Scheduled TAH Scared to death | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared to death Scared to death

Unread 07-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Scared to death

Hello all, I am new here, and this is my first post. I recently scheduled a TAH and am beyond scared to death. I have had 4 c- sections, and although I know the surgeries are different, there are some similarities, and because of my somewhat familiarity I do not understand my fear but I am absolutely scared to death... Is it normal to be this scared? I wake up in the morning feeling nervous and have a hard time sleeping at night due to nerves. My surgery is still 3 weeks away and every day I become more nervous and scared, I have even began to think outrageously crazy thoughts like "what if I die?" am I the only one who has had these thoughts and fears? Are they normal. I knwo that the surgery is the best option for me, but I can not seem to shake these horrible nerves, and all the many questions/concerns I have floating around in my head only makes the anxiety worse... Am I alone in these fears? Have I totally lost my mind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Re: Scared to death

No, you have not lost your mind. No matter what you have been through this is it's own entity and requires you to process. I had one recently and I found this website to be helpful, I hope you do, too. Any surgery is frightening, it would be silly to not acknowledge that. I was calm going into my surgery, but my fiancé was freaking out. All stress and fear finds a way to manifest itself, and creatively so. So, breathe..... You are going to be ok. Here is what I know so far to support that: You are looking for information before you do this, smart! You are a mother and a post op veteran, so if you do this, you can handle it, tough! Good odds so far. I will check in with you tomorrow! Get some rest, you do not have to do all of this in one day. Hugs!
Unread 07-19-2012, 11:33 PM

I totally understand your fears... The unknown is frightening! I was very scared even though I had 2 c sections. I thought it was the same, but it turned out to be VERY different. The only similarity is the incision. For me, The pain and recovery were worlds apart from a c section. I'm 5 Weeks post op today and I feel like I felt at 1 1/2 Weeks post c section. This takes longer to heal internally (up to a year) I've never been so tired in my life! At this stage, I'm tired of resting and ready to begin my pain/flood free life!! You've made it this far now the waiting is almost over!! ((hugs)) you'll be just fine. This is just my experience. I was really surprised at how different the two surgeries are. it would have been nice to have an honest heads up. Sending best wishes your way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2012, 11:54 PM

I am sure that what you are feeling is very normal. My surgery is scheduled for this Monday and I have gone through many different emotions. I also know that before the weekend is over, I'll go through a few more. I have had 2 C-Sections myself & I feel pretty good about my upcoming recovery. I've noticed that I am definitely more anxious about the things that I can't control like biopsy results or any unforseen complications. In reality, I have the odds on my side and so do you! WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Unread 07-20-2012, 01:50 PM

Your fears are normal, I had them too just as you described. I wanted to turn around and leave the hospital but I kept walking and did the preop and as I was being wheeled into the operating room I felt somewhat calm like I could hear what they were saying to me but I was in a calm like state, maybe due to the medication and all I remember is waking up in recovery and my husband telling me I am ok everything went good...good luck to you ..
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:04 PM

I go in Tuesday and am a little nervous too! I have only had 1 C-Section and I bounced back fast I hope this isnt that long of a recovery I have 4 kids and a career and business to run!! Wish me luck! Its the LAH!!
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:16 PM

I had three C-sections. And I was more nervous about my hyst than I was those surgeries. This surgery is a big deal, and often takes a long time to decide to do it. Nerves are so very normal. I was totally confident in my decision, yet the week or so before felt like a spring that was wound up too tight. At any moment I just knew I was going come completely unglued. In fact the morning of my surgery my blood pressure was through the roof!

All came out well though, and even though my recovery was a little bit longer than most I don't regret it one bit!
Unread 07-21-2012, 08:16 AM

Hi I also had a Caesar and my doctor told me first this is much bigger surgery and second after having a child your body is flooded with healing hormones and you also have the extra blood to cope with any loss better. I am so glad I found this site about 3 weeks before my op. it helped so much. I looked at general posts and then searched for questions I had then started some new topics and got a lot of great advice back. It didn't stop my anxiety but helped with information and with preparing for the things I could do before I went in. I am on day 6 and doing ok. Good luck
Unread 07-21-2012, 09:30 AM

Hello

Im new to the site and very anxious regarding my operation on the 15th of August. Following confirmation of the operation two weeks ago I have had to visit the GPs 3 times due to panic and anxiety. I have now been prescribed Citalopram 20 mg (daily) and Diazepan 2mg (as required). Im not sure whether to take the Citalopram as I feel my anxietyand low mood may go away once I have had the operation. Has anyone else felt so much fear. I feel so stupid as to why I am behaving like this .
Unread 07-21-2012, 09:47 AM

I could have written your post a couple days ago, Lilbit83! I was terrified because I am very overweight and had been smoking ( nerves) up until my surgery day. I had my LAVH yesterday at 2:00 pm, and I am so relieved. There were no complcations, and now I wonder why in the world I was such a mess. The waiting for surgery is definitely the worst part! When you get to the hospital, ask for a drug called Verset to help calm your nerves. They'll wait until after you speak with your doctor and anesthiologist because you need to be lucid for that. My surgery was delayed a couple hours , and I thought I was going to lose my mind from worrying, but this drug was a God send! Not only is it a "happy" pill but i was able to doze through some of the awful waiting. You will be ok!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register