Decision made-in prep mode-any tips to help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Decision made-in prep mode-any tips to help Decision made-in prep mode-any tips to help

Unread 07-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Decision made-in prep mode-any tips to help

After much discussion hubby and I are on the same page and we are in full prep mode. The date is yet to be set. We are hoping for either July 31 or August 1. The doctor office will give us confirmation either this Friday or Monday.

I have read through so much from this site and have checked out 3 books from the library. The more I know of what to expect the less anxiety I feel about this. I already have had a major surgery when my gall bladder was removed after our 2nd son was born but it was over 20 years ago. Back then I had a 2 year old and an infant. How did I do it back then I wonder? Somehow. This time around the boys still living at home are 22, 20 and 16. They are well trained in helping run the house hold. The 22 and 20 year old drive and all know how do the food shopping so between them and my husband there is plenty of support. Our married 24 year old and his wife too live near for added help if needed plus we attend a very large church and already there are people offering help. It is great to know the support is ready.

What other things can I do in the next few weeks to really get ready? I know I want to have access to the computer-my son has a lap top I can use in the hospital. I am thinking about moving this computer to the livingroom so that I can have easier access when I recover cause I know I will most likey visit this site every day.

It is great to have this information and I look forward to this whole journey. This has already touched many areas in me. I look forward to not dealing with the heavy bleeding and the constant fatigue any more. My motto is "My best years are ahead of me".

Carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2006, 08:05 AM

Carrie--so glad to hear your husband is being more supportive. Maybe he was just scared and didn't know how to express properly? Sounds to me you've got everything under control. Just expect to be in alot of pain at first(it will get better soon), let everyone do everything for you!! You've taken care of your family for 25 yrs., now it's they're turn to take care of you. Just remember to take it easy, rest, and absolutely do NOT do anything you're not supposed to. I've had to learn the hard way (like a big dummy I went thru tons of boxes(while sitting)and hurt for 3 days--and just yesterday I vaccumed my pool and hurt all day) So, P L E A S E, take very good care of yourself and keep us all up to date. Much love to you
Unread 07-20-2006, 08:09 AM

My date has been set for July 31, 2006. Now I am in double full pre mode. So much to do to get ready. Time to rally my troops!
Carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2006, 09:51 AM

I don't have a large family or friends that live close-by, so I wanted to do a lot of prep so I would be able to recover with minimal help.

What I did to prep (and I know every women is different) - I cleaned my house and did laundry. I made sure the sheets and blankets on the bed were also laundered.

I purchased a lot of frozen meals, made some scones (that way they were low-fat and had Splenda instead of sugar), and made a few meals to feeze so I wouldn't have to cook when I got home. I also bought lots and lots of popsickles and other frozen things to help my sore throat from being intubated when I got home. I also bought loads of things to drink: bottled water, Gatoraid, etc.

I made sure that my bedroom (recovery room) was well stocked with: TV remote, DVDs, phone, books, tissues, fan with fan remote, bottled water, box of graham crackers. Oh - and lots and lots of pillows. They come in handy both day - and night!

I also made up a bag to take to the hospital. It had shampoo & conditioner, toothpaste & toothbrush, anti-perpirant, body soap, lip balm, body lotion, hair brush, robe, pajamas, slippers, pads, wet wipes, Sudoko book, pencil, CD player & CDs (because I don't own an I-Pod).

Since my doctor told me to walk a bit every day - I find myself getting up and walking to get something to drink, bottled water, etc...and I am able to throw something into the microwave when I get hungry.

When my DH and DD are home from work, they have been very willing to help with anything that needs to be done (i.e., everything else).

For combating boredom - I mostly play on the computer and read. I also cuddle with our two cats.

I am glad your family is so willing to help you. Take it easy, focus on healing and enjoy your family. I hope you have a speedy, uneventful recovery.

Noni
Unread 07-20-2006, 10:04 AM

I wish someone would have told me to buy a lot of tank tops and bikini underwear to wear in the house so that my incision could heal. It needs exposure to air so you'll want to limit covering it up a lot. My family members just have to "deal with it" as far as me looking like this for now because healing is my #1 priority. Loose fitting pants are a must for going outside or when you have to be dressed. Loose fitting for me means drawstring pants, not elastic because that is still too binding.
Boredom will make you bonkers the first 2 weeks but you do get used to the slower pace of life.
Walk as soon as you can after surgery to get things working right again!
Try to have access to your computer while reclining in a chair or bed. sitting upright is rough the first week.
Have some panty liners in case you have any discharge.
I ended up with a hematoma that is going away on its own but it has caused me to have to wear thin pads for 2 weeks now. (Bummer) I want to be pad free.
Buy some sterile 3 x 3 guaze pads to tuck in between your incision and any belly overhang. Fold it in half and let the ends stick out. This acts as a wick to absorb and pull moisture away from your incision so it can heal well. If you have no belly overhang, your incision still needs air exposure.
That's all I have for now.
Oh....ask about bowel cleansing. As much as sister say they are glad they didn't have to do any prep, it really does help you to not have vomiting while shaking off the anesthesia. They don't let you eat right after surgery because food and those drugs don't mix. So it makes sense that if you have full bowels when they put you under, you will be vomiting when you wake up. Ask your doc. If you've ever had trouble with anesthesia (vomiting, nausea) tell them so they will give you the good stuff when they put you under.....unfair but true...they have the good stuff and the not so good stuff but you have to insist!)
Bye for now.
Unread 07-20-2006, 10:59 AM

make sure wherever you sit, the chair must have arms! if you can get some arm weights and work your upper arms now, they will be getting a workout after surgery!

stock up on hard candy and popscicles-your throat will hurt for a little while after surgery-these will help.

put a chair by the side of the bed to help you get in and out

get a pair of slip on shoes

I wore sundresses for my recorvery period-easy on,easy off and nothing touching!
Unread 07-21-2006, 09:40 AM

Also, no need to take the computer to the hospital...you will be drugged and sleepy so much of the time that you won't use it. I layed down unless I was walking or forced to sit and certainly wouldn't have wanted to sit up and try to type. Save that for home, and you also won't have to worry about having something valuable for someone to look after.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register