Pain: road biking/spinning | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Road Bike Enthusiasts

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain: road biking/spinning Pain: road biking/spinning

Unread 05-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Pain: road biking/spinning

Had a vaginal-assisted hysterectomy in December. It is now late May and I've been road biking some and am back in spinning classes at the Y, and I think I'm having some issues, and would like feedback from others in case they've experienced something similar.

Now that I've been biking and/or spinning 2-3x/week, I'm having some mild pain, mild discomfort and mild bleeding (just an occasional pink tinge when I wipe). I know I need to go back to the GYN, and have an appointment scheduled for about a month from now. She's out on maternity leave, or I'd go back sooner.

But in the meantime, I'm wondering if a really good chamois would help? And if so, can anyone recommend some really good bike shorts/capris/underwear with a really good chamois for our particular "situation"? I'm also open to recommendations for a good bike gel seat....

Thanks in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2014, 08:52 PM

But in the meantime, I'm wondering if a really good chamois would help? [/quote]

I ride both road and mtn bikes on itty bitty hard seats.... (weightweenie). :-D I have canari bike shorts, and I have two skirts with chamois that match. I'll look up the name of them. I can ride without them...but its much better with them. You might also make sure your bike seat is adjusted level. To do that the bike must be sitting level and then the seat checked. Its worth getting by a bike shop to get that checked. Any tilt could cause weight distribution to be off and cause pinching and soft tissue problems.
Unread 06-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Re: Pain

Thanks for the reply, KLor. After a week or two of increasing pain and mild bleeding, I went ahead and saw a substitute GYN - didn't want to wait until July. I got (yet another) vag ultrasound and it was so uncomfortable that I burst into tears after it was over and the US tech had left the room. The pelvic was equally uncomfortable. So it turns out that I have a spot of "granulation" where the vaginal cuff isn't healing, which is what's causing the internal pain and bleeding. The remedy is to cauterize with silver nitrate, but the sub GYN said that if I was having that much discomfort just from the exam that I'd probably strangle her if she treated me w/ silver nitrate without anesthesia. She really didn't want to deal with me, so just put me on antibiotics and set up another appointment with my real GYN for this coming Monday, and we'll figure out what to do then. I'm ready for this to be over with because I now have discomfort pretty much all the time, except when I'm asleep. Sex is unfortunately too uncomfortable to tolerate at the moment.

She did also see some minor external abrasions, which are really a separate issue from the granulation. The external irritation is from biking. I went to a bike shop and a worker in the shop checked my saddle and it was perfectly level, but it turns out that the handlebars are probably too low, causing me to lean too far forward and applies too much pressure to the "soft tissue". She strongly recommended that I get a proper bike fitting, which I'm set up to do Friday afternoon. I thought I'd had a fitting, but no, it was just brief measurements when I was purchasing it. Apparently a proper fitting takes over an hour! Who knew? I was told that with a proper fitting it'll make a good bike turn into a beloved bike. I already love it, so I'm really looking forward to when the bike is more comfortable and I can think about doing lots of distance without bothering the "soft tissue" (the very apt description from the bike shop lady). The "normal" bike seat pain (sits bones feeling bruised) I can tolerate - I know from experience that that area toughens up and eventually isn't an issue anymore. And that's what the chamois is for. The chamois doesn't help with the soft tissue situation, though....

So, am getting both issues taken care of. I hope to report back in a few weeks that all is well! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2014, 06:31 AM

Morning!
I did think about the bars....that's a good thing. Fitting like you are talking about is a great way to get really the best ride from your bike. I bought a men's racing Bianchi RB (back before women's bikes were being built)....It has a spacer for fit purposes--- made all the difference in being able to ride comfortably for distance.
Granulation... Yeah, it sucks. Weird too, when it all heals up and the body spits it out (so to speak).... You know why its called granulation, too--- lol.
I didnot have the silver nitrate done but I hope that fixes everything up.

