I wonder why? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I wonder why? I wonder why?

Unread 06-11-2006, 12:07 PM
I wonder why?

I wonder why my gyn says I still can't push a cart and I am on the same restrictions I am 4 weeks post op tommorrow. I am on the same restriction as I am when I left the hostipal. I had an tah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2006, 12:14 PM
I wonder why?

Can't help you with that as I am only at 3 weeks. I know that for me it'll probably be better if my Dr. told me not to do much...I am likely to go beyond what I'm supposed to. I do know that if a cart is too full it can be pretty heavy and that's a lot of strain on the abs!
Unread 06-11-2006, 12:17 PM
I wonder why?

Hey Emily, the only restriction that changed from castle release to my 6 week mark was driving. Everything else: weight restrictions, running the vacuum, working, pushing carts, etc stays the same for the whole recovery period. I think it has more to do with the internal healing that the external.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2006, 12:38 PM
I wonder why?

My post-op instructions were no driving 2 weeks, no lifting over 10 lbs for 6 weeks. No activities like vaccuuming, pushing a cart for 6 weeks.
I had a TAH (open abdominal case). I did lots of walking starting week 2. Gently swimming about week 3/4. I did try to do some light weight lifting 10-20lbs and lo-impact aerobics (Week 4) but think it was TOO much too soon. I had incisional pain for about 8 months, (probably from overdoing it.) REMEMBER YOU ONLY HAVE ONE CHANCE TO HEAL! I'm not an expert, but my dr told me it takes at least 6 weeks for all the incisions (internal & external) to heal . After 6 weeks a gradual return to more strenous activity is recommended. Aftr 6 weeks my GYN recommended swimming, walking, moderate aerobic activity. She said if it hurts a little you are probably ok, if it hurts alot stop.
My surgery was pretty straight forward, no complications. You may have more or less restrictions based on how difficult your surgery was, and what all they had to do etc. As always it's best to listen to your DR. and do what they say. (even if you feel like dancing ). I found the motion required to push things (like a vaccuum) was particulary uncomfortable.
Be good to yourself-
Unread 06-11-2006, 04:20 PM
I wonder why?

Dear Hoolahoop...
....surprised you were allowed to swim at 3 or 4 weeks. I was not released for swimming or baths until 6 weeks. Guess it just depends on the patient and the doctor. I agree that you only get one chance to heal, so do not overdo it.
Unread 06-11-2006, 04:43 PM
I wonder why?

I should add that my Dr. only let me swim in a "chlorinated" pool at 4 weeks. I swam without authorization prior to that. Silly me. It was very uncomfortable at first. I, of course wasn't setting any world records, except for the slowest dog-paddle. But ultimately, swimming was very good for my recovery.
Unread 06-11-2006, 06:49 PM
I wonder why?

I finally got the green light to push a cart around last week. Thinking it was no big deal, I hit the grocery store. Wanted to make lasagne. Got home and my belly was so swollen and sore! Stayed puffy the rest of the day and night. So even though you can safely push a cart around, make your first trips small ones!
Unread 06-12-2006, 12:41 PM
I wonder why?

I had the same restrictions all the way from day 1 to six weeks out. At my 2 wk check up everything I asked for was no,no,NO!! I was frustrated but he was the dr. He should know. I went to 4wk check up and still everything was no. I finally asked if he knew any other answer than no and he said no. So he has a sense of humor HAHA not so funny then, but funny now. He did say it was more for the internal healing. I most definetly did not want another trip to the castle for repairs on what I could damage by doing stuff to soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register