went to uro today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

went to uro today went to uro today

Unread 10-05-2005, 11:49 AM
went to uro today

went to uro dr today. did some tests and said they would be putting in a mesh sling with adhesive on it and that my tissue would grow around it. sounds kinda scary. really makes me want to take it easy during recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2005, 12:50 PM
went to uro today

I had a burch procedure which is also called a bladder sling. I didn't get mesh. I had tests too. You might want to ask some of the post-op sisters. I have heard of this though. My best too you.

Theresa
Unread 10-05-2005, 01:11 PM
went to uro today

i am getting the sling at least that is what they are calling it but no mention of burch procedure what is that and how is it done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2005, 05:34 PM
went to uro today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfair
i am getting the sling at least that is what they are calling it but no mention of burch procedure what is that and how is it done?
As it was explained to me by my URO/GYN and then from some research I did about it. It is a surgical procedure used to treat true stress incontinence. I may not exactly have this right, but this is how I understood it. The bladder is lifted and tacked to the ligaments. The vagina is also tacked up too. I have read the cure rate with this surgery is 93%. I would say mine is 100%.

I figured that my incontinence was from having a size 5 month uterus sitting on my bladder. She said that might be contributing but she didn't think that was my only problem. My bladder had fallen. Not badly, but was not as high as it should have been. I really questioned her on this. My opinion was why have it done if it wasn't needed? She assured me tests would be run first. I had a stress test on both my bladder and my bowel (had no issues with my bowel, it was part of the test).

After the test, she said, I did have true stress incontinence. She said it would worsen with time. She also said it isn't uncommon in women that have delivered babies vaginally. I decided to go ahead and have the repair now and not face another abdominal surgery in the future. My hyster was going to be abdominal either way. I didn't have a bowel problem.

And I am not sure, but I think "bladder sling" and "burch procedure" are basically the same thing. I do know that they are using the surgical mesh more and more now. My daughter has it.....she had a hernia repair last December. And they used it on my aunt a few years ago for bladder/bowel repair. I'm sure there are other "sisters" who may know more about this.

I hope this helps. My best to you in your surgery.
Unread 10-06-2005, 02:52 PM
went to uro today

A burch is not considered a sling. As texastea explained, in the burch they put sutures alongside your bladder/bladder neck and attach them to the cooper's ligament(s). This puts the bladder neck back up where it should be. When it drops down it causes incontinence.

A sling is putting material -- your own, synthetic, or cadaverous -- under the urethra to act as a hammock when stress (coughing, sneezing, activity) tries to push it down.

The TVT and related procedures have really revolutionized things in the past few years because it is minimally invasive and doesn't even require general anesthesia. (Using two small incisions around the pubic bone and one in the vagina, they thread a lacy mesh under the urethra. Your own tissue then grows through the mesh, making it more secure.)

A few years ago, the burch and the sling were considered the gold standards for incontinence even though there were many other procedures out there. Because of the nature of the surgery, the TVT, TOT, sparc, monarch, etc. (variations on a theme, and by different manufacturers wanting to sell products and instruments!) are becoming more and more popular.

Wishing you much success.
Unread 10-06-2005, 05:00 PM
went to uro today

Thanks bonniebes,

I know I had kept seeing "sling" and my doctor never called it that. I know they are really using the mesh more and more. Another Aunt called yesterday evening and said she had seen a URO and that is what they are talking about with her, the mesh for incontinence. As I said, I didn't have the mesh. And I couldn't remember what the ligaments were called. I will say so far it has worked though. Only had one problem since surgery and thought something was really wrong. I had a UTI from "fleeing" hurricane Rita. My bladder spasmed and I couldn't stop it! Anyway, doctor said not to worry. And as I said everything is working fine. So I'd say mine is 100%.
Unread 10-07-2005, 05:14 AM
went to uro today

Yeah thanks a million bonniebes that explaination really clears things up.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register