Complete Hys. December 26 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Complete Hys. December 26 Complete Hys. December 26

Unread 11-16-2002, 04:20 AM
Complete Hys. December 26

Hello Sisters:

I'm new to the board...I'm having a complete Hys. Dec. 26, there goes New years eve... I'm not sure what to expect..I've heard so many bad stories regarding Weight gain, mood swings, hot flashes, etc....They will use the same LONG cute as I had 1/2 of my overay out in 1991...

I'm just plan scared that my life will change and not for the better...

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2002, 04:48 AM
new too!

i too am new to this site and i have the same concerns as you....i can't gain anymore weight...i feel like i'm big as a house now...this is the most i've ever weighed, even when i was pregnant....ive gained over 7lbs in the last month, that's not good. does anyone know if we will lose any weight after surgery/or gain??? i really need to know. i'm having a tah, hoping to save the left ovary. i can't sleep...surgery is scheduled for 11/18/02 at 2 in the afternoon, sure wish it was in the morning.
Unread 11-16-2002, 05:01 AM

Hi gals,
Yes, it's easy to agonize over all the possible bad outcomes from hyst surgery. But please try to think about the positives too ...

As for weight gain, each of us is different. Some ladies lose weight, some gain. I can tell you from my experience that my weight is the same. I had my hyst about a year ago, I was 46 at the time. I had a TAH/BSO. My metabolism has been slowing down some as I have aged, but I don't notice a big difference since my surgery. With or without hyst surgery, we all have to deal with the aging process and everything that brings ... be careful about not attributing every life change to your hyst surgery.

Please do try to stay focused on the positive outcomes from your surgery ... isn't that why you're having surgery? To get your life back, to end pain and debilitating bleeding or whatever problem you're experiencing? Thoughts create reality, so start focusing on all the ways your life will be better after you get past the early recovery period. I know how everything about this surgery is terrifying when you're waiting, but do try to look forward to the life you will have once you are healthy again.

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2002, 05:02 AM

Hi candy & jujuju --

I can only speak for myself here, but..........I lost weight immediately after surgery (almost everyone does.......a lot of women find they just don't have much appetite during recovery, especially at the beginning).
Then I gained weight for a while.............til my body got adjusted to the hormones, and in the last year (I am a year and 10 months post-op) I've lost 18 pounds and I feel better than I have in years.
Not EVERYONE has problems after their hysts. Remember that there are a lot of women out there doing great..........and feeling good..........and many of them are too busy to be posting here! Also the majority of women who post on these boards are doing so because they're having problems..........so a lot of time what you see here is the negative side...........there are plenty of us out there that feel good, didn't gain weight, our hrt works fine, etc.
I had a TAH/BSO with a vertical incision. I had an easy recovery, took care of myself, I watch my diet, work out regularly (went back to my gym at 7 weeks post) and my life is much better than it was before my hyst..........no more excrutiating monthly pain! No more heavy bleeding! No more PMS!
Good luck to both of you!
Ann
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
Unread 11-16-2002, 05:09 AM

thanks for the replys...i don't want anyone to think that all i'm concerned about is my weight...i've had the heavy bleeding, painful periods, and the awful lower back pains....when i went in to have my ultrasound that's when they discovered the complex cyst and fibroid...also seen something else but they're not sure what it is...they'll find out when they do my surgery...hope it's nothing to be concerned about.
Unread 11-16-2002, 12:03 PM
Hys in December

Hello again...

My biggest concern is how I will deal with all of this once its done and over with...Two of my good friends just had theres and there doing GREAT...I just had stomach surgery 12 months ago, and I do not have the ability to throw up anymore, plus I can no longer burp, so I'm always bloated...I do hope with this, I won't have to throw up...My doctor told me they will give me something so I won't....I guess I'm just plain scared...

I hope everyone that is having this done this month, breezes through it and has a good recovery....I will pray for everyone...We all need it...

Julie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register