain.

It pretty much is up to your Dr., the type of surgery and how well you are feeling and your healing rate.
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Question about driving

It means no actual driving . I made my first car trip (was not driving )at 2 weeks it was painful . They tell you that to make sure the effects of the anesthesia and pain pills are gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Question about driving

I think you're fine to get into the car before 2 weeks as long as you are comfortable. My son took me for a ride the week I got home from the hospital 'cos I was going crazy here at the house. After about 5 minutes into the ride I was ready to come home! Just make sure you take a pillow with you to support your incision when you do venture out.

But driving is another thing. My NP told me I could drive whenever I could turn side to side and felt no sudden pains or pulling. I did drive 1 1/2 wks after my surgery but it was an emergency and I was worn out the next day. I'm 3 1/2 weeks out and am driving now with no problem. Also, my NP told me something that I hadn't heard - she said that if you're driving and are in a wreck and haven't been cleared by your doc that most insurance companies will deny any claims you may incur. Hadn't heard that one before so I don't know if she was trying to dissuade me from driving too soon but I definitely kept it in mind!
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Question about driving

Thanks for your replies. That helps. I think I will stay out of our truck until I feel no pain since its bouncy! That will hurt!!
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Question about driving

My doc said the same thing about not being covered by insurance if I were to drive before I was released at four weeks. And that I had to be able to have a quick movement with my right leg or to "tense" up with out feeling any pain. So I guess we are just better off staying home as long as possible and being waited on hand and foot!
Unread 08-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Question about driving

I like how you think Lil'Turtle !
Unread 08-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Question about driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Turtle
My doc said the same thing about not being covered by insurance if I were to drive before I was released at four weeks. And that I had to be able to have a quick movement with my right leg or to "tense" up with out feeling any pain. So I guess we are just better off staying home as long as possible and being waited on hand and foot!
Yeah, enjoy it why we can!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register