10 days post op hysterectomy - Is it possible to MISS my uterus? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 days post op hysterectomy - Is it possible to MISS my uterus? 10 days post op hysterectomy - Is it possible to MISS my uterus?

Unread 09-28-2015, 03:34 PM
10 days post op hysterectomy - Is it possible to MISS my uterus?

Hi,

I'm 25, engaged, never had kids. Children have NEVER been a dream of mine and I've had 9 surgeries (including my LAVH). I'm now 10 days post op and feeling quite depressed. I had a confirmed diagnosis of adenomyosis and severe endometriosis but yet I feel like I'm mourning the loss of my uterus.

My surgeon, who is also my doctor, assured me that my uterus couldn't hold a child and that it was wrecked from the adeno. Is it normal to feel like this? I mean to actually cry over a diseased organ. I certainly feel much, much better now that it's out but it's just the feeling that I'm not "whole" is hard to swallow sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Re: 10 days post op hysterectomy - Is it possible to MISS my uterus?

OodlesOfPoodles, Aww! BIG gentle hugs for you. From what I have read, and surgeon(s) and my GP told me, that IS a normal occurance. And even if you didn't want children, I would think that know the choice was there may have helped??

I am not one to help, as I have a child (adult), and threatened to take my uterus myself if they didn't, so am not really feeling emotional about that.

I just, well, just wanted to give you a hug and let you know that from what I have been told it is normal. I HOPE someone can have some advice for you.
Unread 09-28-2015, 06:14 PM

Maybe it is hormone/anesthesia/idk, but sending you a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2015, 10:22 PM

Hi! I get what you mean by missing your uterus. I'm 35, married, no kids and like you not so into the kid thing either. I too was diagnosed with adeno and I wasn't going to try to get pregnant with that! I have been in so much pain since I was 14 just getting my uterus out was all I could think about. I was upset and weepy for about a week. I also get like this when I wake from sugery so anesthesia could play a role too? Later though I realized that I have a second go around at life without pain! Had I been given this option at 25 yrs old I would have taken it in a heart beat! I would have spared myself 10 years worth of agony. I think it's normal to feel like this. My sister is 27 and will need to have same surgery as myself. She's already prepared for the no kid thing and she's not married or engaged. Best wishes to you in your recovery! May it be a quick one
Unread 09-30-2015, 11:58 AM

I'm 13 days post op but two years ago had a myomectmy that left me with a 4 inch virticl scar on my abdomen. Before and after that surgery I had a very strong emotional reaction to not only the initial news of the way that procedure was having to be done, but the aftermath.
I'm a metal health therapist and thus, surrounded by them at work. The conclusion of this emotional distress for me, as assessed by my colleagues, was that a major surgery at a 'young' age meant that my seemingly healthy and unmarred body now needed serious medical intervention. The body I was used to was going to change, and the unknown is scary.
Take the time to honor your feelings, where ever they stem from. Mourn the loss of your uterus and whatever that means to you. Be gentle with yourself most of all!
Take care!
Unread 10-01-2015, 12:57 AM

Hi, I think it is natural to miss something that has been inside you. I have had children but still fell the urge to cry sometimes. I'm 7 weeks post op and the urge to cry is finally starting to go away. I had mine removed because of excessive bleeding. knowing that I was never going to deal with that again was nice. It just made me feel like less of a woman for a couple of weeks.
I think it was a part of you and, regardless of whether you planned on using it to reproduce or not, removing a part of yourself is something that will take time to deal with.
One thing that has helped me is having distractions. I'm an over-thinker so having something else to think about gave me the space to deal with my feelings.
Unread 10-01-2015, 07:09 PM

Thank you SO much, ladies! The input is very much appreciated. I have a lot surgeries in the past and even mourned a ovarian cyst ��

Now I know I underestimated the recovery process for a hysterectomy; even if it's laparoscopic! I'll definitely try to be more careful with myself so I heal faster since I'm still super sore. I hope you all have a speedy recovery!
Unread 10-01-2015, 08:21 PM

I can appreciate what you mean. I am 48 years old and I have a 10-year-old daughter and for the past several months, finding out I pretty much had to had to have an emergency hysterectomy was quite a shock to my system. I also have fibromyalgia, cluster headaches and migraines along with some arthritis. I always wanted more children but knew that I was blessed to have my miracle baby. Having periods that are extreme, to say the least, having ruptured several cysts, endometriosis and adeomyosis ...stacked the deck against me in favor of having a healthy body. I am eight days post hysterectomy, I was able to save my ovaries. I am still in quite a bit of pain and ii am truly trying to listen to my body and do what it says to do… Which is not much. My husband is out of town on business and having someone here at the house to help me has been a godsend. Spending all this time with myself is quite boring but I'm trying to be good to my body and let it heal properly, which from what I'm reading will take quite a bit of time. I have talked to my body parts a lot… Asking them to be good to me as I have taken care of them all their lives! LOL! I sure hope they're getting the messages! Please know that you are not alone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register