Scheduling questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduling questions Scheduling questions

Unread 06-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Scheduling questions

How did you fine ladies decide that X date was the day?

Between kids and hubby, how did you figure out what worked best? Especially since we're talking at least a week you'll need someone with you.

Course that's another question, how long do you *need* someone to be there full time. At least a week, two weeks, or more...before you *have* to have someone there full time? I know it's all relative, and each person is different, but trying to get a general time frame.

Any time after mid July to the end of Aug there will only be 2 kids to deal with. A then-10yo, and a 6yo. So in some ways they can fend for themselves, but I know I'll have them go to my mom's for that first week after surgery. After that, they can be a help fetching stuff for me, and getting their own snacks and things.

I imagine it'll help for Hubby to take that week off as well, or go in for short periods of time. What about longer? Will I need him to be here for 2 weeks, or can I hope to be up doing some stuff by myself by that 2nd week? Into the 3rd?

I guess over all, just trying to get a feel for how much time did this take up for you before you were "normal" <as in, didn't need someone with you 24/7 just in case>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Re: Scheduling questions

I was lucky enough to schedule mine the week after school got out so I had a week to get my house in order. I would recommend to have your hubby for at least 2 weeks. My church took care of dinners which was really nice for my hubby and kids. I have a 6 and 3 year old at home. I also went grocery shopping and bought enough essentials for a month-toilet paper, snacks. etc. Safeway.com delivers which was also very helpful .

I'm 3 weeks post op and I still don't feel normal.
Unread 06-22-2009, 05:20 PM

Hi, I am 6 days post-op and my husband went back to work today. I really needed him to be with me in the hospital both days, and I was very dependent on him the following 3 days. I needed help getting in and out of bed, showering, I needed an arm to hold while I walked, plus I needed someone to make and serve my food. I had a friend come and check on me this morning, we went on a short walk. My children come home from grandma's tomorrow. I have told them I will need their help with meals and dishes, and we can watch movies together and play board games. I would definately recommend some help with dinners for the first 2 weeks. I had my surgery over the summer so it would not conflict with all of the school activities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2009, 07:51 PM

I had my LAVH 12 days ago and only needed help for a week. I know I am going to hear it about only having time to heal right once. But honestly I am doing GREAT I am being very careful not to over do it. I get up every AM and fix my sons Bfast and put their dishes in the dishwasher, then I sit down for most of the morning and watch TV. then I fix them lunch and then I put the lunch dishes in the dishwasher.

Then it's back on the couch for more TV watching. I am even doing the laundry. Small loads. I am having my oldest son carry the baskets into the living room so I can fold them and I carry each persons pile into each room one at a time (small piles) and put them away.

And in between doing all of this I am resting!!!!!!!!!

I really am doing great! So please no yelling at me!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 06-22-2009, 08:04 PM

Lisa, you are so cute, nobody could ever yell at you!

Beisdes (believe it or not) it's partly thanks to you that I am so calm about my upcoming surgery. I recall how scared and nervous you were during the weeks you were waiting, and now you're doing great and recovering like a real trooper.

And I keep telling myself, if you can do it... I can do it too!!
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:04 PM

I didn't have a choice when to schedule my surgery. My D and C came back with cancer, and my doctor immediately scheduled my surgery the next week. I had my hubby at the hospital for the four days I was there. He wouldn't leave for that long. Then when I got home, he stayed with me for the next four days. After that, he would come home at lunch and make sure I was ok. We don't have children, so it was a bit easier for us.
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:16 PM

Altagal,

AAAWWWW I totally expected to get yelled at!!!! But really I feel sooooo good! I am being very very careful not to over do it! If I feel the slightest bit tired or crampy I go and lay down on the couch and I have been making myself take a nap everyday!

You are so right I was scared and nervous and you are right again....... If I can do it you can too!!!! The fear of the unknown and the waiting is truly the hardest part. And to be quite honest the first night home I wondered what I had gotten myslef into but by the time I had went to bed I was already feeling better. But here I am almost 2 weeks later feeling like a FABULOUS new me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget to request a copy of your pathology report!! I found out I had adenomyosis and didn't even know it!!!!!

to all!!!!
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:17 PM

While my ablation in Dec. 07 caused me to not have my period anymore; I started having pain about 4months ago and finally went back (over a year later) for a follow-up. The doc scheduled a D&C/Hysteroscopy on June 4th. While in surgery, they found my lining fused together and could not do a D&C. So, I decided to have the hysterectomy.

I work for a major Ivy-League University and it's a good time to have the surgery as school is out and no faculty are around. Also, I picked July 20th, as I had already made vacation plans with a friend who is visiting from NH from July 10th to the 18th. So, after a fun-filled trip to Atlantic City and some beach time, I'll be having surgery on July 20th. It worked out perfectly and I'll be able to recoup for the remainder of the summer, before school starts on Sept. 17th.
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:41 PM

Hi BlueEyedWonder

Because my kids are teenagers and could take care of me instead of needing to be taken care of, I had some different factors in my decision. I am a college professor, and it was important to me to finish up all the finals and grading from the fall semester. I scheduled my surgery for the day after Christmas, which allowed me to get through finals, have a little Christmas, and still have as much of my winter break as possible to recuperate without having to claim days of leave for my whole recovery.

My kids were on break for my first week, so they took care of me. By the time they returned to school, they were happy to be getting away from me and I didn't need the help at that point.

It's most important to find a time that will allow you to recover as fully as possible, but just having the date scheduled is a huge relief.

Unread 06-23-2009, 06:49 AM

I could of had my surgery 2 weeks earlier than I did, but my parents were going on a cruise. They wanted to be here for me. Having it 3 days before Christmas worked out perfectly. I and my 3 girls (teenagers) were on Christmas break. So I had them home for the first 2 weeks. I didn't have to do anything on Christmas day except lay on the couch and open presents. Hubby and girls did all the cooking. By the time my girls went back to school I was feeling pretty good. My parents were her to get me to my post-op appts. Hubby is a truck driver so he had left back out on the road by then. I only had to use 4 weeks of sick leave instead of 6. I could of put it off til summer break but I am a real outdoors person and didn't want to spend half my break recuperating. So Christmas worked out for me really well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register