surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind..

Unread 01-24-2012, 09:43 AM
surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind..

I went to my pre op appointment less then 24 hours ago. Discussed with my doctor what I have researched and said that I think I may want to keep my cervix because I have read some negatives on removing it. He went into reasons why he felt I did not need to keep it, but respected my decision and we moved forward, set a date for January 31st, one week from today, to do a Da Vinci supercervical hysterectomy. Keeping my cervix....

I have read everywhere, not just here that getting rid of the cervix poses sexual problems (vaginal shortning, no sex drive, painful sex, granulation etc.)

Just received a call from the head oncologist surgeon (did not speak with him yesterday) stating that he refuses to do my surgery if I do not want to remove my cervix. He said he is more then happy to refer me to doctors that will do it and let me keep my cervix if wanted.

His reasonings were this:
He said that given my family history of cervical cancer (2 of Moms sisters) and the fact that in his 30 years doing this, he has seen way to many women NOT take the cervix that eventually need to have it removed, that being a much more invasive surgery to take the cervix out once the uterus is gone, that he will not do this surgery on me.. He was very polite and seemed genuine in my case..

PLEASE LADIES, If you have had your cervix removed, and are at the stage that you have already had sex, not just right out of surgery and do not know what your sexual experience will be, PLEASE tell me if your sex life has changed for the better or worse or at all. I also want to know if prior to having your hysterectomy was sex painful?? I do NOT have painful sex right now. I have great sex. My surgery is being done because of multiple fibroids that have caused me to bleed for weeks at a time and pain not during sex. I also feel that if prior to surgery sex was painful, our bodies are more apt to "enjoy" sex rather then feel it hurts..

I am SO confused.. He said he promises very little vaginal shortning as the way he performs the surgery is by cutting right above the cervix instead of at the end to allow the scar tissue to eat up the remaining cervix. He said Doctors who cut "at" the cervix line allow for more vaginal shortning with the scar tissue that presents itself after therefor causing women discomfort...

Please, any insight from women without a cervix would be great.. Please also include your age at time of your surgery..

Thank you so much in advance... I am sooo confused!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

I struggled greatly with whether to keep my cervix or not and not just because of the cancer risk. As awful as it may sound, my only true concern was what would happen to my sex life. My drive and orgasms have always been extremely GREAT!!!! I did not want to lose this. After much research and discussion with my DR, I chose to remove it along with everything else. I am almost 14 weeks out and was released for sex at 8 weeks. I was allowed masturbation after 2 weeks and actually waited until 3 weeks. The first time out, I had the best orgasm ever. It was somewhat different, but spectacular. I am on HRT and have no issues with lubrication. My drive is even stronger than before and my orgasms are easier to come by and they are fantastic. The only comment my husband has made is that I feel tighter but he does not notice any shortening. My thought is that if you already have a great sex life, the hysterectomy can only improve it (no more bleeding and pain). In all reality, the cancer risk should be the primary reason to remove your cervix, but I do understand your concerns. I am 46yo and have had no children. I also had a da Vinci and I am beyond ecstatic with the outcome. I feel great, I have lost weight, I am no longer in pain, I no longer have to deal with all the hormonal issues. I would do this again in a heartbeat and twice on Sundays. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

If you get pap smears yearly you would be able to catch any cancer early . My doctor said if I need my cervix removed - had SCH 2 weeks ago , it is no big deal to do for him but the recovery is a little longer than what I have been experiencing .I would go to someone else for another opinion . Maybe this Dr doesn't do many SCHs . They have their own agendas , sometimes it has nothing to do w the pt. I had to go to another Dr to have my surgery done because my doctor clearly did not want to operate - she started blowing me off , making excuses and I am do glad I switched because she doesn't do SILS procedures. It worked out very well for me and I wish the same for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:29 AM

I had My TVH in my 50's, for cancer, never even heard of leaving the cervix then but I didn't have the option anyway. I've had no shortening, no pain or loss of desire, no prolapse. That being said, if you feel strongly, perhaps you should consider a different surgeon. It seems to vary Dr to Dr as to their opinion. I'm wondering what the reasons are for future cervix removal, in your Drs experience? I don't know if, given a choice, I'd have kept my cervix, probably I would, but I'm not suffering ill effects from its removal. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:53 AM

Thank you ladies.. Like I said, his main concern is that the women in my family have a history of cervical cancers. Both of my Mother's sister's had hysterectomies due to that. Now, I myself had ovarian cancer when I was 18. A germ cell tumor of my left ovary was found. 6 months of chemo and I have been in remission since. I have never had an abnormal pap though. Uuugh, makes no sense.. They are willing to keep my remaining right ovary in because it is healthy and the type of cancer I had was "enviromental" based and not a family hystory type, but want to remove a healthy cervix?

