TAH and Fed Up with Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH and Fed Up with Pain TAH and Fed Up with Pain

Unread 07-23-2007, 07:00 PM
TAH and Fed Up with Pain

Hello Sisters,

I have been contemplating my situation for weeks. Have yet to start a thread about it because I went in to this with the attitude that I will not be one of those post-op women with recurring pain and/or issues. I'm not saying I'm dismissing any one's issues, I'm saying it was a mental attitude I adopted before my surgery. The positive-attitude thing. I'm strong, I'm healthy and I WILL recover quickly. Get my drift? I've made a few supportive replies to others in pain and have read every "pain" post in the last few weeks trying to see if I can figure out what's wrong with me. I've even done searches on some specific topics (hematoma and incisional hernia) that may be related to what I am feeling.

I'm still what most might consider "early" in my recovery. 9 1/2 weeks I think but I've got something going on and I'm tired of it. I have this very specific left side pain. I have an excellent relationship with my doctor, over 20 years worth. He knows I'm no whiner. He sent me for an ultrasound at 5 weeks. Nothing. We compromised on our next course of action. He suggested 6 weeks for a CT Scan. I said 3. Had it done last week. Nothing. While he is sympathetic to my pain he is also stumped. He referred me to the surgeon who assisted in my surgery. Saw him today. After pressing on my left quadrant area and making me cough - and CRY, real tears streaming down my face - he tells me he can't feel anything (hernia) and also sees nothing on the CT scan. Advises me to start taking my pain meds again and using a hot compress. I told him this was not an acceptable course of action. I don't believe in treating a "problem" with pain meds. Besides, I'm trying to function as a human being here and I can't do that being all jacked up on meds. He quickly changed his story and advised me to go get fitted for an abdominal support belt. If I get no relief in the next week or two they will go in again and do some exploratory surgery.

I just can't believe this. Hysterectomies are one of the most common surgeries and they still don't have it figured out. I've read too many posts here where women are returning to their doctors for pain and/or complication issues. Are we not being taken seriously? I don't mean by my doctor specifically, I mean by the medical community as a whole.

Other than this very specific pain I feel great. The right side and abdomen as a whole are fine. Maybe slightly tender, and I mean slightly but I accept that as normal for the procedure I had done. For the most part my energy level has returned completely but I am still forced to take things slow and easy. I've taken my recovery seriously and don't think I've overdone anything.

Anyway, I think I just needed to vent but if anyone can offer any advice or support I sure would appreciate it.

's to all,
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2007, 08:18 PM
TAH and Fed Up with Pain

Oh Julie!! I am so sorry you are going through this!!! The ONLY thing that showed up on my CT and ultrasound was 1 ovarian cyst, and an enlarged ovary! Went back 2 weeks later for another repeat ultrasound, showed NOTHING! Scheduled BSO, when Dr got in there, I had an abdominal wall adhesion that covered the ENTIRE abdominal wall!!! Then when he got to the ovaries (as even listed in path reports) there were MULTIPLE cyst on the ovaries, on the tubes scar tissue AND a partially ruptured ovary! My Dr told me that he sure was glad that he knew that I was not a whiner, and knew that something was truely wrong! I, like you came to tears, and about went off the table during my exam, while breaking out into a cold sweat! EVEN duriing the ultasound! So moral of my story? STAY ON TOP OF THIS, only you know when something isn't right! As you know since my BSO, I am 50000000% better!!! Sending HUGGGGGGGGS your way!!!
Unread 07-23-2007, 09:16 PM
TAH and Fed Up with Pain

Hi! I have been reading tons of post too, but don't want to sound like a whiner. I had my surgery (TVH) May 14th. I was feeling great and overall I still do, but I am having pain and discomfort in the left ovary area and lower left back. It ranges from discomfort to actual pain. I am frustrated because this is the area that my pre-op pain was. I thought I would be finished with it!!
I tried to get an appt, but no luck. My doctor is out of town for 2 weeks. I prefer to stick with the same doc for now. I am not sure if it is actually my ovary or if there is a kidney stone, or both! I go in Aug 16th.
I am sad about it. I plan to ask for an ultrasound and a CTscan to rule out fluid, cyst, kidney stone.
I am really trying to stay positive and most times it works, but the thought of having to have another surgery makes me really sad. I have already had gallbladder, exploratory lap, and hyst...all since March!! I feel like I am falling apart.
Take care and I hope you find some answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2007, 12:26 AM
TAH and Fed Up with Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveH2O
Hello Sisters,

...I went in to this with the attitude that I will not be one of those post-op women with recurring pain and/or issues. I'm not saying I'm dismissing any one's issues, I'm saying it was a mental attitude I adopted before my surgery. The positive-attitude thing. I'm strong, I'm healthy and I WILL recover quickly. Get my drift?
dear H20, I am very sorry you are having troubles. I hope that you will find resolution soon. I do have to say that not one of us has gone into this saying, Gosh I think I'll be one of the whiny ones with a lot of pain. I too took the attitude that I'm strong, relatively healthy, and WILL recover quickly. I think most of us are taken aback by how this has knocked us for a loop.

And yes I think we certainly got your drift....
Unread 07-24-2007, 12:53 AM
TAH and Fed Up with Pain

Hi Julie!

When I had my surgery over four years ago, I was a healthy and physically fit person. I had a texbook TAH/BSO.

My experience was that it took many, many months (I hate to scare you, but probably about a year!) before my lower abdominal area felt anywhere close to normal. My whole midsection was tender and prone to pain and soreness for a long time. Even at four-plus months post-op, I couldn't exercise on my elliptical trainer for five minutes. I was still using my arms to get up from a couch or out of bed. I would ask people "for a hand" in getting out of a low-slung car seat. And...I had nothing "wrong" with me.

My opinon is that when a person's body is opened up and organs are removed or repaired (whether it be a hysterectomy or a heart bypass) it may take a long time to feel normal again. Perhaps some patients (I for one!) are more sensitive than others.

If you are like me, time will be your friend in your healing process. I think you are wise to keep your medical provider apprised of your recovery concerns. I hope that there are better days ahead for you.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 07-24-2007, 06:31 AM
TAH and Fed Up with Pain

I appreciate your venting, believe me. I of course have no answers or suggestions but it is helpful to me to hear what others are going through incase something similar should happen to me.

I agree you don't treat "nothing" with meds, what's up with that? But how frustrating it must be for you to have this "real" pain and no one can tell you why.

Good luck to you!
Unread 07-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Now that you mention it ...

I feel exactly the same way about not whining - Lord knows my surgery went so well, I have absolutely no complaints.
But I still have a pain where my right ovary used to be, almost every day, to one degree or another.
This last weekend, for some reason, my lower right ovary ached and hurt even worse when I walked - except I don't have any ovaries. Those puppies were removed. But I could feel every step - same spot as the right ovary.
It's fine today.
I'm trying to identify what might be triggering this.
But I also have a few other places that are sore now and weren't a few weeks ago.
I'm wondering if nerves are regenerating and that's why I'm experiencing pain.

Any ideas anybody?

Love y'all one and all -

HotLips2
Unread 07-24-2007, 09:07 PM
TAH and Fed Up with Pain

You go girl and vent. I sorry to hear about your pain, but I have to totally agree with you. I know there are alot of great dr's out there but there are way to many women out there with complications from these darn surgeries. My heart goes out to you and all us hystersisters and the complications. Let us know how you make out and I will keep you in my thoughts..................

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register