12 days out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-05-2005, 09:19 AM
12 days out

Hi Ladies,

I am just starting to get a little active now. Got my staples removed Thursday. Learning how to bathe with incision/steri-tape and deal with hormone patch.

I had world-class care - I can't speak highly enough of the nursing and clincial staff that took care of me from Monday morning to Thurday morning, I was able to progress nicely through each process (removal of cath, eating solid foods; getting off the IV; getting off the oxycodone) due to their calm compassion coupled with my utter relief of having this surgery done.

I did get little impatient with the freqent questions by staff as to why at 36 I was having my ovaries removed and I found that it was uncommon for this to be done for "just" disabling periods and exteme emotional/mood problems due to hormonal shifts. But my doctor knew I was desperate - beyond the end of my rope - I was had given up hope that I would ever be normal and figured no doc would take out my ovaries without cancer or something as serious.

My doc's assistant, a very charming man, questioned me on the ovary thing as the anesthesiologist was preparing my IV pre-op, I told him that if I woke up and eveything was not gone, I was going to move in with him. My Mom and husband tried to keep from laughing and he stammered a little trying to recover from that.

Later on when he would come to see me he would assure me that "everything was out" and I would say "I guess you won't have to worry about me and a u-haul coming down the road then."

The surgeon told my husband and mom afterwards that I was covered with endometriosis.

This site calmed my fears, made me laugh, helped me to learn that this a process that requires us to be strong, intuitive, humble, humorous, forgiving and advocates for our own needs.

Happiness!
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2005, 12:23 PM
12 days out

Hi Jen,

What a positive experience for you. It's good to hear that some hospitals and staff can get it right. I guess they have to be really careful about removing those ovaries at your age incase you come back with an attorney. You made your wishes well known...I bet the assistant surgeon will never forget you!

I hope you find great relief with your new body. May you have a lazy, uneventful recovery!
Best wishes, Maralyn
Unread 02-05-2005, 01:24 PM
12 days out

I understand the flack you can get I just got my ovaries removed along with everything else and I am 25. people think that it must be a horrilble expieriance but I have found that just the relief of not having the severe discomfort form the endo had made it worth while. hang in there and so happy to hear that you have had a wonderful expiriance with your recovery so far!
kelsey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Re: 12 days out

Quote:
Originally posted by writewrongs
I told him that if I woke up and eveything was not gone, I was going to move in with him. My Mom and husband tried to keep from laughing and he stammered a little trying to recover from that.

Oh Jen! You just cracked me up! I'm so glad you had such good care in the castle and that you're on your way to what sounds like a great recovery!
Take good care!

joano
Unread 02-06-2005, 06:58 PM
12 days out

I firmly belive with this age is just a number. I am 28 and just turned that 2 days before my op ALOT of people did'nt understand this but you know your body and if it was time it just was. Hope you feel wonderful and beautiful soon

28 yrs lavh 1-25-2005

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register