Vertical incision; does the double tummy go away? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vertical incision; does the double tummy go away? Vertical incision; does the double tummy go away?

Unread 08-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Vertical incision; does the double tummy go away?

I have a vertical incision from my pubic area to the top right side of my navel. I'm overweight and have a saggy abdomen. With the incision in the middle, I now have two obvious sags, one on either side of the incision.

Also, my stomach is uneven from one side to the other. The side where my large fibroids set up housekeeping had a big dip where the uterus was, so when I look down at my stomach the right side looks sunken in a bit.

Will this get better with time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Re: Vertical incision; does the double tummy go away?

I had a vertical incision but don't carry a lot of fat on my abdomen... my stomach did portrud pre surgery because of the large uterus and fibroids. I was pleased that i didn't get any puckering or unevenness.. even with the large uterus removed. I do still have swelly belly though.. hopefully i won't start get puckering once the swelling goes down..

I have a friend that had a horizontal incision incision and had a small amount of abdominal fat and had a flap over her incision.. even when she loses weight.

Not sure if it will completely go away.. it may get less pronounced over time as your swelling goes down though... and as your intestines settle evenly in... hopefully anyway...

Take care...

Karen
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:27 AM

I too have the vertical incision but I have what I call, "belly butt." Mine has not gone away and i've had the incision since my first abdominal surgey 15 years ago. I have contemplated plastic surgery but have come to terms to just accept it and go on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2009, 11:34 AM

I had the vertical incision and the majority of my tummy looks flatter than it did before but at the point right below my belly button, I have a puffy/poochy area. It was there right after surgery and I asked my dr. if it was a hernia. He said he didn't think so and thought it was swelling and thought it would go away with time. I hope he's right. The incision itself isn't bad at all but if I was going to have a poochy area, I'd have preferred it down low vs. right at my waist
Unread 08-05-2009, 12:46 PM

"Belly butt"!!!! That's a pretty darned good description

I can live with it if it's a permanant fixture, it's a lot easier to camoflage than that huge fibroid!
Unread 08-05-2009, 12:52 PM

On the upside, I also think that vertical incisions heal faster than horizontal. Mine is uncomfortable but after two weeks I can do more than a lot of my other friends who had horizontal incisions were able to. As for the 'extra tummy' thing, there are these cool panties called SPANX that hide a multitude of sins. I saw them at a store called "Torrid" but am sure they are available in many places.
Unread 08-05-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanGal66 View Post
On the upside, I also think that vertical incisions heal faster than horizontal. Mine is uncomfortable but after two weeks I can do more than a lot of my other friends who had horizontal incisions were able to. As for the 'extra tummy' thing, there are these cool panties called SPANX that hide a multitude of sins. I saw them at a store called "Torrid" but am sure they are available in many places.
I agree about the healing part. I haven't felt like the incision has been much of a problem at all. It's a little itchy now but I can deal with that.

Re - the Spanx - I ordered some for the ab support but found that they also totally flattened my rear end and I don't need that. Anyone know if they make any that aren't like that?
Unread 08-05-2009, 02:29 PM

I have a vertical incision as well but no 'belly butt'. My belly is still quite swollen and definately uneven...much more so on the right side! Unfortunately my surgeon did not line up my previous horizontal c-section scars (those should have helped him, like tabs to line up, right?) so they are higher on the left....wonder if that's why I'm bulging more on the right???

Still waiting for my swelly belly to deflate
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:59 PM

Hi, I still have the "belly butt" after all this time. Am average weight for my height and would love to know how to get rid of it, one side is slightly more poochy than the other. I hate it as it protrudes over the top of my jeans. If only I could wear two clothes pegs either side of my waist to pinch up the excess I would look fine!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register