HELP...incontinence question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP...incontinence question HELP...incontinence question

Unread 04-19-2007, 02:23 PM
HELP...incontinence question

I have been having some leaky bladder issues here lately and I have not discussed this with my obgyn, I have my pre-op with him tomorrow, but, I am afraid to say anything and have my surgery postponed. I am in way to much pain for that. Any ideas, my last dr whom I did mention it too said that my pelvic floor was good and strong and she didn't think I was actually leaking urine and that it was just discharge, but I can't really tell to be honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2007, 03:29 PM

Hi

I see from looking at your profile, that you have fibroilds.

Before my surgery, my very oversized uterus was pushing on my bladder causing some incontinence problems for me. Once I recovered, the issue went away.

I understand that you are afraid of having your surgery postponed, but you really should let your Dr know what is going on. If by chance it is something that needs to be corrected surgically, isn't it better to get it taken care of at the same time instead of having to have another surgery down the road?

Let us know how your visit goes tomorrow.

s and Best Wishes,
Kay
Unread 04-19-2007, 03:29 PM

I would recommend talking with your doctor tomorrow. If it is an issue that can be repaired, they can probably do it when they do surgery. If you wait until afterwards to discuss it with your doctor and your problem requires surgical repair, you are just setting yourself up for a second surgery...or a lot of inconvenience!!

Just my opinion. But I really think you need the doctor's advise!

Kim
LAVH/BSO with Climara patch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2007, 04:37 PM

I'd mention it to your doc. Unfortunately, me asking that same question ended up putting off my surgery, but that was by my choice. My GYN doesn't treat incontinence and I had to be referred out. The urogyn said I could do the surgery, he would just do his later. But he also wants a cystoscopy done with IV sedation, so I asked if I could just reschedule my surgery and do it all at once. Due to my schedule, I had to wait an additional 10 weeks, but at least it's a one time shot. Good luck with everything!
Unread 04-19-2007, 05:36 PM

Definately mention it to your Dr. My friend told me to mention it and I waited until the preop 3 days before, and yes it did bring things to a screeching halt. I tried to get past that and just say, that if something like a prolapse happened later, maybe I could just get that corrected at that time. Just to be sure, and probably for the insurance issues, I needed to have urodynamic testing to see what the issues were, if it was being caused my fibroids, MS, or just a weak pelivic floor. I agree with everyone else, I would not have wanted an extra surgery, with the general anesthesia, and the recovery period, if I could ( and did) get it corrected during this surgery. Maybe the Dr could get you some pain pills, if your surgery is delayed. Mine was delayed by 2 months, but only because only one person in the office does those tests, and only 3 days a week, so she was booked up for a month. Tests would determine what the cause is so you wouldn't be trying to determine a medical condition or possibility of additional surgery by your best guess. I ended up getting a bladder sling. Is it helping? Too soon for me to tell. I know it is different for sure.

Blessings,
Maureen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register