Hysterectomy because of fibroids? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy because of fibroids? Hysterectomy because of fibroids?

Unread 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Re: Hysterectomy because of fibroids?

Hello Ladies! It is great to read all these stories (although I am sorry we are all going through this!) I was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago with multiple fibroids all throughout my uterus. At my recent ultrasound the tech said she could see why they would be causing the heavy bleeding, cramping and clots I have been having. They are all in the muscle of the uterus and relatively small, the largest about like a walnut. I am waiting for my doctors call about the ultrasound results and then we will make what I think is the pre-op appt. to discuss hysterectomy. He said that because there is no prolapse I am not a good candidate for a vaginal hyst. My uterus is about 12 week size but I am a small woman. I did have a baby 18 years ago. I was surprised that I didnt qualify for a less invasive hysterectomy. He said a TAH was what he would do. I like him, and he is actually the 2nd doc I have seen for my condition. We have tried bcp's: disaster for me, and because we may loose our health insurance I thought it would be best to take care of this now, rather then wait or try for a temporary solution which it seems the artery embolization and the ablation tend to be. I am 43 so I have quite a while to wait for menopause to 'shrink' the fibroids. My doctor didnt encourage me to have the surgery. He actually took a slower approach than me! But I have put up, and put up with all of the discomfort, worry about accidents, spotting and cramps all month long, waking at night during my period every hour or so, soaked, it just gets to be too much. You dont realize how much you are putting up with!! And I have so much pressure and discomfort that our sex life is down the drain. I guess my question for you all is if anyone had a LAVH or a TVH did you have prolapse? or many children? Just curious, and I dont really want to go to a 3rd doctor. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2009, 07:31 PM

For: Imajrzygrl2.

I might not being saying something you want to hear..and you might get a 3rd opinion.

In pre-op and in talking to my Dr. and from being on Hyster Sisters...it is my understanding that a Hyster Sister is a good candidate for a vaginal hyst due to the size of the uterus and that prolapse can-or-cannot also be a consideration with a vaginal hyst. A Hyster Sister can still have a vaginal hyst even if prolapse is not present. My Dr. originally talked to me about doing a LAVH and I do not have prolapse. We decided on a LSH, since I had a sturdy cervix.

I might suggest you question your Dr. about whether he can perform less invasive hysts...laparoscopic or a TVH. I got (2) opinions....and my 1st Dr. recommended a TAH and told me that I was not a good candidate for a laparoscopic hyst. My 2nd Dr. disagreed. I found out later that my 1st Dr. could *not* do laparoscopic hysts. Funny how she never mentioned that at my hyst consultation!!!!

I have been on Hyster Sisters five years now..and I have seen Hyster Sisters with your uterus size with fibroids replying that they were having a less invasive hyst. So...I can suggest...research it more...get another opinion...until you feel comfortable with a decision that works for you.

Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 04-30-2009, 09:53 AM

Dear JC, by the looks of everyones replies, you can see that ultimately the decision is yours and each individual case is different. My mother had a hysterectomy shortly after my birth at age 34 or so; that would have been 1967. A LOT of things have changed in medicine since our mothers were having hysterectomies. She was also a surgical nurse and had seen loads of unnecessary surgeries over the years. She had instilled a strong belief in me to "keep all body parts as long as humanly possible." She would say,"There are too many things that can go wrong during and post surgery." Okay, sure. I agree with her to an extent. There are too many things that can go wrong getting in your car and driving away from your home, but it doesn't keep us from doing it. There are things in life that we have to do and places we have to go. JC, what it got down to for me is this. I found out I had fibroids in September of 2005, and they were very small, not causing too many issues and I could live with them. I am an athlete, which during running season, completely fixed my problems as they progressed over the years. Running (a lot) helped get me back to normal periods, regular bleeding and virtually no pain, until the fibroids got bigger and started causing more problems. They would always seem to get bigger and stronger each winter when I curtailed my running and then training would fix it again until the following winter. So, the long and short of it was, I had a modicum of control of my situation, at least temporarily. I was biding time until the MRI Guided Focused Ultrasound (my "surgery of choice") would come out of the "Investigational" stage and my insurance would cover it. Finally, these darn fibroids started causing me trouble during intercourse, ridiculous bleeding, anemia, fatigue, pain and thusly concern about really what was going on inside my body. One of my dear friends decided in January of this year to get a hysterectomy at 38, and I thought she was crazy. To answer your statement about cancer, here is what happened in her case. Although her fibroids didn't develop into cancer, the doctor had tested the cervix pre surgery, and told her that cancer cells had begun to develop in there and she would have been dealing with that had she not decided to do the hysterectomy. So, although she hadn't developed cancer yet, in dealing with her fibroids through hysterectomy, she discovered the problem before it had a chance to develop. Good timing, eh? She also discovered that other problems she'd been dealing with, like constipation were stemming from her fibroids. Her uterus was attached to her rectum "like wallpaper". She gave me the name of her doctor and I went to him immediately. He was, by the way, the fourth doctor I had seen for fibroids. Nothing like a second, third and fourth opinion. That's what I always say. In doing my surgery, he discovered one large fibroid attached to my bladder, one large one attached to my large intestine. Thankfully he got them both out with no problem. The only difficulties I had during the surgical process and hospital stays were, I had bled so much prior to the surgery that I was completely anemic. Blood iron level was at 9.2 pre surgery, 7.4 post surgery (14 or above is normal). Secondly, I have a sensitivity to pain medications. They all make me sick. Quite honestly, after two days I gave up trying the pain meds, and it wasn't so bad after that.
Here is what I'm looking forward to: A new energy level, the ability to stand up without bleeding down to my ankles (I work on a plane, so that would be nice), enjoying sex with my husband again, being able to workout without having to build my days around how much I expect to bleed that day and even just being able to wear a skirt once in a while without the fear of...well, you know. Anyway JC, you have a fine group of individuals here to support you PRE decision, whatever that is. I didn't locate this group until a few days after my surgery. We are here to answer and help in any way we can. Good luck to you in your search. Oh, one last thing...almost every nurse that helped me in the hospital had had a hysterectomy, and not one of them had anything bad to say about their decsion. They all commented on how much better they felt afterward, and how it was the best decision of their lives. I have hope that I'll soon be one of those ladies too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM

