Undecided | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-19-2002, 07:56 AM
Undecided

I'm undecided about having a hysterectomy. I'm 51 years old and feel that all my symptoms are merely an "inconvenience". I'm concerned that I can see $$$ signs in my Doc's eyes when she talks about it. I have heavy bleeding and clotting on 3 days in the month and very painful cramps. I have had problems with being anemic. I've been on Yasmin and lost some hair and formed blood clots in superficial veins in my right arm. It did not stop the bleeding. I also bleed about 1/2 a teaspoon every morning. I also have cramps about every other day. I've had the heavy bleeding since 1995. I worked outside the home then and found myself running to the bathroom every half hour or "floating in my chair". I now run my own business from home so I don't have to worry about my employer looking down on me. Needless to say - no sex for many months. I'm on synthroid(small amount). I've read other posts and believe maybe I have a hormonal imbalance and possibly need more thyroid substitute. Does this sound possible? Have others researched more than me? Also my Mother had a stroke when she was 67 during a hysterectomy. She died 2 years later of coronary thrombosis while having gall bladder surgery (invasive).
I know that I need a second opinion but should that come from someone that could handle the hormone imbalance issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 11:19 AM
Undecided

Hi, ReliefWanted,

This is a big decision to make, and I'm glad you're doing your research before making a choice about a hysterectomy. I can understand your reservations, especially after your mother's unfortunate complications.

Most women who have a hysterectomy choose to do so because they wish to improve their quality of life. Only you can decide whether the bleeding and discomfort you're experiencing warrant having a hyst.

As you're probably aware, hysterectomy is major surgery, which requires six to eight weeks for initial recovery. Complete recovery takes six months to a year. Some women experience complications. In my opinion, hysterectomy should be chosen only after other options have been tried.

If you feel that you have a hormone inbalance, please share that information with the doctors who provide additional medical opinions for you. There are other medical treatments which can be utilized to treat heavy vaginal bleeding. Also, other surgical treatments exist, which are less invasive than hsyt. You may want to consider trying some of these other alternatives.

Good luck with your decision, and please let us know if we can provide information about specific treatments.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 03-19-2002, 03:06 PM
Undecided

Yikes! Those are alot of inconvenient symptoms. Have you discussed ablation with your Dr.? It's possible that yours are too big for that procedure if you have that much bleeding, but if you have many small ones ablation might help alleviate the bleeding. Here is a great site for fibroid information.

http://thefibroidplace.com/

I hope this helps you explore your options. The music is very nice, too.

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 08:11 PM
Undecided

reliefwanted

I'm 53 and have been waiting for menopause. Perhaps you are beginning menopause, perimenopause, and your hormones would be out of balance. In my case, while doing an endo biospsy to check out my fibroids, the tissue also showed low progestrone making me estrogen dominate. Fibroids love estrogen and that is why mine were growing rapidly again.

Your blood clots scare me not to mention your Mother's unfortunate passing from one. This is why I am not having a hysterectomy, which I finally decided that I wanted. While doing the pre op I mentioned my mother's clotting factor condition and my doctor ordered a clotting panel. I tested positive for anticardiolipin antibody and have cousins with Factor V. My doctor said it was too risky and because menopause should be around the corner to try and wait it out. Menopause is suppose to shrink the fibroids. I beg you to please consider having the clotting panel. Your mom having the stroke during surgery and then passing away while having another surgery is not a good sign.

Please feel free to e mail me if you have any other question.

Good luck, Maralyn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register