6 days post hysterectomy: Insomnia and weird dreams | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days post hysterectomy: Insomnia and weird dreams 6 days post hysterectomy: Insomnia and weird dreams

Unread 09-26-2015, 06:40 PM
6 days post hysterectomy: Insomnia and weird dreams

I am finding my body clock has gone haywire. I am 6 days post op and am finding it very difficult to get to sleep until around 0100. Then, I am having semi-conscious dreams that are playing out really fast. I can't control them. Is this med related? I've stopped napping in the day but this hasn't improved it.
I haven't been able to remove pain meds as I want to (like my body to be natural as possible).
I'm then waking at 0400 and 0600 and then have meds which see me sleep until 0900.
I'm lying in bed most of the day as I feel I've been kicked by a horse in my abdo and my backside. The aftermath is surprising me as I am quite fit.
I am not up to light housework or cooking compared to some of my amazing warrior sisters. How do you do it?
Lounging in bed is really not me but it's all I can manage. Should I expect more from my body?
Kaki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2015, 10:11 AM
Re: 6 days post hysterectomy: Insomnia and weird dreams

I found the sleep was elusive to me for the first 4 months. I was lucky to get 4 hours. I had weird dreams but I always do anyway. I have heard that some people do have strange dreams while on narcs. I was in bed most times too at that stage due to,pain and tiredness.Remember everyone heals differently and every surgery it different. I wouldn't compare yourself to anyone else on this website...
Unread 09-27-2015, 10:51 AM

When I stopped the pain meds my strange dreams stopped and I slept MUCH better! Hang in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaki Goat View Post
I am finding my body clock has gone haywire. I am 6 days post op and am finding it very difficult to get to sleep until around 0100. Then, I am having semi-conscious dreams that are playing out really fast. I can't control them. Is this med related? I've stopped napping in the day but this hasn't improved it.
I haven't been able to remove pain meds as I want to (like my body to be natural as possible).
I'm then waking at 0400 and 0600 and then have meds which see me sleep until 0900.
I'm lying in bed most of the day as I feel I've been kicked by a horse in my abdo and my backside. The aftermath is surprising me as I am quite fit.
I am not up to light housework or cooking compared to some of my amazing warrior sisters. How do you do it?
Lounging in bed is really not me but it's all I can manage. Should I expect more from my body?
Kaki
Welcome to the Other Side! First: No you should not expect more from your body. You've had major surgery. Your body has been through a trauma and it really does take 6 weeks to heal. I spent most of my first week post op in bed sleeping. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck and I hurt everywhere. Walking to the kitchen or the bathroom was my limit. Each week gets a little better. Increase your activities gradually and listen to your body. It will let you know when you've done enough.

For me the insomnia kicked in a few weeks after surgery. I would fall asleep fine but wake around 1:00 am and that was it. This is very common after surgery. Since I was off work, I just slept whenever my body was able to, day or night.

Sleep? I used to Sleep...
I also had the nightmares and disturbing dreams. Dreams too disturbing to describe here. This will pass... in the meantime, try not to dwell on them.
Nightmares
Don't compare yourself to anyone else. You are wonderful and unique and you will have a hysterectomy experience that is unique to you.

Unread 09-27-2015, 06:54 PM

I'm with you on the crazy dreams. Last night I had the worst nightmare! I am 4 days post op. I was trying to stay off narcs today and did great till an hour ago. My other reason for no narcos was hoping I'd poop. But that's another topic
Unread 09-27-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regina.m.l View Post
I'm with you on the crazy dreams. Last night I had the worst nightmare! I am 4 days post op. I was trying to stay off narcs today and did great till an hour ago. My other reason for no narcos was hoping I'd poop. But that's another topic
My dreams are just on super fast mode. I have no control in them (for my OCD this is a concern &#128527
I have stool softeners to ensure no pushing. Make sure you don't try and push through the pain for the sacrifice. This was particularly important to me as I had a prolapsed bowel repair and don't want to cause the repair to come undone!
One day at a time...
Unread 09-27-2015, 07:55 PM

Hi, Kaki

I'm sorry to hear you're having weird dreams and that you aren't feeling very well. I completely understand since I'm in the same exact spot. I'm 9 days post op and still have pain, soreness, tenderness, and even mild swelling around the belly button.

It may just be normal to feel this way but you could always check with doctor if it concerns you. The dreams and nightmares are just down right freaky and intense. I have them as well. Maybe the dreams are normal and will improve with time or stop once the narcotics stop.

I hope you have a speedy recovery!
Unread 09-30-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Kaki
I am 5 weeks post op today. I experienced insomnia really bad for the first three weeks. Even with Ambien I could only sleep a few hours at a time, and I had no luck napping during the day. I am doing better now. I do have weird dreams that wake me up. I still will take a motrin pm a few times a week, but it is getting better. Hang in there, it gets better. I am still not back to work yet. Dr says maybe after 6 week check up. Just trying to rest and heal. 😊
Unread 09-30-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie44 View Post
I am 5 weeks post op today. I experienced insomnia really bad for the first three weeks. Even with Ambien I could only sleep a few hours at a time, and I had no luck napping during the day. I am doing better now. I do have weird dreams that wake me up. I still will take a motrin pm a few times a week, but it is getting better. Hang in there, it gets better. I am still not back to work yet. Dr says maybe after 6 week check up. Just trying to rest and heal. 😊
Thanks for your reassurance that there are others experiencing similar things to me. Two nights ago, I couldn't get to sleep until 0530 due to the endone which was also giving me heart palpitations. I've now cut back to just Panadol and although it doesn't cut all the pain away, sleep is now my friend again. I've got a dr appt on Mon so I may ask for a middle of the road pain med then.
Unread 09-30-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Kaki
Hi there.
What you are experiencing with the weird dreams is the narcotic pain meds. I'm 8 months post op and remember going through this and many others doing the same. The insomnia is a post hyst issue. It's nearly 1 am and I'm wide awake. The insomnia is becoming less frequent but expected. The narcotics can also make you a little constipated. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register