I was reading up on what he said about having to remove the cervix afterwards if God forbid and it is stated to be a risky surgery. I just called a few Ob's in the area and they agree that to take the cervix out afterwards if needed, is indeed risky surgery with more complications then doing it all at once.

I know my main concern should drive with the risk of cervical cancer, but it truely is based on my future sex life.. I want nothing more then to be done with a period, and am willing to take the risk of having mini periods to preserve my sex life.. I would just like to hear more "positive" sexual lives with the cervix removed if possible. Though I am fully aware we all recover totally different and our bodies are not the same. Who's to say I dont keep my cervix and have a terrible sex life after.. I get that. But reading here and other boards, I am leaning or at least seeing that a nice bulk of women are not happy with sex after the cervix is gone.. so frustrating..
Unread 01-24-2012, 02:23 PM

I had da vinci on jan. 13th - obviously haven't had sex yet. But I also was VERY concerned about my post-op sex life. It is truly a large part of my quality of life and I was terrified of losing it. Since surgery, I can tell you that I definitely have the desire! I can't do much about it yet, but I can tell that blood is flowing to the right parts LOL!

My doc told me he wouldn't/couldn't do the da vinci without taking the cervix. If you're willing to have a different procedure, you could probably keep your cervix. My thought, though, is that what you really want to keep is the ovaries. Just my 2-cents.
Unread 01-24-2012, 02:46 PM

He just said that he will not leave the cervix, doesn't matter which procedure he does, he does not want to leave it in for the reasons I stated above.

As far as my ovary, yes, I want to leave it and he agrees it should not come out as it is healthy and why put me through surgical menopause..

I have not been off this computer all day. My head is spinning with this decision. I called to make an appointment with another OB surgeon to see what his thoughts are. I just feel that since I had my mind made up about keeping it, that I am setting myself up for a bad situation afterwards if I actually do allow them to take my cervix. Sex is also so much in "your head" you know? Like I will almost not enjoy it because I have already pre concieved that I will not if they take my cervix.
The whole vaginal cuff thing totally freaks me out.. I read on here, even though not common that it is possible for it to be ripped through and can be very dangerous..

I am emotionally drained right now from this.. But then I read some good stories from women who have had their cervix taken and say to myself "Self, you may have a good turnout with them taking your cervix too"

I don't know.. I totally like that the doctor was honest with me, but really not sure why there was a lack of communication between the lead surgeon doing the surgery and his co workers (the doctor I spoke with) I mean if he is that set on not doing anymore hysterectomies that leave the cervix in, why wouldn't they know that he will not do them..??

Totally drained..
Unread 01-24-2012, 02:57 PM

I went for a second opinion also. I did NOT want my cervix taken. I was sure it would mess up my sex life. But the 2nd surgeon pretty much agreed with the first one. Except he exlained things to me in an easier way and he took time to answer my questions. It also helped that I have several friends who had a hyter - some kept cervix and some did not. None of them seem to have any problems with sex at all. They are able to do all the "tricks" they were able to do before (female ejaculate, excellent and multiple orgasms, etc.). Honestly, it was because of my friends' experiences that I chose to let the cervix go.
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:00 PM

I am only two and a half weeks out and had my cervix removed. I had "outercourse" at two weeks, and my orgasm was better than ever...more intense and longer. I waited a few days before doing it again, and had two within moments of each other. I also learned that one type of female orgasm that I'd not been able to achieve until just a few months before surgery is not a myth! I was so nervous that this new experience would disappear. It hasn't!

My doctor said that a skilled surgeon can remove the cervix without severing any of the nerve endings necessary for pleasing sex. Hope this helps!
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:43 PM

I had my cervix removed due to a family history of cancer. I can tell you that I was nervous at first. I am 6 months out now and my sex life is better than before. The firsr few times were uncomfortable but I expected that. After that I have had no problems. However the decision is yours to make and if you want to keep it then you should. As you have been advised get a second opinion.

Good luck
Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register