pain in right side - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain in right side pain in right side

Unread 06-07-2005, 12:55 PM
pain in right side

I totally agree with you about that! I think I am going to request one! Here is a little information I found on adhesions.

Adhesions are a common and occasionally serious outcome of surgery of all kinds, including common gynecologic procedures such as dilation and curettage, cesarean section, hysterectomy, surgical treatment of endometriosis (a condition in which the uterine lining becomes implanted outside of the uterus), myomectomy (fibroid removal), ovarian surgery and reconstructive tubal surgery. Adhesions that form after surgery in the pelvic area are among the leading causes of post-operative pelvic pain, infertility, and small bowel obstruction.

All of the abdominal and pelvic organs, except the ovaries, are at least partially wrapped in a clear membrane called the peritoneum (per-i-toe-ne-um). When the peritoneum is traumatized during surgery or in some other way, the site of the trauma becomes inflamed. Inflammation is normal and in fact is part of the healing process. But inflammation also contributes to adhesion formation by encouraging the development of fibrous bands of scar tissue (called a fibrin matrix).

Normally, these fibrin bands eventually dissolve through a biochemical process called fibrinolysis (fi-bri-no-li-sis), and the traumatized site continues to heal. But sometimes the nature of the surgery results in decreased blood flow to these areas (a problem called ischemia/is-kee-me-ah), which can suppress fibrinolysis. If the fibrin bands do not dissolve, they may develop into adhesions that grow to connect or bind together pelvic organs or tissues that normally are separate.

HTH,
Keri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2005, 02:02 PM
pain in right side

HI Keri, well I can see that you have done some research on adhesions.and no I do not think it is crazy to ask for a lap since all of the other tests you have had did not show anything. but keep in mind that with every surgery that you have to get rid of adhesions if that is what is causing your pain. can produce more adhesions. and as far as to answer if my adhesions have come back or not it is too soon to tell since I am only 6wks post TAH/ LSO. but I can say in my case it is possible that they will come back at some point in my life. and yes I would go for another lap to get rid of the pain. and you are right sometimes it is hard to get a doc to understand that we know our bodies. like I said I had alot of tests done and the only thing that was showing up was small cysts on my left ovary.and after I found my gyn he wanted me to do the lupron cause he thought I had endo. I did my research and did not think endo was my problem and thought the lupron would not help me . so I told the doc no. I did not get him to do a lap untill I ended up in the hospital for 3days frpm the pain and nothing could make it go away. so hye did the lap found many adhesions but no endo. so I am glad I did not go the lupron route. I was pain free for 3months and the pain came back.
Unread 06-07-2005, 02:16 PM
pain in right side

Hey there. Yes I have really done some adhesion research, you really have no idea! It must have been really nice to be pain free for once! Oh well, mine is a hurry up and wait game...so we will see!

Thanks for the advice!
Hugs,
keri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2005, 02:38 PM
pain in right side

HI again, I got cut off before I finished my story. but yes it was nice to be pain free for even a little while. but like I said the pain came back after 3months. so in April I was back at my gyn. with pain and clotting issues during my cycle. so we talk and he says at this point he could not say if my pain was because the adhesions had come back or not but he did not think it possible in only 3mnths time. so he says that he feals my only option was to do a hyst which was fine with me . I never was able to have children and my parts were causing so much pain that I was ready to get rid of them. so I have the hyst done and when the path report comes back we find out that no only the adhesions were causing all that pain but I also had adeno. which never showed on any of those tests like doctors think it will and my doc never saw it when he did the lap 3 months earlier. so what I am trying to tell you is that eventhough the tests are'nt showing anything that it does not meen that you don't have a problem. and if you have had previous surgerys. then I would get the doc to at least think about checking for adhesions. and if you can't get him to listen to you then I would think about getting a new doc. you don't need to keep being in so much pain. Take Care,Cathy
Unread 06-07-2005, 04:58 PM
pain in right side

Keri,

You're right about PFD. I too only have one or two of the symptoms. The pain is getting worse, going from my side down my leg and up around my back. I have a blood clot but was told that it had no where to go but now I'm not so sure.

I am going to ask my dr about doing exploratory surgery to see what is wrong (I had to switch to another dr). I don't know which concerns me more - having to have surgery again (4th in less than a year) or being told there is nothing they can do for the pain.

Keep us posted.

sonnyday
Unread 06-07-2005, 08:16 PM
pain in right side

Do they have you on anything for the clot? Like blood thinners? I will be on blood thinners for 6 months. If you are on them they won't do surgery. I hope everything works out for you and you get better....

Unread 06-07-2005, 08:20 PM
pain in right side

Hey! No the only medications I am taking are Premarin 1.25mg a day and Elavil once a day! That is it!!!

Thanks for the well wishes and I hope and pray that we can get some relief soon!
Keri
Unread 06-08-2005, 12:51 PM
pain in right side

Hi all,
I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth regarding adhesions. I had adhesions from 4 previous c-sections. During my TAH my DR performed lysis of adhesions to hopefully get rid of them. Unfortanetly I had to be reopened due to a hemorrhage from an artery that had been surrounded by adhesions. Due to the amount of trauma and ischemia in the area of my abdomen my DR used Surgicel as a barrier devise to help prevent the adhesions from reforming after the 2nd surgery. For the most part it was effective except for in one area, which happens to be in the area of the bleeder which was on my left side. I find that I have a nagging, pulling, irritating pain/discomfort that is worst with increased activity. I also notice a grabbing pain sometimes when I get up after sitting for a prolonged period. I had a vag U/S done to rule out ovarian cysts, hematomas, or vaginal cuff problems. The U/S was normal.

A nurse I work with suggested the use of support underwear. It was a wonderful suggestion. I use them when I know I have a lot of activity planned for my day. I have noticed minimal to no discomfort when I use the support panties. I told my DR about the results and she thinks it has to be adhesions that have reformed and the support panties keeps the adhesions from pulling on surrounding tissues.

I know we all had hoped that the hysterectemy would have put an end to all of our pain. Personally what I am feeling now is nothing compared to what I went through before the hysterectomy. I don't plan on being cut open again unless the adhesions become so bad that I can't stand the pain any longer because the last surgery nearly killed me. For me 6 times under the knife was enough.

I hope that everyone finds an answer to their pain. I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Nancy
Unread 06-08-2005, 02:43 PM
pain in right side

Hi all, I've been reading about everyone experiencing right side pain. While I'm not glad that you all have pain I am glad I'm not the only one. I am 12 weeks post op and expererienced right side pain after intercourse. I went to my DR yesterday and she thinks it is a UTI. She gave me a prescription for urelle and so far the pain has subsided a little. Hearing all of your concerns gives me greater concern. I will keep you posted as to whether my pain goes away.

I also asked my DR about adhesions and she said the best thing is to leave them alone, they will go away on there own. Maybe this was advice for me only. Still makes me curious, however my DR has been very good with me.
Unread 06-08-2005, 02:45 PM
pain in right side

Hi there. I do hope that medicine works for you and your pain is about to go away for good. I have to say though, I don't think I have ever read that adhesions will go away if you leave them alone. From everything that I have read, they stay with you. I am not sure thought, as I am no doctor. Thanks for the advice and keep us updated as to how you are doing.

hugs,
Keri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register