2 wks post op 4 hour car ride | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 wks post op 4 hour car ride 2 wks post op 4 hour car ride

Unread 02-03-2006, 07:33 PM
2 wks post op 4 hour car ride

I am two weeks post op and my dad is very sick. I may have to take a 4 hour car ride to get to see hhim one last time. I have been riding a couple times for short trips and it is very painful bouncing around in the car. Anyone else have to do this? What suggestions do you have to help. My doctor said I could make the trip if I had to but didn't suggest how I might ease the pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2006, 07:45 PM

Hi,
I had to do the same thing 2 weeks after my TVH. I had to drive myself with 3 chidren on a 4 1/2 hr. drive. I just took extra strength tylenol because I was driving but if I were you I would take a prescription pain med and try to sleep. By the way, I hope your dad gets better and I will keep him in my prayers. Good luck on your trip.
Lots of love
Tara
Unread 02-03-2006, 07:59 PM

I am so sorry about your dad. If you can get someone to drive you, take pain meds before you leave, have plenty of pillows, and stop at least once or twice to get out and move around. You may wish to call your dr and ask them for suggestions as well, and what to watch for while traveling, and where to go if complications arise.

Best wishes to your family during this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2006, 08:24 PM

Thanks Weisser and Abby000 for your prayers and thoughts to my family. I do not have to do the driving. My hubby or best friend will be doing that. I am hoping my dad can hang on for a few more days until my DH can have some days off. He has used most of his time off with my surgery and had to go back to work yesterday. He works from 1:00am to 3:00 or 4:00pm then its dinner and off to bed.
Unread 02-03-2006, 08:46 PM

Hi Lookingforhelp,

I say go for it. My Dad passed away 6 years ago and I still treasure the last few days I had with him. We had nothing new to say to each other and it was just being there next to his bed that was so important for me, and I know for him.

If your DH or friend is driving, possibly you could rent an RV for the trip?? It would give you a place to stay when you get there and you could rest on a bed if you needed a nap during the trip. Sometimes just being able to stretch out can make a world of difference. Just a thought.

Best wishes.

Mary
Unread 02-03-2006, 09:09 PM

I'm so sorry you're facing this right now.

I agree with the other (((sisters))) -- make yourself as comfortable as you can, and plan to stop at least twice during the trip so you can move around a little bit. Lots of pillows, pain meds.... and how about a relaxation CD in a portable CD player with headphones? Might help you relax.

Hope this helps.
Unread 02-04-2006, 07:41 AM

Bring a couple of pillows along to cushion yourself. I think they really help.
Sorry to hear your dad is ill.
Unread 02-05-2006, 01:50 AM

I use a lap blanket and then I put the seat belt over that, so it doesn't hurt if I hit a bump in the road, a small pillow or folded towel over your lap would work well too. Keep the incision cushioned and take your pain meds, and you should be fine.
I will be praying for you and your Dad and hope all goes well for you.
If you have heated seats, turn on the heat, wow, that feels really soothing, too.
Unread 02-05-2006, 03:33 PM

Here are a few things that help:
Have someone else drive.
Recline your seat a bit -- it makes a big difference, since your abdominal muscles don't have as big an effort to hold you up.
Take a handtowel or something small to cushion the seatbelt.
Ask the driver to imagine that he is carrying something fragile and precious! Avoiding sudden starts, stops and swerves really helps.
If you stop for a break, do make the effort to take a little walk -- it will help even if it is uncomfortable at first. But have someone go with you if possible.
Unread 02-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Ask Dr for specific help!

Looking for help...My sympathy on your ill dad.
I had a horrible ride home from the hosp and did not want to go anywhere by car for a long time. You sure do not have that luxury with this situation. Call dr and ask if he can give you an Rx for something to make you sleep in the car...then pad yourself well with blankets etc. I see where you are from...and West Virginia curvy mountain roads are an experience with out being newly recovering from surgical procedure! Call and ask for what you need...he can only say no....and if he does..he needs to give you a good reason!
Kaegea

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register