LSH - excellent experience thus far | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Laparoscopic Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH - excellent experience thus far LSH - excellent experience thus far

Unread 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM
LSH - excellent experience thus far

It is now sister almost a week since my LSH and I just wanted to tell you all that things are going great!

I'm 51 and been having very heavy periods and pain from endo and adenmyosis for a long time. My Gyno suggested we try the Mirina IUD but that resulted in constant bleeding and occasionally massive flooding ... Not good in a shopping centre, on extended hikes or out on a motorbike mustering with a group of young Jackaroos.

So we decided on a hyster, retaining ovaries and cervix if all looked healthy during the op. I have to say I started to panic on finding this site as there were sooo many negative experiences. Thus the reason I'm posting now .... I figure many who are very happy with the outcome don't come back here to report.

12 months ago I had surgery for a twisted bowel, massive adhesions and peritonitis and the Fallopian tubes were removed in the untangling process. Even though I was fit in the lead up to this (just climbed Mt Kili in fact) I ended up with terrible back pain that lasted around 6 months, so bad that I was flat to carry the laundry basket of wet washing to the clothes line. For my hyster I thought the same thing might happen again as I'd be inactive in bed once again so I worked hard on my fitness beforehand to try and reduce this likelihood.

My surgery took around 3 hours and I woke in recovery pain free at around 4pm. I was moved to the ward and that night requested a shot of morphine, mainly to help me sleep I have to admit. I did have some mild pain but it was really only like period pain.

We must do things differently in Australia as I was told I'd be hospitalised for 4 nights, 5 if I wanted as I live in the outback... 1000km from Sydney and my surgery. I requested for my catheter to remain until the morning of day 2 as in the past it has had to be reinserted cuz I just can't pee no matter how much I want to.

So day 1 I really just lay in bed comfortably after a shower, only going for a walk later in the afternoon. I wasn't in any pain whatsoever and was on Nurofen Plus and Panadol. I was SO pleased to see I could sleep comfortably on my side, something I'd read here wasn't possible.

Day 2 the catheter and IV came out early, I showered and then started lapping the hallway at the hospital in a bid to stave off any back pain like the year before. I really couldn't believe how well I felt and the fact I was pain free, other than some in my shoulder blade from gas (which was relieved with heat packs).

I did end up staying the 5 nights in hospital, though it definitely wasn't needed... But I was checking into a motel on my own from hospital for a few dsys before flying back home so figured I may as we just stay where I was and be pampered.

Yesterday (day 6) I was out shopping and to lunch all day without any problems. I did a lot of walking, public transport and stairs with no issues but was very careful not to carry anything more than my handbag.

I see my Gyno on Friday and will head home after the weekend to the farm. I am just sooo pleased that I am now done with heavy periods and pain but even more pleased with how the surgery and first week post op has gone. It really has been a breeze and while I understand this isn't the case for everyone it DEFINITELY can be for some so don't let fear get in your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register