More time off of work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

More time off of work More time off of work

Unread 07-13-2012, 04:39 PM
More time off of work

Hi everyone, my concern is that my doctor is a superwoman and I am terrified to ask her for some more time off of work, my manager already says it's ok, but I'm scared to ask my doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Re: More time off of work

I had to do this. My surgeon was telling me to be very careful with work when I go back, and my job is very physical. I was still having pelvic pain, which he thought was intestines, I told him I needed more time. I work alone and there is no "light duty". He promptly gave it to me.

If you're not ready, tell your doctor... ;-)
Unread 07-13-2012, 05:08 PM

I had 8 weeks off work and could not have managed to go back any earlier. Take your time and listen to your body. You'll know when the right time is better than your doctor. It takes time...look after yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2012, 05:16 PM
More time off of work

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm just afraid she'll say no because she is such a superwoman herself.
Unread 07-13-2012, 05:43 PM

Find another doctor if shes not right for you...I made the mistake of listening to a few people before my op who told me "oh you'll be fine and back at work in a couple of weeks" Stupid me listened to them, so when I was still feeling crap I felt like I was seriously under achieving and was in tears in the doctors surgery. She gave me a reality check (long lecture) about listening to your body and not listening to people who tell you you should be doing this and that and reinforced what a big operation it is and how it can take quite a while to start feeling ok. For me it was about 8 weeks. but up until then I was a mess and thought Id never feel well again. Your do eventually come good but again, listen to your body and do whats right for you, not what others think you should be doing........superwomen make me angry, they make all us normal women feel inadequate...find someone else
Unread 07-13-2012, 07:22 PM

Your doctor may be a "superwoman", most of us are, but has she had a hysterectomy? I bet that will make her put her cape down for a while! You just had your surgery, it hasn't even been one month! Only you will know when you are ready to go back to work because it is your body. Do not be afraid to not ask, but tell her you need more time. There is a reaccurring theme on this site, please take heed to it "You only get one chance to heal properly".
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:16 PM

Thank you guys so much, I'm just going to have to ask if I need it. You're right, only I know my body.
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:02 PM

I went to my six week post op appointment (7/11) still in pain, suffering from insomnia, and being treated for a UTI. I was scheduled to return to work (7/12). I felt I needed an additional two weeks to heal. I was prepared to meet this request with some opposition from my gyn since he stressed at the very beginning that 6 weeks is all you need to recover. After the check up he was the one that suggested I take two additional weeks. I was shocked! If you don't feel as though you are up to returning to work I say stand firm in your request and don't waiver. Good Luck!!
Unread 07-14-2012, 10:47 PM

I go back at 8 weeks, i am sure i will be fine but at mne and my supervisors discretion i will be requesting an opened ended medical certificate for light duties. I'm a student doing child care, which means prac int he field as part of the course and despite my age they still like to use students as gofers, so my course supervisor agreed to support my return to light duties and it was her suggestion that the date be left opened ended "until further review". I guess i am fortunate i have that option, but even if i didn't i would be pulling out OHS big guns...
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:07 AM

Don't be afraid of your doctor just because she appears to be a superwoman. If she is a superdoctor as well, she will know it takes time to heal and that women heal at different rates and she won't have problem with granting you more time off. When you ask her for more time off, expect her to respond with her superdoctor responses and not her superwoman responses, and accept nothing less.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register