Italgal, You are a few days after surgery how are you feeling now? I was hoping to only need pain meds for a few days because they completely knock me out.
Unread 04-30-2009, 11:03 AM

I feel great, i don't even need my pain pills and feel i could return to work. The worst part was 2 days ago when I finally had my first bowel movement, having a baby was less pain and I did everything I was supposed to have done but now I feel great!!!!! Best decision I have made!!
Unread 04-30-2009, 12:09 PM

JC, I feel terrific! The hardest part initially is the immense bloating and gas pains. I didn't have any preconceived ideas or good information so I wasn't sure if all that was normal. And yes, the first couple bowel movements are horrific, but there is help for that too. My suggestion is a VERY high fiber diet at least a week BEFORE surgery, coupled with a healthy intake of Dulcolax by day and a Senokot at night. I always had issues with constipation anyways and have since completely changed my diet. I also took significant advantage of a warm water enema both in the hospital and once since I've been home. Since then, no problems and everything seems to be working just fine on its own. Otherwise, everything is great. Each day gets better and I'm catching up on a lot of relaxation and reading. Let us know what you decide to do and know we're hear for you!
Unread 05-03-2009, 05:16 AM

JCHART,
Hi, i know that the choice to have this surgery was a tough one for me as well. Please know though that i am now day 10 from having a TAH and i am 10,000 times happy i decided to be brave and go through with this surgery.
I have no children and had been told at every miscarriage (6 in total) i would need a hysterectomy. I ran every single time. I was scared, i really wanted to have a natural child and i was young and i could'nt even come to terms that this might not ever happen for me.
Eventually the pain, bleeding and just plain sick and tired of being sick and tired" ALL the time won. If that makes any sense. I plunged ahead told my surgeon to book my OR and now like i already mentioned im on day 10, have some problems (infection).. but NEVER for one second in these last 10 days have regretted my choice to have this surgery. I know once i get this infection out of me it'll be nothing but sunny days ahead.
I wish you nothing but the best and make the choice that is right for you, not your Mother. Every single one of us has to do what is right for US not anyone else. G'luck with whatever choice you do end up making and please keep us updated.
Unread 05-15-2009, 12:01 PM

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your support and personal stories. I have scheduled a TAH for June 16. I did alot of sole searching, crying and praying. now that the decision is made, I have a strange sense of calm. I have a wonderful group of friends and neighbors and i know that the will take care of me during my recovery. I got the date that I asked for, my 3 children are all gone that week. I know they will be worried about me, but I will be 7 days post-op when my 13year old boys come home, and I am hoping to be up and about by then. Besides, that means that my husband can focus only on me for the first week. So now I am trying to put my ducks in a row, I plan to cancel all my meetings/comittments for a full month and focus on healing. I have a vacation to Sun River, Oregan planned in August to look forward to. I would love to hear back from the ladies who had their surgeries in April. Once again, thank you for your support.
Unread 05-15-2009, 12:14 PM

JC, I completely understand that sense of calm you mentioned. I too felt that calm after settling in with my decision. I am 3 weeks and 3 days post op and although I tend to tire out easily, shopping or taxiing the kids around town, I feel really great! There's still a bit of swelling at the site, and lifting tends to exacerbate that swelling, but overall I'm thrilled. One thing I have noticed is that when I nap, I actually feel rested afterward. I think the anemia is beginning to wane and I can't wait to be my new energetic self. Let us know if you need anything! Good plan btw having the kids gone that first week.
Unread 05-15-2009, 04:44 PM

jchart,
Glad you got your date! I understand the sense of calm once the decision is made. For me I think it was that I finally felt as if I was in control for a while. I could prepare myself for surgery with exercise, eating right, meditation tapes and helpful friends and family lined up to help post surgery.
I am 3 weeks and one day post LSH. I had my post op today and was cleared for normal activity, so look out world. :LOL:
My surgery was less invasive than a TAH, so you will have a different time line than I did.
But I will tell you that I am very happy with my decision. I can feel my belly without feeling that hard fibroid lump. I now have no pressure. My bladder is happy. I almost wish I had done it sooner, but this is a journey and I wasn't ready until I was ready if you know what I mean.
I wish you a good surgery and speedy recovery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register