What causes the vaginal prolapse? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What causes the vaginal prolapse? What causes the vaginal prolapse?

Unread 04-28-2006, 12:55 PM
What causes the vaginal prolapse?

Does this happen if you have your uterus and cervix removed? Is it more common for women who have the vaginal hysterectomies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2006, 02:35 PM

Vaginal prolapse can occur whether you've had a hystectomy or not. Removing the uterus and cervix doesn't necessarily mean you will have a prolapse.

During a hysterectomy to remove the uterus, the strong supports for the uterus (uterosacral ligaments) may be cut. Often times, the surgeon will re-connect the ligaments in an effort to restore support and attach them to the top of the vagina that is left. This type of repair is called a culdoplasty and may last for many years and provide support for the top of the vagina. If support fails, the top of the vagina may prolapse into the vagina or may even protrude outside of the vaginal opening.

I don't know that the type of hysterectomy you have will have any bearing on whether you will have a prolapse or not. I haven't seen any documentation on the subject. Be sure to ask your doctor. It's a good question.

s, Deb
Unread 04-28-2006, 06:54 PM

This is a great question and one I asked my GYN during my pre-op. According to the research she's read, it's not a "given" after even removal of the cervix--although it's a possiblity. My cervix is being removed, and I'd rather not experience a vaginal prolapse. She also indicated that it's seen more in women who've had vaginal deliveries and vaginal hysterectomies. My single delivery was C-Section, and I'm having a TAH. She is going to be securing the vaginal cuff on each side to better my chances of avoiding vaginal prolapse in the future.

Maxine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2006, 09:56 PM

My vaginal prolapse was as a result of vaginal delivery - a long labour with a lot of unproductive pushing. My gynae also told me that the uterus helps support the pelvic floor, so they are reluctant to remove it in repair cases unless necessary.
Unread 04-29-2006, 02:57 AM

Both my sisters and my mother had prolapse before having hysterectomies. They had all had 3 vaginal births and I just assumed that is what caused it. I am much older now than any of them were, have never been pregnant and not had that problem. I am going to ask my Dr. at my pre-op. I would hate to develop it now.

My list of ?'s to ask at the pre-op is getting really long.
Unread 04-29-2006, 09:19 AM

PhosphorEssence

I would be interested in what your Dr says to that question. I have also added that question to my list. My post op visit isn't until May 15th, when is yours? I would also be interested in your entire list of questions if you don't mind.
Unread 04-29-2006, 09:21 AM

PhosphorEssence

I just checked your profile and realized you haven't had your surgery yet. I meant questions for post op. Sorry
Unread 04-29-2006, 10:10 AM

I feel like the prolapse queen as this is my second repair in 9 months. Add to the list of increased risk, smokers, women who are overweight, vaginal births of large babies, past history of episiotomy and any woman who has had a hysterectomy.
Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register