Zoic is the mountain bike brand. They make some riding skirts that look great in town...and the underpart with the chamois is seperate so you can wear it under other stuff. It is not as thick of a padding as the Canari, tho. Some people don't like the bigger padding but hey-- comfort over looks on a long ride is what I say. At over 30 miles, your butt will thank you. :-D
And, go look up Terry Bike Company for women. Order the catalog! Bike crack in the mail....Lots and lots of choices in clothing, and she is known for her Women's bike seat design.... Which btw, I just assumed you had a women's specific seat....Those are a must for longer riding.
I upgraded my specialized sworks ( mtn bike) seat to a women's specific seat last fall. I wasn't too sure it would make any difference but again. It did and was worth the cost for me.
I hope all goes well at your appointment. Remember, too...patience in healing is a must. Ease back on yourself a little. Each person is different in the timeframe they take to internally heal. It's not a race, its a path to wellness. Take your time on it. We've a lot of time once we are well to go out and ride.
A bit more than a year after surgery and I seriously feel better than I did 20 years ago. I'm about to turn 50....and that is fantastic. You will get there. Just allow yourself the time to heal up. And love yourself enough to do that!
Where do you ride? I'm in east Tn near Chattanooga.
Unread 06-05-2014, 06:40 AM

Oh and one more thought....at the spinning class... Seat too high can cause you to sit heavily on the it and that can cause soft tissue problems. If you are bouncing/riding that can, too. And its easy to do. Not sure what your spinnning class machine is like but think about that, too.
Unread 06-05-2014, 08:45 AM

Hoo boy, you're a wealth of information. Looking forward to getting that catalog you mention. I don't mountain bike, as I'm fairly klutzy and not all that confident on rough terrain and am terrified of falls and injury. And so I'd probably not wear the mountain biking shorts on the road bike, but capris work well for me with road or hybrid. I just bought a pair of Bontrager capris which are really comfortable, and a pair of Pearl Izumi shorts - also comfortable. Both have a very nice chamois, so I think I'm set for a bit.

Women-specific bike seats - are those the ones with the cutout in the middle? I'll probably find out tomorrow at my fitting. Apparently my road bike is a women's bike - it's a Felt ZW5, if I remember correctly, and it does have a tee-tiny, very hard seat that is probably not quite right for my needs....

My YMCA uses the Kaiser bikes with the little computer. I have my seat set to allow for a slight knee bend at the fullest extension of the leg, as recommended by many an instructor, but perhaps I need to take it down a notch. I can tell the difference when it's too low, though - my knees feel it and they need arguably more protection than the "soft tissue", so I can't go down much lower, I don't think. The thing about that brand of stationary bikes is that if you raise the handlebars up higher, it also pushes them out away from you farther, so no matter what, high or low, it forces you to lean forward more than (I think) is necessary. So, I'm not sure what the answer is there. I hate to give up that very convenient form of cardio. For now I just tend to stand up and peddle more often than we're typically instructed to do....

I live in Richmond, Virginia and bike mainly around central VA. Richmond is hosting the UCI International Cycling Championships next year, and the city and region are really getting on board with improving the biking infrastructure for both roads and trails, as well as hosting lots of great bike rides and tours. It's a good time and place to be getting into biking!
Unread 06-05-2014, 09:07 AM

Congrats on the UCI next year! Chat just hosted the Nationals... It's a way tougher course than I'd want to ride. We have VW bells (for cheering as they go by and talked our way into the giveaway waterbottle also from it because I drive a cute gold VW named Blondie. Yes, I have the Euro tag that says Blondie on front and Bike stickers! I'm committed or commitable).

Sounds like you already thought about the spin class. And are on you way to fixing things up.

My riding in Virginia has been Creeper Trail...up and down (loved it). We also rode thru the mountains there on the roads. We did the other mtn bike trail from Damascus...shoot, can't think of its name. Its part of the old AT there... Torture but fun. It was 94 F that day. Makes for a great story. I have red,sweaty face photos, too! Lol.
I grew up on the mountains. Always rode gravel, red mud, and roots...on much worse bikes...so it doesn't bother me. I scare my husband when it comes to riding trail.
Maybe we'll visit the championships next year. I'm thinking about a Skyline/Parkway ride at some point, too.
You'll love the catalog. It's always full of fun stuff.

Have you seen the Catlike brand of helmets? I tried one on and have been thinking to upgrade from a Bell helmet to one. Much lighter on the neck/shoulders, too.
And I may do that for my birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katjardin View Post
Hoo boy, you're a qwealth of information. Looking forward to getting that catalog you mention. I don't mountain bike, as I'm fairly klutzy and not all that confident on rough terrain and am terrified of falls and injury. And so I'd probably not wear the mountain biking shorts on the road bike, but capris work well for me with road or hybrid. I just bought a pair of Bontrager capris which are really comfortable, and a pair of Pearl Izumi shorts - also comfortable. Both have a very nice chamois, so I think I'm set for a bit.

