should I keep my one ovarie | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

should I keep my one ovarie should I keep my one ovarie

Unread 12-20-2006, 10:57 AM
should I keep my one ovarie

I am schuduled for a total hysterctomy on Jan 9. I still have one ovarie and I can't deceide if I should keep it or let my doctor take it. I have pain during intercourse where the ovarie is. I am 45 and afraid of how I will feel if I do let them take it, how will my sex drive me (we have only been married for 6 yrs), will I have hot flashes? My doctor said she would put me on a low dose of estrigine, but I'm still afraid. Has anyone had both ovaries removed and still want sex, feel great, pain free?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2006, 11:44 AM

I wanted my ovaries saved if they were healthy and they were so I am a happy camper. Is your healthy?
Unread 12-20-2006, 12:00 PM

If you have a healthy one save it. Just my opinion, seconded by my doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2006, 12:00 PM

I did not get to keep my ovaries because they were unhealthy. My sex drive is way down, and I am only 27!! People my age should want to have sex! I am currently on progesterone, testosterone, and estrogen. Hopefully this will work. I say if your ovary is healthy, by all means, keep it!
Unread 12-20-2006, 12:12 PM

I had one ovary removed 5 years ago. I left it up to my dr. when he did the TAH and because my ovary is healthy, I kept it.
Unread 12-20-2006, 12:50 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. My right ovary was removed and it had cystes on it. I think I'll tell my doctor if it looks healthy too keep it!! thought becasue of the pain on the left side, it worries me that it will still be there after the surgery. I would hate to have to go in for a 3rd surgery.....
Unread 12-20-2006, 09:20 PM

Hi,
I'm 54 and older than you, but thought I should share my experience. I had a partial hysterectomy (uterus, left ovary due to fibroids, endometriosis and adenomyosis) July/05. We left my right ovary because it looked healthy. Wouldn't you know it less than a year later I had a cyst on the right one and my doctor decided that it had to come out in Sept. 06. So another surgery and a full abdominal because of the cyst size and I had lots of adhesions from prior surgery for the doctor to remove.
Now I kind of wish I had just taken both ovaries out at the same time. Of course as I said I am older than you and you must make your own decision. Another thing to consider is that since having the last ovary out I have started having many more hot flashes! They are managable so far, but still a nuisance.
I wish you luck whatever you decide and I hope you have a swift and easy recovery.
Laurel
Unread 12-21-2006, 08:02 AM

Hi, I'm 43 years old and had both ovaries removed. My sex drive is just fine . I'm on one mil. of estrogen a day, with no side effects at all. Everything works and feels just the same as it did before my surgery. Good luck!
Unread 12-21-2006, 09:22 AM

thank you Laurel,

I think I'm now going to let her take the ovary. Everyone has a different story, the last think I want to do is go through another surgery. I'll keep a positive out look that everything will turn out okay. thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapatrice
Hi,
I'm 54 and older than you, but thought I should share my experience. I had a partial hysterectomy (uterus, left ovary due to fibroids, endometriosis and adenomyosis) July/05. We left my right ovary because it looked healthy. Wouldn't you know it less than a year later I had a cyst on the right one and my doctor decided that it had to come out in Sept. 06. So another surgery and a full abdominal because of the cyst size and I had lots of adhesions from prior surgery for the doctor to remove.
Now I kind of wish I had just taken both ovaries out at the same time. Of course as I said I am older than you and you must make your own decision. Another thing to consider is that since having the last ovary out I have started having many more hot flashes! They are managable so far, but still a nuisance.
I wish you luck whatever you decide and I hope you have a swift and easy recovery.
Laurel
Unread 12-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks for Asking this question!!

I am having a TAH on Jan. 23rd and have been struggling with these very same questions at the age of 38. I am opting for both ovaries too hoping the hormones will not continue to feed my endo. Hoping sex will actually be better without the pain too. I also worry about HRT afterward. There is so much info. about HRT causing heart and breast cancer issues. I think the hot flashes will be better than the endo and fibroid pain in the long run.

Best of luck to you (us)...cheers!!
Chris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register