Upcoming hysterectomy (7/30): So emotional | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy (7/30): So emotional Upcoming hysterectomy (7/30): So emotional

Unread 07-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy (7/30): So emotional

My surgery is finally scheduled for July 30..my doctor changed dates 6 times and I have had so many female problems in the last year..my insurance wouldn't approve me to get another opinion or to switch doctors...I've been an emotional wreck...Also I don't have too many people who can help can anyone give me tips to help the emotions plus any tips to be prepared or things I should have on hand ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Re: So emotional

What type of hysterectomy are you having? Are you keeping your ovaries? I had a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy and they took both ovaries. I am 6 days post op right now. My emotions are stable (they were not before surgery)but the hot flashes have started.Depending on what type of surgery your having will depend on your recovery and the things you may or may not want to invest it. First off, Granny panties. The big old fashioned white ones that almost or do cover your belly button. A back scratcher, a grabber ( you can find at walmart in the pharmacy section), thin panty liners, a shower chair (depending on type of surgery). A shower head that you can hold in your hand. Books to read, set up your space that you will spend the most time in. Prepare some meals ahead of time that you can freeze and just heat in the microwave or get someone to pop in the oven for you. I also got a lap tray for easier eating. Those are just some of the things I have found to be very useful.
Unread 07-23-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megnezzo0315 View Post
What type of hysterectomy are you having? Are you keeping your ovaries? I had a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy and they took both ovaries. I am 6 days post op right now. My emotions are stable (they were not before surgery)but the hot flashes have started.Depending on what type of surgery your having will depend on your recovery and the things you may or may not want to invest it. First off, Granny panties. The big old fashioned white ones that almost or do cover your belly button. A back scratcher, a grabber ( you can find at walmart in the pharmacy section), thin panty liners, a shower chair (depending on type of surgery). A shower head that you can hold in your hand. Books to read, set up your space that you will spend the most time in. Prepare some meals ahead of time that you can freeze and just heat in the microwave or get someone to pop in the oven for you. I also got a lap tray for easier eating. Those are just some of the things I have found to be very useful.
Don't forget the slip on shoes or slippers, plus pants with a comfortable waistband.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2014, 10:26 PM

My surgery is the day before yours and it is good to know i am not alone in being so emotional. I am just trying to stay busy with work and cleaning my home. If you need to vent i am here and understand.
Unread 07-23-2014, 10:45 PM

Mine is the same day & each day the knot gets bigger in my stomach. Research on here pre op prep ideas. Above comments had great ideas. I have started packing my overnight bag, getting things for home post surgery & just trying to finish up at work. My emotions are a wreck & I finally asked my Dr for help medication wise. If you feel up to it, get house organized so it's ready for when you come home. I was freaking out about meals but since the last few days I've been surprised by people saying they are bringing food by. You may be surprised by the help that will be offered. I will be thinking of you!
Unread 07-24-2014, 12:22 AM

Please don't be afraid to ask for help. As women , we're usually taking care of others and find it hard to ask for help. This isn't a time to try and do everything. Sometimes people want to help but don't know how but if you let them know what you need, that makes it easier on everyone.

Some great suggestions above. One thing I did was stock my kitchen with high fiber foods to help move things along for bowel movements. If you can, prepare some meals and freeze them ahead of time; you can easily reheat them when you get hungry.

I bought a few sundresses/loungewear so when I'm up and around, I'm dressed but still very comfortable.

It's very normal to be emotional no matter the reason for your surgery. Best of luck!
Unread 07-24-2014, 12:35 AM

Yep, the granny undies, comfy nighties (not pj's coz you won't want anything on your stomach), a comfy robe & slippers. Face wipes, because you won't be able to move around much after but at least you can freshen yourself up a bit.
Just a few suggestions, but your emotions are normal. I knew I needed the surgery and that I would be better for it, but still was crying relentlessly in the lead up to my op.
I'm now 9 days post op & already feeling like a new woman. I'm just enjoying the break from work & keeping my mind occupied by learning other languages.
Take care & know that we are all here for you.
Big hugs...
Unread 07-24-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopz7 View Post
Yep, the granny undies, comfy nighties (not pj's coz you won't want anything on your stomach), a comfy robe & slippers. Face wipes, because you won't be able to move around much after but at least you can freshen yourself up.

I'm now 9 days post op & already feeling like a new woman. I'm just enjoying the break from work & keeping my mind occupied by learning other languages.
Take care & know that we are all here for you.
Big hugs...

I hadn't thought of the learning a new language to keep yourself occupied. That's a good one actually. I do have face wipes on hand as well. Another thought is make sure that you have a lot of little hand towels to use when showering and a slip mat in your shower or tub. Plenty of clean towels on hand for drying off. You may want to think about the placement of your clothing. My panties were in a bottom drawer and I had to get my DH to move them to another space for me to reach. Get any microwavable bowls down ahead of time and place them and any cups or utensils that you may be using within reach without having to bend or reach above for them. Clean blankets or pillows, have on hand. I also have ended up sleeping in the recliner because I didn't realize my bed was too high for me to get in and out of. Check that out pre-surgery as well. If you have to use your ab muscles to get up and down from it, then you don't want to sleep there until you are better healed.

Another thing, try and have some soups in the pantry and some fresh fruit on hand as well. You may not feel like eating heavy meals that people bring over the first few days. Cranberry Juice is good to have as well as some cranberry pills in case you develop any problems urinating. I haven't so far but have it just in case. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Rubberbands to pull your hair back if it's long. Extra ice for an ice pack refills or a re-freezable ice pack. Also a heating pad (came in handy for sore back sitting in recliner all day). Maybe a Caddie to keep all of your remotes in, a pen and a paper pad to keep track of when you take your medicine. Ear plugs come in handy for the hospital stay. Those machines beep like crazy keeping you awake. Lip balm because you will get dry. My surgery was surgery and I was expecting it to be difficult, but it was a little easier than I thought it would be.. especially by being prepared ahead of time. If you have animals, small dogs or cats or what not. you may want to consider a gate with a swinging door to keep them out of your "space" for a bit. I am or was terrified of my small Chi jumping on my tummy. They are locked in the kichen/den area with this gate that I LOVE. Walmart has those as well. The loose dresses are a great idea as well. I didn't think of buying any new ones before surgery but I did get me some nighties. Sending DH out for the dresses tomorrow. Tired of feeling in night clothes all of the time. I have a few already and wore one to the doc today. You really will not want any elastic around your waist at this point. The hospital should give you a small travel pillow but having a few extra on hand does not hurt in the least. You can use them for everything or keep one in every room as that pillow will become a life line for you. If your toilet seat is low you can also look into getting one that is raised to fit over your toilet with the handles. I started to but ran out of money.. lol. So I deal with squatting a little lower which has actually helped with my gas problem some. I am very gentle and hang on very tight to bars. These are things that have really really helped me in the last six days. If I think of more or use different ones in the near future I will post the new ideas for you. Your surgery will be fine, you will be so thankful that you did it. I am. I planned mine 4 months ahead of time and gave three months notice to my job. I was an emotional wreck and waffled back and forth a lot myself. In the end, I am a hyster sister princess on the other side now. You can do this. We are here for you if you need us. Oh.. and if anyone else has any other ideas please post. I am always looking for more ways to simplify my recovery as well. big hugs and lots of love..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register