TVH Stopped Colace at 4 weeks post op, now dealing with constipation! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stopped Colace at 4 weeks post op, now dealing with constipation! Stopped Colace at 4 weeks post op, now dealing with constipation!

Unread 10-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Stopped Colace at 4 weeks post op, now dealing with constipation!

I stopped taking Colace at 4 weeks post op, and I am now dealing with constipation. Ugh. Never had a problem with it post op.. I took 2 Colace again yesterday and this morning, but nothing yet. It's been 3 days now without a bowel movement.

My Dr had told me right after surgery to not strain while having my first bowel movement. When is straining no longer an issue?

Thought I was done taking about poop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Re: Stopped Colace at 4 weeks post op, now dealing with constipation!

There are many OTC laxatives you could use to get things going that aren't harmful. I did this about this far out as well but when I did end up going it was soft so not true constipation, just slow bowels. They'll wake back up fully in no time! It's ok to help them along when you can.
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:36 PM

I found that a a dose of miralax powder mixed with a small amount of apple juice before bed works wonders. This has been so much better for me than the colace and it has no side effects at all other than it gets things moving. I also take a Probiotic supplement daily and that seems to help as well. I am only 4 days post op at this point, but I know how uncomfortable constipation can be. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2013, 07:23 PM

I used a stool softener every morning for months then moved to prune juice. It took months for my bowels to get back right. Even now, salad and fruit are friends of mine. Best of luck.
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:39 PM

Thanks ladies! I picked up some Miralax today, so hopefully it will do the trick I've been feeling really well, bummed to deal with this. Can't wait until I feel like my normal self!
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM

Try Cherry Milk of Magnesia...if you're still taking the pain meds (vicodin, oxycodone, etc) they will constipate you. I only took the colace for a week after and then started using the MoM. I learned that diet and water intake have a lot to do w/ your ability to prevent constipation as well. I added Activia Greek yogurt to my diet and that helped immensely as well.
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:04 AM

Well all seems to be well. I've taken the Miralax twice. I started back to work last Thursday at 4 weeks. I'm thinking with that, stopping the Colace and not watching what I'm eating and drinking have compounded the constipation issue. I need to get back to eating more fruits and drinking more water.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register