Flying post surgery - any issues? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Flying post surgery - any issues? Flying post surgery - any issues?

Unread 03-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Flying post surgery - any issues?

I will be flying internationally about 2 months post surgery (LSH). At that point I should be all cleared to normal living, but just wanted to check if anybody has had any abnormal reactions when travelling?

Or any advise on how to make the flight easier? Like after my nose surgery I was told to use saline solution to keep my nose lubricated and minimise possible bleeding.

I always wear support stockings when travelling and try to walk as much as I can during the flight. I have lymphedema in my legs, which makes them swell up quite badly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2009, 12:49 PM

I'm two months post op TAH right now...I feel fine and am planning a cross country trip this week. I plan to get up a few times and pump my feet once in a while while seated. Just remember to rest when you can, stay well hydrated, take your stool softener, and don't let your baldder get too full. Have a safe trip!
Unread 03-22-2009, 02:08 PM

I was feeling great for several weeks before I took my first flight. It never occured to me how much it would HURT to stuff my suitcase in to the overhead bin! It was REALLY odd because I was already back to normal EVERYTHING. But, for some reason, that really hurt!

Just a heads up so you dont put anything there if you don't have too. :smilie5:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2009, 02:31 PM

Hi there!
I will be flying to UK beginning of June and thankfully I will have DH and DD with me to carry luggage! As someone else said - don't put stuff in overhead, don't carry much carry-on luggage, stay hydrated and walk around.
Last time I travelled shortly after back surgery it was the sitting still that bothered me the most. So I walk up and down and talk to people, stand at the back of the plane and do calf stretches, go into the oilet and jog on the spot for a while!!

Have fun and be careful!
:cybhug:
Unread 03-22-2009, 04:39 PM

I'm just over 2 months post op and flew last weekend. It was only an hour flight so wasn't too bad. I didn't pull my case and made sure I didn't overdo things. I was pretty tired by the end of every day though.
Thank goodness I'm not back at work yet!
Unread 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM

My doc told me that by the end of the 6 week check up I should be able to travel, including flying. As always, listen to your body and allow for rest.
Unread 03-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Re: Flying post surgery - any issues?

Well, just one day after I posted about my trip in June I got the opportunity to travel to Greece at 4 weeks post-op!

I am healing well but the 9 hour flight might be a problem...looking for advice. Has anyone else travelled a long distance by plane at 4 weeks post op?

Of course, once I get to Greece I will be staying with family and my youngest daughter is coming with me. She knows I have to be careful and I am sure she will look out for me.

I am so excited, and so worried too. I hope I don't regret this trip. My Dr was no help, he said, do what your body tells you. But my body doesn't know I am going to fly it 5,500 miles, so how can it tell me? lol
Unread 04-10-2009, 04:34 PM

I DID IT!

I flew to UK - 9 hours at 4 weeks post-op and walked around London all day--- no problems, then flew another 3 and a half hours to Greece --- no problems, then walked a lot there, then flew back to UK, and flew back to DFW yesterday evening 10 hour bumpy flight --- no problems!

Travelled around a lot, climbed steps of Acropolis on hot day, roamed temples and cities, drove for 3 hours to Corinthos...I am so blessed. I feel FANTASTIC!

Have a wonderful Easter sisters and enjoy travelling to see family and friends!
Unread 04-11-2009, 10:12 AM

Thanks Ravenheart, that makes me feel better. I still have a month until my Europe trip, so by then I should be totally fine to do it.
Unread 04-18-2009, 11:59 AM

Ponyrider, enjoy your trip.
Where are you planning to go?
:cybhug:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register