Living alone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-16-2002, 10:16 AM
Living alone

Hello! This is my first post. I'm scheduled for TAH on 11/1 and am worried about how well I'll be able to get along by myself. I'll be staying with my parents the first week or so post-op. I'm very independent and have a hard time asking for help--even though many are offering. I've hired a cleaning lady to help with the major chores, but am not sure how much I'll really be able to do by myself. Any advice? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Some suggestions for going it alone

((((((Lizab))))))

First I want to say welcome to the best website anywhere in the world!!! As for going it alone...it can be done...not easy but it can be done. It is good that you will be home with your folks the first week. The second week is not so bad, but if you could have someone come over to check on you periodically, that would be a good idea...just in case you need them to get you something from the store!! As far as getting the house ready, you have one of the first things taken care of...a cleaning lady!! Secondly, make sure you have items that are already prepared and will only require you to heat them in the microwave. Keep disposable plates and forks and spoons on hand...remember you can't be doing the dishes!! Keep some juice boxes on hand as well as some bottled water! You might even want to keep frequently used items out and on the counter when possible, helps to eliminate any stooping, bending or lifting.

There are some great suggestions on the home page on the pull down menus as far as other things you might want to consider doing!

I wish you all the best with your surgery! You should do great, especially if you plan as far as ahead as you can!!!

'S!!!!!
Cat

p.s. come visit us in chat where you can get even more suggestions on how to get prepared!!
Unread 10-16-2002, 11:00 AM
home alone

It's great that you're able to stay with your parents for the first week or so. Mine stayed with me until the Monday morning following Thursday surgery. I have a 17 year old who works and goes to school, so most days I was alone from 7:30 to 9:30. I spent a lot of time sleeping and reading. Frankly, I felt better the first week than the second, but by then I was going off pain meds. Domestic Goddess had lots of great suggestions. I didn't have too much of an appetite, and probably cooked too much ahead of time. Still have soup and chili in the freezer! Light, easy to fix food is good to have. Probably the biggest thing I needed help with for a while was taking the trash out to the curb on trash day. Lots of steps to get there!

Good luck with surgery and recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2002, 11:32 AM
Living alone

I live alone and did very well after my surgery. I did a lot of preparing before my surgery. I cooked extra and put the extra in the freezer. I made sure everything I would need was stored so that I wouldn't have to bend or stretch. I made sure I had plenty of linens so I wouldn't have to do laundry and did a bit of hand wash in the sink. I did have a housekeeper come in once a week for a few weeks....bathrooms and kitchen needed attention. I had an easy recovery and it all worked for me........but did know I could go to family if necessary.

Staying with your parents at first is a good idea, but I think you'll do fine once you get home if you plan well.
Unread 10-16-2002, 03:14 PM
Me Too.

I also live alone, and decided importing the mother for a month will work well!

I have a 16 year old girl, I knew was not going to be much help because she needs to be in school. This way I also have a driver.

Wish you the best of luck!

Trudy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register