Tummy Fat and Healing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tummy Fat and Healing? Tummy Fat and Healing?

Unread 05-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Tummy Fat and Healing?

(note: keyboard still not working right)

i was wondering about how abdominal healing will go for a big gal like me? i am about 5'7" and weigh about 220. i am lucky, i guess, because my fat is pretty much distributed proportionally all over my body and not just in certain areas (except of course my big butt). i do have extra lower tummy fat that bulges but doesn't hang (i never had kids). this is where i will be cut open.

how does this layer of thick fat heal? same rate as the skin and epidermis layers? slower? quicker? does the fat just get put back into place and just sits there and doesn't need to do anything? I am feeling real stupid about this right now.

i have been going for 2 mile walks at least every other day for the past couple of weeks, just to get my blood flowing and strengthen my legs and hopefully my lungs and heart too. i live in the hills so i believe the hill inclines make up for the distances in terms of a workout, and no way am i gonna start jogging it! it is too late of a date for me to do any tummy strengthening or tightening exercises.

so, how did any other big gals like me fair during recovery? (my personal weight never got in my way. I have been large my whole life, but always very mobile and limber. my weight never stopped me from walking, swimming, riding bikes, these sorts of things.) i guess i am trying to say, or convince myself, that even though i was always off the weight charts i was always comfortable enough in my body. i just want to know if there is anything i should expect after surgery because i am over weight.

thanks
-terri (folky)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Tummy Fat and Healing?

I'm off the "fluffy" variety myself LOL

if you don't already have a hand mirror get one! you'll need it to check the area afterwards.

as long as it's kept clean you should be fine, don't panic but you will get swelling afterward-I didn't think my tummy could get this big!
Unread 05-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Tummy Fat and Healing?

Yes, I was wondering about that too. I'm going to ask my doctor at pre-op if it will hinder healing in any way. I'm shorter and weight more than you, but am hoping it won't be a big deal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Tummy Fat and Healing?

Yeah, I thought about it too...my fibroids grew so fast that I actually lost 15 pounds in the 3 weeks before surgery, because they were crowding my stomach. I weighed 200 lbs at surgery, and I am 5' 8". I've been healing great...I have certainly needed a mirror to examine the incision because it is under my "baby belly" roll, and I do take care to dry off after a shower, but have had no real problems related to healing even though the flab kinda hangs over the incision At least the scar won't show!
Unread 05-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Tummy Fat and Healing?

I'm a pleasantly plump gal myself and I know what you mean by, although overweight on the scale, it never really "bothered" me. As both my Drs have said, even the weoght number is high, I'm extremely healthy otherwise (pre fibroids of course).

But as for healing, like Who said, get a hand mirror because it'll make things easier checking on your incision. Mine was vertical (due to the extra fat tissue so the Drs had more room to work) and the bottom part of my incision did open a bit. Nothing major, it was just that when the staples were removed, there wasn't anything holding the sides closed and the jiggling opened things up a bit. You may want to ask your Dr if there's anything special he'll want you to do for incision care. I do have a "fat roll" so I work on keeping the area dry so it can heal easier.

Otherwise, I don't feel my weight has really had an impact on my healing process. I was actually up and walking around sooner than my hospital roommate who had her surgery the day before me. Good luck and keep us posted!
Unread 05-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Tummy Fat and Healing?

Are you having a vertical or horizontal incision?
Unread 05-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Tummy Fat and Healing?

Hi , good question glad you asked (in stead of me) . But as a 10 day post op I think I am going to be about the same as I was. There is more fat to cut through for us so that may be slower to completely heal but everything else should be and seems to be the same. When is your trip to the castle?
Unread 05-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Tummy Fat and Healing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanies&Barbies
Are you having a vertical or horizontal incision?
well, i don't know as of yet. they are taking everything, and looking to see if the uterine cancer has spread. personally, i would prefer a magic wand and be gone with it.
Unread 05-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Tummy Fat and Healing?

[quote=Jeanna Marie] When is your trip to the castle?QUOTE]

me? may 25, 5:30 in the freakin' morning!

-terri (folky)
Unread 05-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Tummy Fat and Healing?

Hi Folky!
Good to know there are other plump ladies in waiting. I am getting a TVH (probably because I do have the roll that hangs down.) At most, my doc said I would get a LATVH. Like I saw in one post, just make sure the nurses know to keep that area clean while you are knocked out or too drugged to care for yourself. Just mention it to your doc to make sure they know to pay particular attention.
I am on the 24th and do not have a time yet. I hope it is early in the day because I cannot imagine all of my loved ones looking at me with pity and worry while I sit there and WAIT-- ack!
Good luck, and I hope they get all what they need to make you a hyster AND cancer survivor!!!! It can and shall be done!!!! By order of thy Folky Lady In Waiting!
Big Hugz,
Elky

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register