The belly that keeps hanging | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The belly that keeps hanging The belly that keeps hanging

Unread 10-16-2006, 06:10 PM
The belly that keeps hanging

I am feeling like this pouch that hangs over my poot will never go away. I had a little one before, after two c-sections, but this thing that I'm left with is awful. I'm actually shedding some tears at the moment. If I had known I'd have something like this...if I'd had more time to plan, I would have planned to have a plastic surgeon on-hand to clean up the mess afterwards. My surgery was a bikini cut, I love my doctor, and I had no complications. But I feel so fat and gross. I gained 15 lbs. after the surgery and have since taken it off. I'm overweight but this belly is so uncomfortable. It's still numb but if anyone out there has what I have, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. I just want to know from those experienced in this...will it ever go away or do I have to save up my money and have surgery to remove this thing. Not to mention...I went to an amusement park yesterday and rode an old fashioned roller coaster and the bar kept hitting it, reinforcing the fact that it's there.

Anyone out there, please tell me your experience. I'd really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2006, 06:50 PM

Hey Silenagig ~ I'm sorry that you are in this mess... I had a "boobydo" (term given to females when "belly sticks out more than the booby do" which is a spoof of the male version dickydo) a number of years ago. Sorry if that seems a little TMI but that's what I called it. Nothing helped it whatsoever. Sure, I was overweight but it remained my tv-tray no matter what weight I gained or lost, no matter what crunches I did or didn't. Anyhow, after much debate I had a tummy tuck. Though I'm not as flat now as I was in the years following, it's still been a life saver for my mental wellbeing. I'm not here to suggest surgery and in fact, think that we sometimes are too eager to go that route. But I couldn't stand the site of my belly. Heck, if I bent over just the right way I had gut cleavage! YUCK!!! So I financed the TT and haven't ever looked back. It isn't a perfect procedure and I did lose all sensation from my navel to my pubic bone. The coast-to-coast scar isn't really below the bikini cut. And one side of the scar -- about 4 inches in length -- has a bit of a pooch to it. It's from scar tissue under the incision so can't be corrected. But I am relieved that I had the TT. It was to me a very painful surgery and I wouldn't dream of doing it at the same time as a hysterectomy; but some women do have them at the same time.

There is also another surgery called a panniculectomy. At the risk of sounding really harsh, it's where the surgeon just cuts off the excess tissue and fat beneath it. No pulling of the abdominal wall or strengthening ligaments. Just a sort of "hack job" as my plastic surgeon called it. I remember seeing a couple of posts on here a couple of months ago about that type of surgery.

I don't know the current costs on either procedure. But I'm sure you can get ballpark prices in your area by contacting a PS. They may require a consult before giving you that info... and those are usually about $100... but it would applied to the cost of services should you go that route.

Best wishes ~
Unread 10-16-2006, 07:17 PM

Thank you so much for writing back to me. I just can't stand it anymore. I feel awful and it's really bothering me. I wouldn't mind being overweight nearly as much if I didn't that that thing hanging over. I hate it. I've been thinking of surgery, too, so, don't feel bad about suggesting it. I'm pear shaped and my face "saves" me but I just feel so fat and ugly right now.

Funny that you say "booby-do". One of my friend's daughters says "booty do" haha.

Whatever ya wanna call it, it's there. I thought it would be gone by now but it's not. And in a couple of weeks, I'll have my one year anniversary. It *****. I wasn't feeling bad before the surgery, didn't even know that I had a fibroid growing in there. I went to the doctor almost two weeks ago for my yearly pap and I told her all of that, too. She told me that I could get it taken care of it I wanted to, and smiled. She's a marathon runner and has 3 kids, and looks great. I also had slightly raised blood pressure, probably from being nervous just being in the doc's office. We did some bloodwork to check thyroid, etc., and everything was ok. But she did suggest to me that I may want to switch back over to my estrogen cream (Estrasorb). I went ahead and did it before my results came back. Maybe it'll help with the weight a little teeny bit but this pouch...

Thank you again so much...it's so good to have someone respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2006, 09:23 PM

Hi ,

I am sorry that you are sad ,

I have that too, very self consious about it. This makes the second abdominal surgery for me (I now have a cross on my tummy ). I also am over weight, but am working on that (hoping that will help some).

I hope you start feeling better and not so sad .
Unread 10-16-2006, 09:41 PM

Hey Joy ~ If it's any consolation... will a cross on your tummy keep the vampires away? Just teasing -- but hope it made you smile! I wish we could just put a few slits in our ankles to let all the gravy run out... and then suture them back up. That's my dream anyhow! Pleasant dreams, my hystersisers!
Unread 10-17-2006, 12:26 AM

I am with ya on the unsightly bulge I now possess. I am not sure that even knowing what I know now, if I would have changed it at all. I am sooo happy to have that huge fibroid mass gone, and the incessant bleeding that went with it. But I do feel ugly at times now too. My niece has a great plastic surgeon and I am thinking it may be worth it to find out what my options are. And a boobie lift to go with it. Her boobies are fantastic! LOL.
Unread 10-17-2006, 12:28 AM

Hey Shellby -- did you use to post on Talk City?

About the booby lift, I had a breast reduction with a lift. My DH swears they were lifted right off of me or reduced to nothing. I could go for a little tiny implant. Wonder if there is a plastic surgeon convention we could all crash!
Unread 10-17-2006, 12:32 AM

Never heard of Talk City, sorry. My cousin actually had a breast lift and I thought they took too much. I would have a breast lift with an implant. If they can look even a small bit like my niece's I would be happy. Her surgeon made them look so natural. I used to be a 34DD and now after 2 kids that I nursed they are 36C-LOW.
Unread 10-17-2006, 12:36 AM

I was a 40 DDD and now am a 39 B-C.... so BIG difference. I told DH when I'm healed from this, I'll do the implants as a reward for his good behavior. We'll see though... first he has to continue being good, and second ... he may change his mind and decide he likes the chichis and isn't so attached to the chichonas!

About being low... each time someone sang that "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"... I felt it was being sung to me!
Unread 10-17-2006, 12:38 AM

My niece is now a 38DD. She is 5foot 8 so she can carry the size well. But I still look and think Jeez! You wanted to be how big? LOL. Like I said they look really natural, too. My hubby doesn't care. At least he doesn't say he does.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register