Free to a good home: 64 oz bottle prune juice (minus two sips) GROSSSSS!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Free to a good home: 64 oz bottle prune juice (minus two sips) GROSSSSS!!! Free to a good home: 64 oz bottle prune juice (minus two sips) GROSSSSS!!!

Unread 10-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Free to a good home: 64 oz bottle prune juice (minus two sips) GROSSSSS!!!

UGH! There is no way on God's green earth I'm going to be able to drink this crappola after surgery! I've been experimenting and taste testing. Even the phosph soda for the bowel prep doesn't taste bad in comparison... and some of you lovely ladies actually drink it WARM??? GOD BLESS! I think I'd rather do the MOM thing, or the colase or the Smooth Move or ANYTHING other than this gooey brown yucky stuff........

I do hear it works great but I don't think it can help if I wretch it back up. Prunes themselves aren't so bad if I chop a couple up in a cup of yogurt and let them soak a little bit...

I've read a lot of the archives about softeners and bowel "aids". Anyone got anything recent to add that is an absolute favorite? I saw a recipe mixing Prune Juice with applesauce and oat bran but I have a feeling the pruny tasting tongue coating stuff would just shine through...

Thanks in advance for any fab recipes

Tracey in VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2008, 09:30 PM

OMG..I haven't laughed so hard in a month..I too have been taste testing..but thanks for the heads up on this one..I think I will leave the 'Yucky Brown stuff 'on the store shelf!
Unread 10-27-2008, 10:35 PM

Not a fan of prune juice, either. I like raisins, but most other dried fruit just doesn't quite do it for me.

I drank lots of water, took stool softeners, and drank strong black coffee. Even so, it took several weeks for my bowels to really get "back in business" on a regular basis.

Walking as much as possible also helped get things moving.

Remember, what works for one of us may not work at all for you. For instance, most laxatives make me so sick that it's just not worth it! So you'll not catch me taking any MOM either. On the other hand, bran muffins are really yummy (as are other fiber rich foods like veggies and beans) so I did add some of those to my diet to help things along.

I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2008, 07:23 AM

Ha ha, I threw a two sipper 1/2 gallon of this yucky concoction out!
Unread 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Try Plum Smart. I believe it actually has more fiber than prune juice(not sure). My son was on some medication that was causing problems in that area and wouldn't drink the prune juice. He loves the Plum Smart. I have tried it, it's not that bad!
Unread 10-28-2008, 12:43 PM

This is too cute. I feel the same way... I never could stand the "yucky brown stuff" I have tried chopping up prunes and adding them to a muffin mix. prune muffins. Not to bad either. I have tried the stool softners but they really didn't sem to do anything for me.

Best of luck,
Cristy
Unread 10-28-2008, 01:06 PM

OK here's my take on prune juice...you have to go to the health food store and buy a brand that is organic. The regular grocery store stuff tastes very burnt and harsh, and the organic variety is a lot mellower and smoother. Warm? No way, make sure it's ice ice cold and chug it. Or just eat some darned prunes, I did 5 a day until I didn't need them anymore.

nancy
Unread 10-28-2008, 03:46 PM

Yeah, if I HAVE to do prunes, it'll be the little indivdually packaged ones so I can pretend they are... candy? (sigh) I can tolerate them... Thanks for all the commiseration
Unread 10-28-2008, 04:11 PM

I'm not a big prune fan either. I found a pretty good alternative (at least I think they're pretty good). I was comparing the nutrition info on dates and prunes, and the dates actually had more dietary fiber than the prunes, and in a smaller serving size, too. Chop them up and add them to oatmeal (also a good source of fiber), and they're so yummy! And, if you've got a heck of a sweet tooth like me, you can cheat and buy the coconut date rolls....a date covered in sweet shredded coconut with an almond on top.....tastes just like candy! A sweet treat that's good for you, too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register