What to do? Am I crazy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do? Am I crazy? What to do? Am I crazy?

Unread 11-15-2002, 10:00 AM
What to do? Am I crazy?

Ok been to the family doc and he help rev the results from my exploritory Lap that came from the gyn. He helped settle some of the questions flying around in my head. Hubby came to and gave his imput also which was great it was his first time giving imput on this issue. My left tube has diffinitly got to go. drugs will not work. I don't want s to be on drugs anyway. We then dicussed the issue that I have had an tipped uterus for over 12 years, that my periods are so heavy that I bleed threw every thing, that since I have had my kids My ibs is out of control and that my bladder is leaky as hell and the uterus could be the cause that sex is non exisistent now. That I am in constant pain and that I am always sick and that in the last 15 months I have lost 85 pounds due this sicksness. He agreess that I need to be gutted. With the exception of my ovaries so I won't be forced into menopause although looking at me now you would swear I was in the starts of it. He said it was possible the lap that may have thrown the homones into flux right now or my thyroid could be acting up because my hair is coming our. My checks are flushing like vengence and I turn into a total :dragon: and its a wonder that my kids are speaking to me or even living in the same house with me. I already that a med that fools with my hormones now called topamax for my bi polar so you can see why I don't want to take any other meds. Any way my question is I was adament that I would not let him do the hysterectomy threw a lap which is what he suggested considering all the complications I had in the last three weeks from my exploritory lap. I would rather he do it the old fashion way with an horizontal cut. Am I crazy for wanting that. God here comes the cheek flushing again. GRRRRRRr. Any suggestions on the sugury. My family doc is also going to try and hurry the gyn up to see if this can be done before Christmas because this is when all my down time is and when hubby and the kids are off so they will be there to help me and so I won't miss another semseter in school. One stupid Question if he just leaves the ovaries and nothing else what holds them in place I was too embarressed to ask the doc. New I won't get laughed at here. Also the doc was impressed that I came in with a book of questions a list for him a list for my gyn and a list for my other doc that handles my Topamax. I then informed of this site and he was really impressed and said any help and reassurance I could get go for it. So please help and reassure me.

Denise.bradley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2002, 11:11 AM
What to do? Am I crazy?

Denise,

I'm sorry you are having to deal with these issues! And, no, you are not crazy for wanting to choose what type of incision you want. You know yourself best. I had a vertical incision & have had no problem at all. It has been the least of my concerns - and I have had a VERY easy recovery.

Can't answer the technicalities of "what holds the ovaries in place", but I know that stitches are made to "secure" things in hyst surgery. I'm sure more knowledgable ladies will be along to address that issue.

I hope things work out & you are able to have your surgery at a time when your family will be most able to help.

Best wishes to you!

Mongie
Unread 11-15-2002, 12:04 PM
What to do? Am I crazy?

Hello, Sorry you are having such problems!! I can sort of answer your what holds things up question. There are "ovarian suspensory and round ligaments" and they clamp and divide them when removing the uterus. And they also "include" ligaments when stitching to help support things, such as the vagina. Does that make sense? My surgery report explains all this, although it is a little hard to understand. Hope this helps....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2002, 07:26 PM
What to do? Am I crazy?

ok that helps so they do have to do something to keep them in place. I havn't heard any advice on the other question though from the others. Thanks.

Denise. Bradley
Unread 11-15-2002, 11:32 PM
What to do? Am I crazy?

Hi Denise

I had a horizontal incision and had no problems at all postop. I only had internal stitches (no staples, no steri strips - nothing) and it healed beautifully. At 3 months it's now only a thin pink line. I'm amazed how little trouble I had with it.

If you feel strongly about how you want your surgery done I would make your wishes known to your doctor. It's your body and you need to feel happy about what's going to happen to it.

I'm so sorry that you're having such a rough time at the moment. Sounds like your surgery will give you a new lease on life....I really hope so. All the very best.
Unread 11-16-2002, 07:46 PM
What to do? Am I crazy?

thanks silver; we are here slowly trying to ger ahead on the game with our Christmas decorations. We usually start next week after the Santa parade. Which I am not able to march in this year thank to my health. Kid not to happy with me. Still thaking thing s slow, I am hoping that it will be my choice on which way I am cut. I just keep hoping that it will be befor christmas. I don't want to be like this any longer.

Denise.
Unread 11-16-2002, 09:53 PM
ovaries in place?

Hi Denise
I grinned when I saw your question about the ovaries because I had the same one! I thought it was crazy and looked on this site for an answer but was too shy to ever post. SO, I asked my dr in one of my pre-op visits - I said" If you leave my ovaries in there, what are they going to be doing once they are detached from my uterus - will they just be floating around?" He smiled warmly, took down his diagram, and kindly showed me the ovaries and where they sit. He explained they are currently held "in place" by tissue they are attached to against the wall of my pelvic area. In other words, they aren't floating around now, and they won't be after surgery either. Needless to say, I was very relieved to hear this! What's more, because of the kind way he answered such a tough question for me to ask, I knew I was with the right dr for me. I haven't been disappointed yet!
Tf
Unread 11-17-2002, 05:19 AM
Thank you

I have come to learn never to be afraid to ask a question here . Now matter what the issue. This site has been great.
Thanks

Denise.Bradley

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register