Hysterectomy yesterday - I thought I would lose weight, not gain! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy yesterday - I thought I would lose weight, not gain! Hysterectomy yesterday - I thought I would lose weight, not gain!

Unread 05-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Hysterectomy yesterday - I thought I would lose weight, not gain!

I had a TVH yesterday. I was hoping that by losing my uterus, Fallopian tubes and large fibroid I would lose a couple of pounds but I gained them instead. Could this just be from the iv fluids? Or swelling? Other than that I'm doing well. I stayed one night in the hospital which helped with the initial pain management. I came home today and just have some minor pain and a lot of fatigue. Hope everyone else is doing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Re: I thought I would lose weight, not gain!

It's mostly fluids now, but don't worry about weight now. Just worry about healing.

I had a massive fibroid out with everything else and never lost weight. Actually gained from being benched for 6+ weeks. Only losing weight now 3 months out.

The important thing is to rest and heal. Eat right, and drink tons of water!

Hang in there!
Unread 05-04-2016, 07:12 PM

Thanks Misty. You're right, I will focus on healing. I was hoping weight loss would be a fringe benefit. But really, I am just happy that the surgery is behind me and I can move forward with my recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2016, 07:17 PM

I had so much fluid retention and swelling after my surgery it was crazy! I had to get undies 4 sizes bigger than normal (not joking). At my 2 week check up my weight was only 1lb more than on my surgery day, and I'm still puffy. Don't worry at all about the scale or your clothes fitting for at least 8 weeks, if not more.
Unread 05-04-2016, 08:36 PM

Dont bother trying to try to make sense of hysterectomy & weight for a few months. I had a fibroid w enlarged uterus tgat weighed 1697 grams, thats under 4 lbs... After surgery when I got home, I lost 12 lbs. So aprox 4 lb uterus doesnt equate to 12 lb loss. I lost another lb. Then I gained like 6 or 7 lbs back. During this whole time, swelly belly has plagued me, even w the loss, I was swollen like pre op... The more active I am, the mire swelling, so it dirsnt nake sense.. So swelling, fluids, etc.. Weight will go up & down & I dont think its an accurate determination until we're better healed a few months out. So just focus on healing & your recovery.
Unread 06-13-2016, 06:58 AM
Re: Hysterectomy yesterday - I thought I would lose weight, not gain!

I am now day 5 post full hysterectomy and fallopian tube removal (kept my ovaries). My main "side effect" has been massive fluid retention. I looked like a stuffed sausage the first day! It is slowly getting better -- the fluid is being reabsorbed. I'm a small-boned, thinnish person, and when I got home my legs, abdomen, face, etc. looked extremely big and bloated. The skin was also painful to the touch. But it is definitely better every day. I'm sure I gained a bunch of weight (I don't have scale, but I could see that I was enormous), but I expect that I will be the same as I was before the surgery in a couple of weeks. Try not to stress about this. Keep your focus on your healing and self-care. You will get better. Too bad no one warns you before hand, though.....so thank you hystersisters for being there afterwards!
Unread 06-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Re: Hysterectomy yesterday - I thought I would lose weight, not gain!

I walked out of the hospital 10 pounds heavier than I went in, and I hadn't eaten anything! It was all fluids. It will go away soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register