Confused-Lap Vs. TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused-Lap Vs. TAH Confused-Lap Vs. TAH

Unread 06-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Confused-Lap Vs. TAH

Ok, Hyster-Sisters, I need your input.
A friend of mine has presented me with a statement that I am trying not to second guess myself about.

She says I, at 43 am crazy to have a TAH/BSO for my Endometriosis, which I have been suffering with the past 28-30 years.

She thinks a lap would buy me at least a year or 2 especially since my body has been going through perimenopause. She thibnks I am nuts for having my ovaries removed, and have a whole new set of problems with menopause.

I feel that my big stomach is not just water retention. It looks like I am pregnant. I feel that it is an enlarged uterus. And my pain is definitley my Endo. My ultrasound showed my fibroids.

Question: Would an ultrasound have shown an enlarge uterus too?

I surely don't want to go into menopuase at age 43. I will use natural vitamins to help with the side effects. I am not interested in trying ERT/HRT.

What are your thoughts about this issue.
I know I will call my gyno, but I am asking all of your thoughts concerning this situation.
You can use the senario: If it were me....
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2003, 11:50 AM
Confused-Lap Vs. TAH

((((Teach))))))),

It is you and your Dr. who must make the decision of what is best for your particular situation. Just as we all have had different period histories ,we all had different needs surgically.

Having said that I had everything removed by TAH/BSO.

I took hrt for 4 months so as to not have flashes during the major portion of recovery. I quit it 2 months ago. I take black cohosh and soy foods instead of hrt. plus a multi vit. magnesium, and calcium. The link for not using hrt is:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...?s=&forumid=34

and yes the size of a uterus will show on an ultra sound. Endo usually is not all found til they get in there and look. That's why I am glad I had a TAH. He got a good look and was able to get the endo.

Best wishes,

Pamcat

P.S. I am SO GLAD I HAD THE HYST no more cramps and pain for me
Unread 06-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Confused-Lap Vs. TAH

Hi Teach!

....If It Were Me.....

I would go ahead and have the TAH/BSO. In fact, I did have one a year and a bit ago... but not for Endo. This is something I learned through this site: Estrogen feeds Endo. The more Estrogen, the worse the Endo could likely get. If you have the TAH/BSO so that they can "get" all of the Endo AND remove those Estrogen producing Ovaries, then your pain will, in effect, be gone. They will likely not put you on HRT for a number of months, to ensure all of that nasty Endo is totally gone and to prevent recurrance.

While it's true, a Lap *MIGHT* buy you some more time, I fear your pain will only come back again and might even be worse. And, in the end, you'll end up with a hyst anyway. That's ALWAYS a possibility and something I personally have seen with other ladies here at HS.

I went through menopause at the age of 35. Sure I had the sweats and the moodiness for a time.... but it's not forever. This too is temporary. I took ERT after my surgery for 6 months and now I am not taking anything aside from Multi-Vitamin, Calcium chews and Celexa for a temporary emotional helper. I feel confident that after only two months, I can speak with my doctor about weaning off the Celexa.

Lots of people will come along and give you advice. Lots of people will come along and tell you that they know someone who was back to work after two weeks or whatever. There is ALWAYS someone round the corner with "advice" or some sort of second hand expertise.

Listen to YOUR body. Talk at length about this with your doctor. ASK what the chances are of having to have a hyst anyway down the road. I think the Lap is only a temporary relief that will end up with the hyst in the end anyway. Talk to your doc about this. Write your list of Pros and Cons and really listen to your body.

Best wishes to you as you sort through this, hon. In the end, it's YOUR decision. Do some research, ask some questions, be informed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2003, 06:27 PM
Confused-Lap Vs. TAH

I am 36 and scheduled for a TAH/BSO on 6/26. Not interested in HRT either. Also have severe endo. I have had lap done before. On this site, I have read that a solution might be to have them leave only one ovary in-if problems persist they can use lap to take out last ovary. I am going to bring this up @ my pre op on Fri to see what DR says. Lap might not be feasible depending on the size of your growths. I wanted to do lap again, but DR says he can't remove the growths without opening me up. So, lap may or may not be feasible. I am all for preserving as much as possible, for as long as possible, but you are the one suffering. You could be looking at hav ing lap surgery yearly-like me! All the suffering before and the recovery after I feel like I'm lsing 3 mos out of every year-is it really worth it? Good luck to you-it's your body-do what feels right to you!
Unread 06-17-2003, 06:49 PM
Confused-Lap Vs. TAH

I want to give you a big

My friend has had endo since she began having periods. Shes now 33 and has had 5 laps to remove endo and needs another lap because its back again. She knows that ultimately she will end up having a TAH/BSO and she is only buying herself a little time because of her age.. and she wants desperately to have a child. My cousin is 35 and has had the same procedures.. but has had 7 of them in the past, one being a full vertical incision. She currently has endo pain again and is considering a TAH/BSO.

I guess I am telling you this because most likely the endo will return after a lap, especially if its bad to begin with. Buying yourself a few years will do nothing but prolong the inevitable. The TAH will be the way you are finally rid of your problems.

Of course I am not a doctor, and you should always make these decisions carefully with your doctors guidance and family included. I am just sharing the experience of a dear friend and my own opinion.

Good luck with your decision and my prayers that you will be soon pain free
Unread 06-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Confused-Lap Vs. TAH

Ladies,
Thank-you so much for your input. I do feel better about my original decision to have an TAH/BSO.

I have come to the understanding with my own decision and my body's 28 year pain with Endo. Danocrine, BCPs, (2 pregs),
2 pregs, and Lupron inj. Enough is enough.

I appreciate my HysterSisters. I have only been on this website for maybe 2 weeks and WOW, you'all are great!

Mrs. Plumber, you are in my prayers with your June 26th surgery.

Let us know how you are feeling.

God Bless to you all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register