Do I still have stiches (5 weeks) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I still have stiches (5 weeks) Do I still have stiches (5 weeks)

Unread 12-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Do I still have stiches (5 weeks)

Yet another silly question. Friday will be 5 weeks. Do I still have stiches? I had a lavh I know I have a vaginal cuff because the doc told me but are those stiches healed by now? Ive read other post where sisters were saying they were seeing stiches when they used the bathroom. I have never seen any is this normal? Do I have stiches in my abdomin still? I have been feeling great this last week but dont want to be fooled either and do to much. My doc saw me at 3 weeks and said he did not need to see me again unless I had a problem. I could resume my activies at 6 weeks. I am nervous about the vaginal cuff and stiches if I have intercourse. Any advice would be helpful. Oh like I did not have enough stiches cut my hand Sunday on a glass jar and yes stiches. These will come out on Monday however. If it were not for bad luck I would have no luck at all. Thanks for takeing the time to hear me out.
Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2005, 10:20 PM

When I went for my 4 week post op, my dr told me to be careful b/c I still had bunches of stitches inside my body. He also told me no hanky panky until Christmas, if I felt like it. I am not due to go back to my dr unless I have problems. He also said no heavy lifting still, at least for another 8 weeks. I had my hyst a day before you. I haven't seen any stitches either but I haven't really looked. So, for me, you not seeing them either makes me feel normal! HAHA I wouldn't worry about the sex part. I plan on having it when i am completely ready and it may be after Christmas. My DH is very understanding though and I don't want to be so paranoid that I can't focus on the "good time". Sorry to hear about your hand, hope things get better!
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:49 PM

Hi Robin
You probably have mostly healed by now if your DR said that all was good.
My DR put stitches in on the inside, if that makes any sense....My vaginal cuff is sutured from my abdomen side so 1) there should have been no stitches passing 2) it makes a 'neater' cuff. She used dissolving sutures so there should be none passing anyway. I did get a couple little bits (but that's another story altogether) but nothing to be alarmed about.
Your internal stitches (the blood vessels etc) can take up to 6 months to heal. You should be on weight restriction for the first 6-8 weeks and then common sense should take over after that.
My DR told me to take it easy, don't try to do everything all at once after she releases me (which she hasn't done yet due to complications later). Don't immediately go out and try to lift a 40 pound bag of dog food.
If you are not sure about intercourse and your doctor has released you to resume intimacy, try outercourse first (manual or oral stimulation etc) to see if there is any pain or discomfort. And, as another sister suggested, a little bit of vodka (or something similar) to warm things up.
If you are really nervous, call your DR to make an appointment. He/she can do an internal to make sure your cuff has healed.

Autumn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2005, 01:03 AM

Robin, that sounds like something I would do! I've been lucky this time though Anyway, I think I've seen a knot, but it's been a week or two ago. Nothing since then. Doc said I should be past that point. Sounds like you've been given great advice already. I intend to follow it as well!

Autumn, you must have big dogs too! I immediately picked up on the 40# dog food comment! Lucky us!

Speedy healing to all!
Unread 12-15-2005, 03:01 AM

Yet another silly question. Friday will be 5 weeks. Do I still have stiches? I had a lavh I know I have a vaginal cuff because the doc told me but are those stiches healed by now? Ive read other post where sisters were saying they were seeing stiches when they used the bathroom. I have never seen any is this normal? Do I have stiches in my abdomin still? I have been feeling great this last week but dont want to be fooled either and do to much

Robin,
I am at 4 1/2 weeks and haven't seen stitches like some mention either- however, as I have posted a few times now on this site, I saw the physio (a gyn expert) on Tuesday who warned me to take it easy until 12 weeks. She was very experienced and convincing. She reminded me that whatever type of hyst, I had LAVH like you, the healing is still going on inside for up to 12 weeks, and it is worth the wait in the long run to take really good care until then. She said I may be completely healed at 10 weeks- but there's no way of telling inside so better safe than sorry, then introduce activities as if a beginner. Honestly I wish veeryone here could have been in on the chat, it was so useful. After all, in the scheme of how long I've felt preety awful, ewhat difference does a few more weeks make? Take care.
Unread 12-15-2005, 08:05 AM
doint too much

Well, I'm an idiot. I'm way too independent and I do things before I think about them. I've been picking up my dog who weighs about 30 pounds because her hip is bad and she can't always move very well. So, I had my six-week checkup yesterday and I still have stitches and can't have sex for another 6 weeks. My DH isn't happy and neither am I. Problem is, he's blaming me for bringing this on myself, and while that may be true, I don't want to hear it from him! My point is, when you don't see stitches passing, you may still have a lot, which means that intercourse is a no-no.
Unread 12-15-2005, 08:40 AM

This is interesting.

I asked my Doc about internal stitches, anywhere, due to the surgery and he said he cauterized everything. NO internal stitches.

One exception: Where he did my TVT there is a small incision with stitches in the vaginal canal.

Either he's lying or I guess I was lucky? Or should I feel slighted that I got no stitches!? Hope it doesn't mean I won't heal well.
Unread 12-15-2005, 09:04 AM

Hi Robin,
I didn't ever see any stitches. At 5 weeks I had the bright yellow discharge that the dr said was caused by dissolving stitches and at 6 and 7 weeks my poor dh was "wounded" by some huge knots and sharp edges of stitches that were still very much there. I had to go in and have some of those clipped off.
So, my guess is you still are very likely to have some stitches. As you can see from all the posts we all are a little different in what was done and how long it takes to heal. At 6 wks just take it slowly and start adding back in activities. It takes some time. It's a bad idea to try to start doing everything at once. Your body will need to adapt.
I'm so sorry about your hand.
's, Rita
I'm so sorry about your hand.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register