Women-specific bike seats - are those the ones with the cutout in the middle? I'll probably find out tomorrow at my fitting. Apparently my road bike is a women's bike - it's a Felt ZW5, if I remember correctly, and it does have a tee-tiny, very hard seat that is probably not quite right for my needs....

My YMCA uses the Kaiser bikes with the little computer. I have my seat set to allow for a slight knee bend at the fullest extension of the leg, as recommended by many an instructor, but perhaps I need to take it down a notch. I can tell the difference when it's too low, though - my knees feel it and they need arguably more protection than the "soft tissue", so I can't go down much lower, I don't think. The thing about that brand of stationary bikes is that if you raise the handlebars up higher, it also pushes them out away from you farther, so no matter what, high or low, it forces you to lean forward more than (I think) is necessary. So, I'm not sure what the answer is there. I hate to give up that very convenient form of cardio. For now I just tend to stand up and peddle more often than we're typically instructed to do....

I live in Richmond, Virginia and bike mainly around central VA. Richmond is hosting the UCI International Cycling Championships next year, and the city and region are really getting on board with improving the biking infrastructure for both roads and trails, as well as hosting lots of great bike rides and tours. It's a good time and place to be getting into biking!
Unread 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM

Ha! I always forget something!! Zoic makes the chamois that can be put in anything you ride in. I've not tried them yet but they sell out quickly and are liked by people who buy them. You might check that out! Kim
Unread 06-05-2014, 09:44 AM

Interesting! We hosted the collegiate nationals here just a few weeks ago, which served as a trial run of the race course and to test the impact to the city for the UCI next year. Went fairly well, although it was a hassle for me personally because I live downtown and they'd blocked off access to my building, which is tolerable for an afternoon, but not for 9 days!

I haven't done the Creeper trail yet, but perhaps this fall. I understand it's just one big incline, so if you've done it both up and down, I am very impressed! What kind of terrain -- can it be done on a road bike? Ain't no way I could do umpteen miles uphill on the hybrid!

Haven't seen the helmets you mention, and I'm forgetting the brand I have, (not a Bell), but it's a good one (I think) and came recommended from a friend. Doesn't feel terribly heavy on my head/neck.

I will look for those chamois you mention - that seems ideal. I just did my first teeny-tiny triathlon in early May, a Super Sprint, and will probably do another Sprint or two before the end of the year. Might look into getting one of those tri suits, but they don't look like they come with a chamois. But then, how good is a chamois if it's wet, I wonder?
Unread 06-05-2014, 01:58 PM

Hey!
Creeper Trail is very pretty. If you get hot, ypu just jump off your bike and cool off. It is packed gravel with wooden bridges. My skinny, skinny Bianchi tire would be awful on it. We took our mtn bikes, because we planned to ride the harder trail. I want to think it was Oak Mtn trail or something....creek crossings, sandy spots...the ride to the top was rough on that one. The Creeper trail though only a 2% grade. Not bad at all. And the ride down is effortless. Loved it. We also rode part of the Silver Comet.... Also a rail trail...Its 102 miles. Atlanta into Alabama-- It can be ridden on a skinny tire bike. It was paved nicely.

I think the slide in chamois would be the logical choice for Tri's. Though sliding it in might be hard??? Lol... The ones in tri suits are very light padding.

Back in a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katjardin View Post
Interesting! We hosted the collegiate nationals here just a few weeks ago, which served as a trial run of the race course and to test the impact to the city for the UCI next year. Went fairly well, although it was a hassle for me personally because I live downtown and they'd blocked off access to my building, which is tolerable for an afternoon, but not for 9 days!

I haven't done the Creeper trail yet, but perhaps this fall. I understand it's just one big incline, so if you've done it both up and down, I am very impressed! What kind of terrain -- can it be done on a road bike? Ain't no way I could do umpteen miles uphill on the hybrid!

Haven't seen the helmets you mention, and I'm forgetting the brand I have, (not a Bell), but it's a good one (I think) and came recommended from a friend. Doesn't feel terribly heavy on my head/neck.

I will look for those chamois you mention - that seems ideal. I just did my first teeny-tiny triathlon in early May, a Super Sprint, and will probably do another Sprint or two before the end of the year. Might look into getting one of those tri suits, but they don't look like they come with a chamois. But then, how good is a chamois if it's wet, I wonder?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register