Not Scheduled Scar Tissue in Uterus - Long | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scar Tissue in Uterus - Long Scar Tissue in Uterus - Long

Unread 04-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Scar Tissue in Uterus - Long

I had my hysterosonogram yesterday, and the doctor told me I have a lot of scar tissue inside my uterus that has apparently formed since my endometrial ablation in 2005. He told me he couldn't do the endometrial biopsy because it would have hurt me too badly; that he wants to take me to the OR and have me be asleep when he does the biopsy, plus he said he wants to "clean out" the scar tissue from my uterus.

He prescribed Flagyl and Keflex for the next 3 weeks (4 Keflex a day! -- I'm scared it's going to give me diarrhea!) and I have an appointment May 4 to talk to him about scheduling surgery.

I asked him why he didn't just want to go ahead and do a hysterectomy? He said he has to do the biopsy to make sure there isn't any cancer. He said he doesn't think I have cancer, but he has to know before he can do a hysterectomy. I said "What if there IS cancer?" and he said a GYN oncologist would have to do the hysterectomy because he wouldn't be able to do it since he's not an oncologist, and he is leaving it up to me whether or not to have the operation for him to do the biopsy and "clean out" my uterus of scar tissue. I know already that the answer to that is YES -- I actually want him to do a hysterectomy -- I'm tired of dealing with all the pain and uncertainty!

Of course I have thought of 100 questions since I left his office...I don't want to have a surgery to clean out the scar tissue and then ANOTHER surgery to have a hysterectomy -- I want them to go ahead and do a hysterectomy whether there is cancer or not -- I asked him if the scar tissue won't just come back, and he said "it shouldn't"...I don't want to keep having these episodes of severe abdominal pain and I don't want to live in fear that I'm going to have it.

Can they do a biopsy and get the result while I'm still out in the OR and then either him do the hysterectomy or an oncologist do it?

Should I NOT want to have a hysterectomy?

I don't know what to do or what questions to ask. Should I go to another doctor and get a second opinion?

Help, please -- I need advice, suggestions, support...

Thank you,

Dana B.
Houston, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Re: Scar Tissue in Uterus - Long

I had the an ablation also and scar tissue had formed and my dr wasn't able to do a biopsy either. I had a hysterectomy on Mar 22nd not knowing if I had cancer or not. Thank goodness there was no cancer. The hysterectomy is the best thing I could have done. I feel great. If they are not sure if there is cancer or not (if you are having abdominal surgery) the incision will be vertical (which tends to take a little longer to heal-my sister had this happen to her last year)vs. horizontal. My dr. took the chance and my incision is horizontal. I wish someone would've suggested to put me out and do the biopsy. But that's just my opinion. Hope this helps a little.
Best of luck to you.
Unread 04-24-2010, 07:24 AM

I am in the same boat. I was scheduled for a D&C last Friday so they could biopsy and clean me out. Well, long story short, the insurance wouldn't pay for the D&C and a hyster right after. I spoke to my Dr and he said since there isn't any risk of cervical cancer, he is going to do the TAH/BSO, do a frozen biopsy while I'm out, and if it's cancer in either my uterius or ovary (problems with both) he has a surg/onc on standby to assist. Every Dr is different though. The best thing to do is talk to him/her, tell them your fears, ask tons of questions, weigh your options, and go with your gut. It's your body and sometime you have to take control. Hope this helps a little.
Misti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2010, 02:27 PM

I'm glad to see that you're having testing done to see what is going on with you.

That being said, I think that it is too early (way to early, in fact) to conclude that you need a hysterectomy at this time. You don't really have any answers as to what is causing your pain, and without answers, there's no way of knowing if removing your uterus will help matters.

Unless you know for sure that a hysterectomy is the best (and last) resort you have for regaining your health, I would personally not have this major surgery. And often times there are treatments which can delay (or even eliminate) the need for such an invasive surgery.

Even if you do get a definite diagnosis, a hysterectomy isn't always the best treatment. For example, many ladies assume that they need a hysterectomy when they have endometriosis, when in fact endo can often persist after surgery.

I absolutely agree that you should get a second (and a third, and a fourth, if you feel you need them) opinion before having a hysterectomy. There are too many risks associated with the operation to go into it without very careful consideration.

One thing I can tell you is that scar tissue can return after it is removed. In fact, often times the surgery to remove scar tissue actually causes more scar tissue to develop! Some of us (like me) just tend to produce more scar tissue than others. This doesn't mean that it will happen for you, but it can happen.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register