Six days to go before TAH Very Scared :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Six days to go before TAH Very Scared :( Six days to go before TAH Very Scared :(

Unread 08-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Six days to go before TAH Very Scared :(

Hi,
I have to go to the big castle on wednesday for a TAH.
The closer I get the bigger my butterflies get. I am so scared! But I have no choice. I just have to go and be brave.
Thank you to all my hyster sisters for your support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2007, 08:53 PM

Hi there and best wishes to you for next week. Though I had my hyst last year, I will be having surgery next week too. For me I am looking forward to it to relieve my pain. I am having my right ovary removed. As I am sure you have read on here...the waiting is the worst part. Good luck and take care....Lisa
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:22 PM

I had the SAME surgery and was FREAKED out BIG TIME. You are going to do great. I woke up in the post op and said to myself, "I got that worked up over this?" It is just not that bad. You can handle this. You are going to be fine. All of the feelings you are having are very normal. We all say this but it is so true.... the WAITING is BY FAR the HARDEST part. I'm 6 weeks post op and feeling soooo much better. I won't lie, week 1 was rough. Each week was better with a setback and then you'd have a great day to show you that there was light at the end of the tunnel. We are all sending you the best wishes. Expect to get more and more nervous... just go with it. If staying busy doesn't keep your mind off of things...that's normal too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2007, 12:02 AM

I do not know what I would do without you my sisters.
I love you all
Unread 08-25-2007, 02:39 AM

Misshyster speaks the truth !!
The waiting is the hardest part!

I had a TAH and was told that my incision would be from my pubic bone to the top of my belly button. ME, who doesn't even like to visit other people who are in the hospital!!! They were going to operate on ME!!
I didn't know what I was going to do.
I thought I'd go crazy just thinking about it!

Because, let me tell you, ( long pause for dramatic affect, eyebrows raised)

when i DO visit someone who's in the castle , I am always looking over my shoulder making sure a nurse doesn't try to stick me with a needle!!

But, I just decided to get my room ready for my homecoming (because when u come home U become a queen!) and put the procedure out of my mind. I can't call it the O word, it's too scary!! It is a procedure!!

When I walked into the operating room....... ( yes indeedy! i said WALKED) , now, B4 I finish the sentence, who else has WALKED into the operating room?
R E A L L Y !!! CRAZY I TELL YA!!

.........(finishing sentence) I tried to not look around. But you know that urge!! As much as you try to fight it, you just have to look!

BUT, it was so flippin cold (like the North Pole B4 global warming!) that I couldn't focus on anything. So that was good. It took my mind off of me thinking "what kind of flippin idiots am I letting do this to me?"

So, someone quickly put that very thought back into my head when they said "OK, hop up on the table" SO, AGAIN ........I'm thinkin, what kind of flippin idiots ARE these people!!

I have a ten pound uterus in me and this lady is telling me to HOP up on a table????

I'm a year shy of 50, i wasn't Hopping ANYWHERE!!

Somehow they got me up on the table and I asked to talk to the anesthesiologist B4 I was put to sleep.
I made him promise that he wouldn't let the doc touch me until I was completely out!!!
Cause REALLY, they made me WALK in there!
I wasn't about to trust them completely!!

So just ask your doc ahead of time how you will be transported to the ROOM, and if they will give you something ahead of time to keep your nerves under control. They didn't give me any meds ahead of time.
But I was almost laughing because I was waiting for a camera crew to come around the corner and tell me I was on a bloopers and practical jokes show!! I was thinking, "this HAS to be a joke!!"

But as far as the recovery went, it wasn't all that bad. Pain meds were great! You will be very tired at times so get plenty of rest!! :timeup:
You might feel a little energetic one day because you won't be as bad as you are expecting to be. But don't take this opportunity to do any housework. If you don't get enough rest, you will extend your recovery.

I'll be thinking about the ladies in waiting and hope that all goes well for you!!
Unread 08-25-2007, 03:10 AM

hi, i know just how you feel, i am 4 months post op and for the weeks leading up to it i was petrifried!!!! The morning i went in my blood pressure was through the roof and i had to be given a sedative to calm me down i was so anxious! BUT when i woke up later that day it was not as bad as i thought, yes a little pain and discomfort but nothing too major and i hate pain!! and the stress had gone so i felt better mentally already. The day after the op was the worst but then each day just got better and better i could not believe how fast my recovery was and i am 49 as well.
The waiting is in some ways worse than the op so just hang in there
Unread 08-25-2007, 04:24 AM

You'll do great, I promise!! I worried myself into hyperventilating a hundred times leading up to my surgery. I got zero sleep the night before and just a big ball of nerves.

The funny part was when they gave me some "happy juice" in the pre-op room I went out for the count. On ONLY happy juice. It was just suppose to calm me down. My husband caught my head just as I started sliding right off the bed. He said the staff had a huge laugh about it. I just was out and that was the last thing I remember until I woke up an instant later and it was all over and I was in my room feeling absolutely zero pain. I was giddy with relief (and morphine, ha ha ha) and was just having a good old time with the nurses. I got to laughing so hard that I tooted and they said "Well we don't have to wait for that now" and I was so mortified!

What I'm basically trying to say thru all of my ramblings is that it will go great and it's nothing like what we imagine it will be. The doctors and nurses are pros at what they do and they are compassionate and caring.

Just be the princess you deserve to be during this time because it will be a long time or never for it to happen again and girlfriend you deserve it!

Unread 08-25-2007, 04:55 AM

gigi65,

my surgery is on Friday, I must admit, although I don't feel as bad as I ahve been over the past few months, i am getting nervous, i constantly have butterflies.

Good Luck on Wednesday, you will be in my prayers, soon we will both be princess'
Unread 08-25-2007, 05:31 AM

Hi,
I thought I'd stop by on this side and see if I can lend support to those of you who are going through what I did only 6 weeks ago.

Similar to what some of the other sisters implied, it is the anticipation leading up to the surgery that is the worse part of this whole process. I had a TAH/LSO (I still have my right ovary - it is healthy and was left in so that I didn't have to go through instant menopause). I was a wreck and was even crying in the prep room before going into the surgical unit. When I woke up several hours later, I was so relieved - not only that the surgery was over, but all the problems associated to why I had the surgery were gone!

I guess the best words I can offer are to focus on the outcome. You are having the surgery for some reason that is undoubtably interferring in the quality of your life.

Recovery - well, yes, it will take time. Take it slow and don't be impatient. It is your time to be pampered! There are threads on this website about virtually every side affect or after affect you might encounter.

I am going back to work on Monday. It will be nice to see my co-workers and to get back into the swing of things again. I wish you luck and sending best wishes for a healthy and gentle recovery. Be good to yourself.

P.S. I don't know if you are having problems with anemia - I had a lot of difficulties because of my heavy bleeding prior to surgery and I can tell you that I already feel a difference!!!!
Unread 08-25-2007, 10:17 AM
sending BIG Hugs!

gigi, sending thoughts and prayers your way for an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery!

s! See you on the other side in a couple of weeks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register