Worried about intubation/anesthesia - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about intubation/anesthesia Worried about intubation/anesthesia

Unread 06-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Worried about intubation/anesthesia

I had to bring this post back up to the top to add something VERY important! If you have been diagnosed sleep apnea or if you even suspect that you have it your anesthesiologist NEEDS to know this ahead of time.

You won't even know you've been intubated once it's all over with, though. The sore throat afterward isn't painful...it's just a dry kind of soreness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2004, 10:06 PM
me too

this was also my biggest fear, the whole process of being put under, I was so afraid I'd never awake, or something dreadful, but here I am. Pre-op I was on the internet for weeks looking up everything on general anesthesia I could find, and there wasn't much but good news. It is a very safe process. I walked into the operating room, remember getting on the table, and that was it. Next thing I was waking up in my room. I understand your fear completely, but hang in there and if you need a little something to relax you beforehand, I'm sure it will be provided for you. all the best
Unread 06-27-2004, 06:41 AM

Thanks everyone for your support. I'll try to relax about it. I guess everyone has something that really nags at them before surgery.

Thanks Again!

Deanna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2004, 12:26 PM

I had my surgery last Monday. I know how you feel because my biggest fear was the anesthesia and the intubation. I couldn't even sleep the night before because I was worried about it. Needless to say, it was "a piece of cake." Everyone will put you at ease during the prep. The anesthesiologists will meet with you beforehand. Then, the anesthesiologist with be the last person you really hold a conversation with. While he was talking to me, he was putting the anesthetic in my IV. It worked within seconds. I didn't even realize I was asleep. It was the best sleep I've ever had. All I remember is talking to him and the next thing I knew, someone was waking me up in recovery. I couldn't even tell that there had been a tube. My throat was a little scratchy the next day but with a few ice chips and some liquiids that soon went away.

You will be fine. Relax and stay calm. Best of luck!

Anita
Unread 06-27-2004, 12:32 PM

I don't know how many people end up with a scratchy throat after, I was told I might, but not a scratch, it was fine.
Unread 06-27-2004, 12:50 PM
I fear the anesthesia, not the intubation

I have been intubated with every surgery, the last time being almost 6 weeks ago when I had my D&C and it was no problem at all. What everyone here says is true, you may have a scratchy throat for a day or so, some do, some don't, but it's no big deal.

What I fear is the anesthesia, and more specificly, the waking up process. I just don't react well. I tend to panic and try to get away. When I'm awake and aware I can deal with all the tubes and wires, but during the fuzzy-headed stage I try to climb out of bed.

I go to the castle on Wednesday the 30th, and knowing that this happens (several times now) I will make a point of speaking with the OR & recovery room nurses ahead of time to warn them, and request that they use good communication to let me know in advance about things like putting an O2 mask on me, or turning me over.

After the D&C there was no communication, I just felt something being put over my face and that threw me into a panic. It was ugly and a real nightmare that could have been prevented simply by putting a hand on my shoulder, calling my name and saying what they were going to do.

Good luck to you, and may you have a speedy recovery!
Unread 06-27-2004, 03:04 PM

this was one of my biggest fears too!! I had a post about it as well! Also the catheter!!

Rest easy - you won't even be aware of the intubation and the catheter is just a minor nuisance more than anything!

~HUGS~
Unread 06-27-2004, 04:02 PM

The anesthesia was also my biggest concern pre-op. I even posted a thread about it! That was the easiest part! THe nurse gave me relaxing medicine at the beginning of preparation on surgery day and the next think I remember is waking up several hours later in my room.

I had a very slight sore throat on one side that she said was from the tube and that went away when I was allowed to drink water!
The anesthesia was the easiest part of the whole experience! God bless you on your big day!

JuneE
_____________________________-
TVH with repairs 2004-16-01

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register