What goes on between when you arrive and the surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What goes on between when you arrive and the surgery? What goes on between when you arrive and the surgery?

Unread 10-01-2005, 03:10 PM
What goes on between when you arrive and the surgery?

Hi all! I guess I am getting a little nervous. I am 4 days away from the big event. I am scheduled for surgery at 8:30am but have to be there at 6:30. I was wondering what happens between the time you get there and when you go into surgery? I am going to the hospital on Monday to do all the pre admin stuff and the lady who called said that when I arrived on Wed that I would go straight up to surgery. So what goes on for two hours before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2005, 03:15 PM
What goes on between . . .

Hello there,

I will be interested to hear also, as my surgery is also on the 5th, at 10:30, and they have asked me to arrive at 8:30. My doctor said I would meet the anesthesiologist, and talk with him. I'm presuming the time will be spent getting changed into the appropriate hospital attire, making, making sure that all the numbers match (I just gave blood to be typed and tested today, and have a wonderful orange bracelet), making sure that the pints of blood I gave in advance match, and everything else. My doctor said he and the oncologist would arrive around 10:15, and everything would go from there.

Take care, Nancy
Unread 10-01-2005, 03:18 PM

Hi,
The last couple of days can be nerve-wracking. Try to keep busy so you don't have too much time to dwell on it.

They want you at the hospital early to fit their routine, since they will have a lot of patients all coming in at the same time. You'll sit in the waiting room for a bit until they call you. Then you'll change your clothes, use the bathroom, talk to your Dr, talk to the anesthesiologist and the nurses. They'll start your IV, maybe have you sign some last minute paperwork. They'll ask you again about allergies and medications. Tell you where you'll go and when. Some women are shaved or have an enema at this point, but not everybody. It varies by hospital. My anesthesiologist gave me something while in the holding area that made me not remember anything from that point on. I highly recommend that if it is an option for you.

It all went by very quickly once they got started. The only part I found nerve-wracking was sitting in the waiting room while they called others first. Then I was too busy to be stressed.
Ashley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2005, 03:36 PM

Hi

I arrived at 11am and went to theatre at 2pm. All sorts happened during that 3 hours! I unpacked all my bits and pieces. They filled in admission forms and checked a specimen to make sure I wasn't pregnant! They checked pulse, BP and temperature. The Anaesthetist came to chat to me, as did my Surgeon. The Ward Sister came and shaved me ... that really tickled! They bought my wonderful (open-at-the-back) gown and sexy net panties. I also wrestled for ages trying to get those extremely tight anti-clot stockings on ... Finally they taped up any jewellery I couldn't remove.

After all that I was exhausted and quite happy to climb aboard the trolley!

Wishing you all the best.

Unread 10-01-2005, 03:37 PM

It's already been answered you question pretty well.

The only things I have to add is that my ordered those stockings that help circulate your blood. The nurse helped me get them on.

And for my first surgery they also put on "boots" that inflated and deflated to help move the blood. Those took a little getting used to after I wook up post-op but it felt good. You know how sometimes you need to feel all wrapped up and cozy? That's how they made me feel.

For my first trip to the castle I also remember being wheeled into the operating room, and thinking, that it's got to be bigger than it was. They had me scoot over to the other table. The only other thing I remember is putting my arms straight out so they could strap them down so I didn't move too much. I know that sounds bad, but I can't think of a better way to explain it. (I'm having trouble thinking today, the doctor says its hormonal and we are working on in.)

That's all I remember.

One thing I do remember is waking up afterward and thinking it was the best sleep I ever had. I woke up very refreshed. Tired, but refreshed. Hope you have that feeling, it was great!

Unread 10-01-2005, 05:29 PM

I had to arrive at the hospital at 5:30am and was wheeled into surgery around 7am. The in between time actually flew by pretty quickly, a friend of mine kept me laughing and in good spirits. First I checked in then was taken back to a little tiny room of my own, asked to change into the lovely gown they provide. Then just hung out for a bit, then a nurse came in and asked lots of questions, took my weight and vitals. Hung out for awhile longer, then had to get in bed while they asked more questions, placed an iv, and told me what was going on. The Dr. popped in to say hi and to see if I was doing ok, the anesthesiologist popped in to to introduce herself. Then next thing I know I am being wheeled away, saying by to my friend and my parents. They took me to sx, put me on the sx table, hooked my up to all the gizmos, put the oxygen mask over my face, told me to think of something that made me happy, then bonk, I was out.
Unread 10-01-2005, 05:55 PM

I thought the same thing about being there 2 hours early. But it went by fast like most are saying. I got there got checked into the surgery ward and had to check in all my meds. (that took a while). Got changed and went into another room on a gurney and they took my BP and I got the IV. My dr. came in to see how I was doing.
Then the anesthiologist was giving something to relax me and said "Here are your 2 martinis-you get to pick what flavor they are!" And the next thing I remembered was waking up in the recovery room!
Unread 10-01-2005, 06:08 PM

it sounds like onceyou get to the hospital you are so busy that you dont really have time to think and worry. this waiting is what is driving me crazy. I have 10 days left until i go to the castle. i try to keep busy but some days are so long. i was really glad to read about what happens when you get to the hospital. this site is a godsend to me. it helps to ease my mind so much. thank you all my new friends for the help.
Unread 10-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Hi, lovemybc!

I think the best place on the site to find answers to your question is here:

Tell Your Hyst Story

The "Tell Your Hyst Story" forum contains hundreds of "Castle Tales" in which members detail their experience in the hospital, from the time they arrive until the time they go home.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 10-01-2005, 07:31 PM

I had to get there at 5:30 a.m. and the surgery was for 7:30 a.m. During this time we filled out papers in the Admissions area. Then they took me to the "pre op" area where I put on the gown, the cap, the foot coverings, and they wrapped my legs with these puffy white velcro things that massaged my legs for circulation. A lady came in a shaved me a little "down there" in case it turned abdominal. It was quick and not too embarrassing. Then a nurse talked to me, the anesthesiologist started the IV and chatted with me. Finally, the doctor came in to say hello. (Sometimes they come in and sometimes they don't - depends on the doctor.) I said G-byes to family and they wheeled me off. I remember entering the surgery room, briefly looking around, and that must be where they gave me the stuff that knocked me out. I woke up, it seemed no time at all later to the loving faces of my family. That's my story if it helps anyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register