How Long is Long Enough? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Long is Long Enough? How Long is Long Enough?

Unread 03-04-2005, 09:47 AM
How Long is Long Enough?

I was wanting some input from anyone out there who has had a TAH.......I am a paralegal to an attorney (male) who informed me that I should not NEED 6 weeks off to recover. He told me I should be ready to be back at work long before 6 weeks runs. NOW....along with being in constant pain, having more than my fair share of MONTHLYS....and trying to cope with the emotional rollercoaster that my hormones (or lack thereof) has me on ....I have to worry about work and the fact that my boss seems to think I don't need recovery time! Please give me some insight as to the recovery period!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 09:54 AM
How Long is Long Enough?

Hi Slick,

I did not have a TAH/SAH and I have read a lot about the recovery time for an abdominal surgery on Hyster Sisters. The average seems to be 6-8 weeks. Here is a H.S. link that goes over the hyst types and recovery times:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/vie..._articles_list

It is kinda like who died and made your boss a Dr?? I would talk to your Dr. and see if you could get a letter from him/her for your boss or call your insurance company and have them prepare something for you.

A hyst is MAJOR surgery so your boss sounds misinformed about the recovery time. Which is because he does not have a uterus!!!

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 03-04-2005, 10:08 AM
How Long is Long Enough?

Mary,

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty new to the site so I'm not navagating too well yet!

My boss has never had surgery of any kind so he has no CLUE about recovery. I get the impression he believes that the surgery is not necessary but ....in all fairness to him....I have no intentions of communicating my physical ailments to him....it's non of his business! I really thought that when I told him hysterectomy....THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH OF AN EXPLANATION for him.

Thanks for the advise......I'll intend on taking the FULL recovery time!

Slick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 10:45 AM
How Long is Long Enough?

This may be silly but I have discovered that when I don't just refer to the surgery as "hysterectomy" but manage to slip in a line describing it as "having organs removed" some people suddenly start to realize it's more than a pap smear kind of procedure. Geeze even some women will act like pulling out a uterus shouldn't be any bigger deal than pulling out a maxi size tampon. I've had a few of those folks and my surgery was abdominal, I can only imagine this is worse for those of you without the obvious incision.
Unread 03-04-2005, 10:50 AM
How Long is Long Enough?

Thanks Janice.....my boss related it to having your tonsil's removed! Sure wish he had a uterus, ovaries, cervix and female hormones going nuts all the time!
Unread 03-04-2005, 10:54 AM
How Long is Long Enough?

I'd probably get fired, but I think I'd have to ask him how long he'd have to recover if they took his testicles out? They go in through the abdomen to remove those too. Wonder if he'd be back to work before 6 weeks, ya think??

Dona
Unread 03-04-2005, 11:00 AM
How Long is Long Enough?

Ya know, you could send your boss to the www.pelvicfloor.com site and let him see first hand the gory, gross, descriptive pictures of an abdominal hysterectomy. That would make a beliver out of him!!

Yes, it really does take 6 to 8 weeks to recover. I had a desk job, and went back to work part-time at 5 1/2 weeks and full time at 6 weeks, and it wasn't easy, by any means.

As previously suggested, have your doctor write your boss a letter indicating your recovery time. As an attorney, your boss should understand the legal liability of allowing you to return to work without your doctor's permission (even if he doesn't understand anything else!)

s,

Lisa
Unread 03-04-2005, 11:06 AM
How Long is Long Enough?

I had a TAH 3 weeks ago and I am now just starting to feel somewhat normal but not ready for work yet. I will probably be OK to return after week 4 is done, we'll see.

I am gone from work under the Family Leave Act (you have to have been employed at least 1 year with your company in order to take this leave) and it's my understanding that your company cannot let you come back to work without authorization from your doc to release you back to work. This is in order to cover all legal bases. I would suggest to your boss that he check the law on that. You can also talk to your human resources department about it as well.

This surgery is not a minor deal - it takes quite a while for everything internally to heal and you need that time. If you don't, he can expect you to be out of the office even more to repair the damage of coming back too soon.

Good luck with this and stand up for your rights!
Unread 03-04-2005, 11:11 AM
How Long is Long Enough?

Hi,

I agree with Historylady.

Some people (men AND women) will push and push and push. Who's more important - your boss or your complete, successful recovery?

I, too, work for an attorney, albeit one who is more sensitive than the one for whom you work.

Fight back with what he might understand. Some "official," in writing. And make no apologies for anything!

Get better. Let us know how things are going.

Denise
TAH 2 weeks ago today!
Unread 03-04-2005, 11:18 AM
How Long is Long Enough?

My doctor advised me that in California you are entitled to six weeks of leave for this type of operation. Check your state rules on this and tell your boss what it says--that may help persuade him. Lawyers do so like rules! [and i can say that because I am one!]

Just because its a desk job doesn't mean its easy to go back early. I though that too and I was WRONG!! I went back for just part time at 5 1/2 weeks. I forgot my pillow and my seat was set so I would sit very straight at my computer. Well after a couple of hours, I was dying. My husband came to get me and I didn't come back for two days.

Sitting upright HURT and if I do it for too long even now at 10 weeks, it still hurts. I have to remember to get up and walk around. My chair back is still very slanted and I have a pillow back there to learn against. At the end of the day, I am pretty darnned wiped. And before surgery, I could do a 12 hour day standing on my head [well, except for those days when I'd run out of tampons and be exhausted from bleeding so much...].

Take all the time you need but do check the state rules on this and get a note from your doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register