will i gain weight? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

will i gain weight? will i gain weight?

Unread 01-12-2002, 12:54 PM
I am also afraid of weight gain.

HI!!! I am also scheduled next week. on 1-15-02. Having bladder pinned up too. Hoping I do not gain any weight. Unsure if I should keep overies. Worried about the weight gain,depression, and the decrease in sexual desire. Although I am not much help , I know how how feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2002, 01:31 PM
will i gain weight?

How old are you? Is there a need to take your ovaries? You should have all that decided before your surgery. What does the doctor say and why does he/she say it?

I haven't experienced the things you mentioned, but I suppose some people do.
Unread 01-12-2002, 01:51 PM
will I gain weight?

I lost about 10 lbs in the first 3 weeks after my surgery, and I decided to keep it going. I'm up to 34 lbs now, but its from exercise and diet. Those 10 lbs were a gift, the rest were sweated off!

I'm not on HRT, and I don't know the effect of that. I had a hysterectomy due to cancer, and I talked with a dietition while in the hospital, and we discussed an anti-cancer diet that's being pushed by medical professionals. I am now trying to eat 9-10!! servings of fruits and vegetables every day. The more variety the better, to take advantage of the anti-oxidents in the different fruits and veggies. I also eat 3-5 servings of grains...cereals, bagels, breads, whatever, but all different grains. I drink soy milk, eat yogurt or cottage cheese, and have very little meat or fats. Its really a very satisfying diet-I think its the variety that makes it something I can stick with.

I'm kind of hung up at 31-34 lbs but I plan to keep going-I'd like to lose at least another 20. I have gone down at least a size in clothing, and I think the exercise has been the real catalyst. I work out 30 minutes a day on average, walking on my lunch hour, or using an exercise bike or treadmill or glider at home. I've definately firmed up and my clothes are quite loose now. I;ve even learned that I can ignore laundry and dishes that need to be done just so I can get in my 30 minutes a day. Its been difficult for him, but my husband has found that he can do some of these things !

I'm even trying to transfer to a job that will have me moving around during the day, climbing ladders and walking, instead of sitting at a desk or computer which I've done for the last 28 years. That should keep the weight loss up, I hope.

I truly think that weight loss or gain is up to us during our recovery. Fortunately for me, I get major migraines if I eat chocolate, so I never fell in the the chocolate habit during my recovery. It seems to be the downfall of so many of us. I started walking, 10 minutes at a time, and worked up to 45 minutes, during my recovery. I'm sure that helped to get me started!

I hope you can use something from my regime to keep you from gaining weight. Maybe you should talk to a dietition or nutritionist too-they are a font of knowlege.

Good Luck!

Beannie
TAH-BSO Carcinoma in situ and Adenocarcinoma in situ and cycle induced asthma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2002, 02:07 PM
will i gain weight?

I can't wait until I can work out!! Thanks for the pep talk.
Unread 01-13-2002, 02:04 PM
will i gain weight?

Quote:
Originally posted by bookoholic
How old are you? Is there a need to take your ovaries? You should have all that decided before your surgery. What does the doctor say and why does he/she say it?

I haven't experienced the things you mentioned, but I suppose some people do.
Unread 01-14-2002, 12:22 PM
will i gain weight?

Hi Jody,
If you eat healthy and not just for the sake of it, then you should be O.K. Drink lots of fluids, eat plenty of vegtables and fruit. Besides the 8 glasses of water you need to drink other fluids also.
I bought water in 20 oz. bottles. I have one with each meal. Plus I drink other fluids also. I have not gained any weight at all, and I quite smoking the day of my surgery.
I hope this is helpfull to you.
God Bless,
Sue
Unread 01-14-2002, 02:06 PM
will i gain weight?

hi jody
i had Tvh - kept ovaries almost 4 months ago and havnt gained any weight and echo the good advise the sisters have posted
above, infact since returning to work havnt really changed diet
other than added more choc but think because i have learned to enjoy water havnt gained, well i hope not...lol the lights
flashing on the scales...need a new battery, but sure do feel like
i have lost rather than gained and just would like to add i am
feel really well and have no regrets at having had surgery.
Jody try and pop into chat if you get the chance.
Keep posting s

Well done to all the sisters that have lost!!
Dream......WELL DONE OVER THE SMOKING...thats my next goal!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register