Underestimated recovery time? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Underestimated recovery time? Underestimated recovery time?

Unread 01-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Underestimated recovery time?

I'm just curious to know if any of the post-op ladies are kicking themselves for thinking they'd be back at work in no time, only to discover it just wasn't going to happen.
I'm kind of expecting the worst and hoping for the best so I'm not too disappointed, but being self-employed and owning my own store means I want to be functional ASAP. Realistically, I know this won't happen though (getting a TAH), so I'm planning with my girls at the shop to be home for weeks and do a lot of computer work. Luckily, if I'm up to getting in a car, I just live around the corner from my shop - it's in an old home so I have my own space upstairs with a t.v., futon/bed, etc. kind of ideal while my husband is working so the girls can help me!
Only 2 more sleeps! Is it horrible to actually think of my 3-5 days in the hospital as a forced holiday where all I do is sleep, read and play iPod games when I'm bored??!! I will miss my husband and daughter though, so I'm hoping at the very least for a daily visit (she's only 5), but 2 or 3 would be better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Re: Underestimated recovery time?

I haven't had my hysterectomy yet, but this will be my 8th abdominal surgery, 5 of which were total open abdominal surgeries. Some of them I was up and about sooner than others, I'm usually able to return to work in a week/week and a half, so I'm hoping this will be the same. I have a temp service,but have a staff that can mostly run it, but I'm also a Scuba Diver at our Local Aquarium. I'm assuming that one will take awhile to get back to! I wish you fast healing!
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:08 AM

Wow, I can only imagine how much you use your abdominals for diving! But that has probably saved you a lot of healing time in the past I'm sure.
Hopefully you'll get on your feet again fairly quickly after your hysterectomy too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2013, 04:15 AM

Hi
I was of the same mind set as you, think the worst and be grateful if you recover quicker, it kind of means you relax more knowing you're in for the long haul.
my surgeon signed me off work for 10 weeks, I don't know why, I must have looked like I have a stressful job!! Difference for me is that I got full pay from my company, so was not a money worry.
I could have gone back to easy duties earlier, though my brain was completely fogged until about 12 weeks, so i didn't really know what I was doing when I did get back to work, but they were understanding of that!!
it sounds like you're approaching this in a positive way - get the help you need lined up, remove as much stress and pressure as you can and yes, you may even enjoy the rest for a while!!

Wishing you all the best with your surgery and a speedy recovery x
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM

I swore I'd be back to work in 4 weeks...it was 6 and I still wasn't healed. The dr would have given me and additional 3 weeks off but 9 weeks seemed a bit much. Even at 6 weeks, going back to work was tough...I had terrible brain fog for the first few days. The first day back I was home in bed by 5:30 pm the good thing is that it got easier everyday. After 2 weeks, I felt like I'd never been gone.
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:56 AM

I am almost at 4 weeks post op and would totally suggest expecting 4 to 6 weeks. Although some women on here have bounced back more quickly it seems like the majority of us have needed the full 4 -6 weeks or even longer. My biggest problem now is that when I move I feel like someone has taken out my insides and played with them for a bit then put them back in. It's like they are bruised. And the exhaustion is for the birds. I only seem to be able to get out and about for about 4 hours or so before I am extremely sore, swollen and need to rest or take a nap. I am not telling you this to scare you. Each week has gotten so much better. I just want you to be able to plan realistically. Im with you on expect the worst and hope for the best. Good luck! And remember not to overdo it after surgery. Some people tend to do too much because they can't see all the healing that is going on inside.
Unread 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM

I totally agree with the other ladies, and what you have already planned. The TAH is a huge surgery. I was released to return to normal activities at a little over 6 weeks. But I'm still not able to really do a full days 'work'. The internal stuff is what gets to you. In my case I've healed rather easily, no real problems since the first few days. (My doc used a drainage tube which I nearly pulled out, somehow broke the suction) I'm 48, had excellent help from my family. Fatigue is a very real problem, on and off again. Often caused by insomnia that hits some of us. Also, is your business within easy walking distance? Many doctors don't allow driving for several weeks, but walking is a must! Remember the hystersister mantra-you only have one chance to heal right, so pamper the princess!
Good luck!
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM

I could definitely walk to my shop (it's about 9 minutes at a brisk walk, so I might expect a half hour at first!!) and it's down an incline - I wouldn't walk back because I get winded on a normal day. So I could walk down, rest on my futon, do some paperwork and ordering and sleep if I need to I'd probably manage being a passenger on the way home as it's about 60 seconds away by car.
Feels like a good plan for when I'm well enough!
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:00 PM

Self employed here too. I sit in a nice cozy office all day... or that is what I thought I did. Turned out I was up and down and twisting all the time, plus sitting upright in an office chair hurt like the dickens. I must tell you... I snuck back to work after 2 weeks and worked 4-5 hour days. BIG MISTAKE and when doc ordered me to take 2 more weeks off, i barely whined. Week 4 was actually the worst week for me. My bank accounts are scarily low and I'm hoping the money starts to flow again now that i'm back to regular schedule. (i am still sore by evening)
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:06 PM

Hmm, I could see the same happening to me - at the very least though, one of my two employees is my best friend and in cahoots with my husband when it comes to making sure I'm healthy. She will tell on me
It seems like I'll have to do a trial day to see what the reality of my so-called 'resting at work' will truly be like?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register