Scheduled TAH Cheers🍸let the pre-op begin! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cheers🍸let the pre-op begin! Cheers🍸let the pre-op begin!

Unread 04-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Re: Cheers🍸let the pre-op begin!

You guys should have a cyber toast using your yucky drinks. To a great recovery and even better health! ((CHEERS))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Re: Cheers��let the pre-op begin!

I just finished drinking mine. My surgery, LAVH/SBO is scheduled at 9:15 in the morning. I found out the best way to drink it is a way that a friend taught me several years ago to take a shot. lol Breath out, take a deep breath in, drink as big a gulp as you can, after you swallow it let your breathe out through your nose. Then you can breath normally. It doesnt take the nasty taste away completely but I think it cuts it in half at least. Good luck!
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Re: Cheers��let the pre-op begin!

I got mine down, I chased it with flavored water, then threw it up about an hour later! Still going to the bathroom, but OMG I want a hamburger!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooo hungry, jello and chicken broth aren't cutting it lol! Good luck to you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Re: bowel prep going on. oh man

And I was up going a few times in the night and into the next morning, very concerned because I still had some "sediment" or dusty stuff coming out. If my schedule would have allowed, I would have asked about starting it earlier. I was worried I would have to go during surgery if the Dr pushed on the wrong place. Lol. I warned the nurses....they said it was fine.

It really truly wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be!! And I lost 5 pounds doing it! (The weight came back, yes... But it was something fun to sidetrack my thoughts!)
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:36 PM

I've started my mag citrate and plan to keep my tummy full of liquids. I had the cherry flavor and it wasn't that bad to drink! It has been about 30 minutes. I hear the "magic" starts at about an hour after taking it.

Sitting here watching daytime television and see the awful news about the explosions at the Boston Marathon.
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Yes about an hour and half is when mine kicked in! Just watching movies here!!
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Ive felt like throwing up since I drank it but somehow Ive kept it down. It just kicked, took about two hours for me. I made my little girl some mac & cheese, which I usually dont care for, but it smelled so good I wanted to eat it soo bad. I havent had an appetite for a while or been able to eat much at a time. I guess I want to eat just because I know I cant, or maybe I want to stress eat. Less than 18 hours to go, Im getting more anxious by the minute. Good luck to everyone and thanks to all for the well wishes!
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Oh why didn't I find this thread sooner? haha.

I was absolutely dreading my bowel prep and the bad part about it was that I had to do it twice! I was originally scheduled for surgery on March 26th so on the 25th I got up, had a real breakfast and then prepared for the worst. Had to take two doses of Miralax, one at 9am and one at noon. And thank goodness it was that because from what the rest of you ladies are saying, I could have had it much worse! After that, I had the joy of two enemas, one at 6 pm and one at 7pm. Nothing like hearing your husband walk by the bathroom giggling like a schoolboy as you're laying on the floor with your hiney up in the air just holding it and waiting for that feeling to hit. I wake up on the 26th, get everything packed up and as I'm putting on my shoes to head out the door, my doctors office called to tell me my surgery had to be rescheduled due to a family emergency. By this time, I'm starving after the all liquid diet and the bowel prep. I make a beeline for the fridge and then the pantry telling my husband that I'm going to eat everything in the house.

Two weeks later, I got to do it all again. Oh Joy!!

But now that I'm on the other side, I look back and think, it wasn't really that bad, really.
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:52 PM

Good luck to all scheduled for surgery. I too was worried that I was going to go to the bathroom during the surgery! I had one bottle of mag citrate and clear liquid diet the day before. I still had loose stool the morning after surgery! Try not to get constipated after surgery, though.The pain meds and not moving around much doesn't help. Try to drink a lot of fluids and get up and walk as much as possible when you are allowed. Good luck!
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:38 PM

You know.... If there was some type of a signal that let you know it was all done.... Like a whistle... Lol.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register