TAH Welts and itching?? What gives??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Welts and itching?? What gives??? Welts and itching?? What gives???

Unread 04-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Welts and itching?? What gives???

As if my incision infection wasn't fun enough, yesterday I started breaking out in a wildly itchy rash -- it seems to like to travel, it's been on my stomach, and now it's all over the backs of my legs and buttocks. It's in raised welts now, and itches like crazy -- seems to be an allergic reaction, only I don’t know to what, plus the 3 benadryl I've taken so far hasn't done a thing.

Has anyone ever had anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Re: Welts and itching?? What gives???

Have you been out anywhere? Could you possibly have poison ivy/sumac?? Try a topical hydrocortisone cream, but not Benadryl cream, if you plan to keep taking the pill. I hope it passes soon. Good luck!
Unread 04-12-2011, 10:22 PM

I had an allergic reaction to the glue that was used on my incisions. I had hives around all four of them. Not sure if yours could be medication related since it is not localized to one area? I read somewhere that Zyrtec is good for allergic reactions. I used cortisone cream and benadryl cream on my welts and they healed up nicely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2011, 12:00 AM

Please contact your Dr. I have a high sensitivity to any type of penicillian and that is the type of rash I get...and it does seem to travel to areas that are kept warm and moist more than any others
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:15 PM

I don’t think it's penicillin, as I'm able to take my antibiotic without problems. I'm wondering if it's something in my bandage materials. Of course, it could be my cat's persistant efforts to snuggle down in my bed with me. (But she's SO sweet!)
Unread 04-13-2011, 02:27 PM

Call your doc---you know it isn't unusual to develop allergies after a surgery. After my c-section and subsequent infection in 2009, i developed a bad allergy to latex that shows up the same way you are describing. Definitely sounds like hives from your description.
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:15 PM

I have what sounds like the same exact rash, it is on my upper left leg up to the buttock. It seems to get worse when I have been warm/damp, like after shower and sleeping, but doesn't look like heat rash. I think it is just the body reacting to having surgery and straining the immune system. Just a possibility.
Unread 05-07-2011, 12:41 PM

I had a rash that occurred after an ortho surgery. It was very, very bad. It traveled and flushed out in random places at random times. It wasn't even settled by Prednisone. My doctors took out the hardware in my arm and it went away. Turns out there was a broken drill bit in there too that no one told me about prior.

They never said if they thought my rash was from that (not surprising) but I'm convinced it did.

Good luck to you. I know how bad it can be. ((((hugs)))
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:31 PM

My DH developed dermatographia after having extensive dental/periodontal work done that involved ALOT of novacaine. Every evening he gets a rash (its been in various locations on his body) that itches like crazy and if he even touches it it red, raised, welts come up. We've been researching it online - so far what has been working is topical benedryl gel and then he takes an oral benedryl to help him sleep - but this only seems to work temporarily. He's going to try Zyrtec to see if that is a more permanent solution - that seems to be what most of the information we've found online says works best.

I know it is awful to itch like that - I'd almost rather hurt than itch. Hope you find something that eases it for you.
Unread 05-07-2011, 09:22 PM

Are you taking pain meds? Maybe that's it.

I had a condition like you are describing once, years ago, and it turned out to be roseaca. (I'm not sure how to spell that.) It's a common thing people get sometimes. I took some meds to make it go away, but I don't remember what they were.

So that's probably no help at all, LOL. But yes--contact your dr. for sure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register