Any proven help for vaginal atrophy and pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Sexual Dysfunction After Hysterectomy

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any proven help for vaginal atrophy and pain? Any proven help for vaginal atrophy and pain?

Unread 04-16-2020, 06:43 PM
Any proven help for vaginal atrophy and pain?

I had a total hysterectomy 21 years ago and in the last 5 years intercourse has become very painful. I’ve used Premarin cream, estradiol patches and pills, and now Yuvafem vaginal inserts. None have helped. I have even gone through my in’s recommended pelvic therapy treatment and exercise regimen.

I ran across a non-prescription insert from a company called Bonifide. They contain hyaluronic acid and are called Revaree. I was wondering if anyone has tried them or anything else that works. I’m desperate as my husband and I have given up having intercourse. I am even so desperate as to try surgery but haven’t seen too good of reviews for the Mona Lisa procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2020, 07:15 PM

I have also had no luck. I had a partial leaving one ovary in 1995 and sometime between 2000 and 2003 they removed the last ovary. Everything was fine up until around 11 years ago and I lost desire and moisture as well as it became not just pain from lack of moisture but just our right pain like he was hitting something. I’ve tried pills, creams, patches. Nothing has really helped with desire so moisture really hasn’t happened either. It’s been 6 years since we’ve had sex because of it. I have even dealt with thinning hair and extremely wrinkled and I’m only 50. I hope you find help. Let me know if you do.
Unread 09-06-2020, 07:32 AM
Re: Any proven help for vaginal atrophy and pain?

We are in the same sinking boat....

My surgery was 10 years ago and while lack of libido has been an issue for about 2 years, the atrophy, dryness, and pain has only been about 9 mo. My GP has just started me down the path of vaginal cream and I absolutely hate it. My biggest complaint is in the direction 'no sex for 24 hrs after insertion' (so as not to give the hubby too much estrogen), but it has to be inserted every day?!?!?!? So when am I allowed to see if it's actually working? To be honest, I truly doubt it will. I was wondering if anyone has tried the vaginal ring? And if that would be a better method of delivery. Mostly just wondering if actual intercourse is out of the picture forever, or if maybe there is SOMETHING that works. I, too, have wondered about the hyaluronic acid would be a better option for 'down there' since it works for my face and neck so well! ;-) But in thinking about the warnings with the estrogen cream, would there not be the same for the hyaluronic acid when inserted vaginally? So many questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2020, 10:01 AM
Unhappy - Any proven help for vaginal atrophy and pain? Re: Any proven help for vaginal atrophy and pain?

I have an appointment scheduled to find out if there is anything new. I had a complete abdominal hysterectomy in 2014. I was between boyfriends and I have been seeing someone now for 3 years. The desire is there but nothing is happening.

I don't hold out much hope and I don't know what my next step should be. I had regrets immediately but nothing like what I have today.

If anyone does have any hope, please let us know. I know hope is in short supply in September of 2020 but I have to believe this is not the last chapter for me. I have 2 friends who had vaginal hysterectomies who have not been through any of this.
Unread 02-18-2021, 08:49 AM

I have been celebrate for over two years due to an abusive partner who I have since divorced. I ordered vaginal dilators to see just how far the atrophy had progressed. Using the graduated sizes I’m at #4 before I felt resistance and discomfort that lingers this morning. I will schedule an apt with my gyn doc. I want to date again and I know intimacy including intercourse matters to a partner. Not sure if my options but if I have success I’ll check back. This sucks!
Unread 02-18-2021, 04:40 PM

when you used vaginal estrogen did you start out using it every night for two weeks and then 2-3 times weekly? i get mine from a compounding pharmacy. also. before i had my urethral sling, they had me use it every night for weeks before and after surgery to promote healing and to keep the tissue plump. then i went back to 2-3 nights a week.
Unread 03-22-2021, 07:00 PM

for intercourse "Slippery Stuff " works great for us. It's water base. I get it online from Amazon. The Pelvic Therapist that recommended it, also recommended NOT getting it through and adlt store link as you'll be bomb barded with other adult ads.
I've been on Estradiol tablet for 13 years. Oncology GYN Surgeon wants me off it now. Trying Replens for 24/7 genital discomfort issues. Worried
Unread 04-01-2021, 11:39 AM

I must be honest, not only do we use a lubricant, I use the numbing kind. I also take motrin (or pain medication) as well as have an alcoholic drink if I think we will have intercourse.
Unread 04-02-2021, 12:01 PM

I started taking Membrasin. It's a supplement and a cream. It is super expensive but it really helped (we had sex with no lube!!!)
I went to re-order and I swear the price had gone up so I started researching the active ingredients: seabuckthorn oil and hyaluronic acid. So I bought just a seabuck supplement and a hair, skin, nails (nature's bounty maybe) with the acid and it seems to help.
The membrasin states it takes 1 to 3 months to work, which is annoying since if it doesn't work you are out $$$
Unread 05-23-2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarks1957 View Post
I had a total hysterectomy 21 years ago and in the last 5 years intercourse has become very painful. I’ve used Premarin cream, estradiol patches and pills, and now Yuvafem vaginal inserts. None have helped. I have even gone through my in’s recommended pelvic therapy treatment and exercise regimen.

I ran across a non-prescription insert from a company called Bonifide. They contain hyaluronic acid and are called Revaree. I was wondering if anyone has tried them or anything else that works. I’m desperate as my husband and I have given up having intercourse. I am even so desperate as to try surgery but haven’t seen too good of reviews for the Mona Lisa procedure.

Please try Intrarosa (brand name for prasterone suppository). It’s like a miracle!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register