I am rethinking the bladder sling | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am rethinking the bladder sling I am rethinking the bladder sling

Unread 01-08-2009, 11:33 AM
I am rethinking the bladder sling

I was so excited about the sling and now I have been doing some reading and it seems like most of the complications come from the sling.
I guess I will have to really question the Dr. at pre op on how he plans to do this and is there and alternative.
Any input on having this done, the good the bad and the ugly of it all.
Truly, I am not that bad now, I don't want to be worse with the sling.
Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM

Kris,
In April I had a vaginal hysterectomy (kept ovaries) with cystocele and rectocele repair. My bladder issues were minor but the logic was they're only going in once so have it repaired now and not have to have surgery again in 5 years. I don't have any regrets, however recovery from the cystocele repair was longer than recovery from the hysterectomy. My doctor is a firm believer in using a catheter for the first few days after surgery, and in my case because I wasn't voiding enough I ended up having it for two weeks! Emotionally I wasn't prepared for that. But in hindsight two weeks isn't that long and like I said earlier I don't have any reqrets. I did have a full urinary workup beforehand so the doctor would know just how high to pull things up.
Good Luck!
bjt6
Unread 01-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Thanks for your response. I went in for the bladder testing right before Christmas. I asked about my cervix and he said it was coming out. I asked what kept my bladder from falling out. He said "hey maybe I will give you a bladder sling". Well, I guess I am picturing a hammock where my bladder is held up, not tape around my urethra. I think that is how it is done
I go for pre op on Jan 12th and I will really do a bit more research.
The last time I was in the waiting room another pre op patient was waiting and had already had them do a sling and she loved it. So, same Dr. and her having good results does make me feel more confident.
I already know I am going home with the catheter for 10 days so I am ready to drag around my liitle freind for awhile.
Thanks for the info, Kris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register