PMS question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-17-2006, 12:48 PM
PMS question

Every month before my period, for about a week my breasts get so tender that even my clothes hurt them. It is very uncomfortable and upsetting. This pain lasts until my period starts then magically disappears compleatly until next time. Now lately I cant say its always before my period, because sometimes I only have a week between periods so...But eventually that pain will come.
So my question is this, I will be leaving my ovaries in, (if all is O.K once the Dr. in taking a look) so I understand that some PMS symptoms may persist. But does anyone think that they will be reduced? I hope so because not only do I have pain and crazy bleeding. I have terrible PMS symptoms, and I want them gone too. I know compared to what I endure now, sore breasts are but a small portion, but I would love for that to stop, it is quite painful!
Any words of wisdom for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2006, 01:05 PM
PMS question

I had the same problem as you before my LSH. My periods ended up lasting about 3 weeks out of a month but even my bra hurt my breasts. I kept my ovaries and cervix. It's been a little over 4 weeks since my surgery and I can tell you that I have had some of the same symptoms and have ovulated too twice since my surgery....but the best part is that it's only lasted about a day instead of a week or more. I used to get migraines almost every month...but now it seems I get a little nagging headache for about a day then it goes away. The best part is NO MORE AUNT FLO! It's quite manageable. I am so glad I had this surgery, I just wish I could do more and regain my stamina faster. Good luck and hope this helps.
Unread 08-17-2006, 02:13 PM
PMS question

Some ladies do find that some of their PMS decreases after their hyst, so hopefully you will be in that group! For me, my PMS is worse, but I used bcp for many years to help with my cycles and that also helped my PMS.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2006, 05:46 PM
PMS question

Thanks for the answers, I am a little disappointed, I so wanted to hear, Oh dont worry that PMS thing will be history!! I don't even want to think about my PMS stuff getting worse, that would be so upsetting after having a TAH! but I guess that is the risk of keeping the ovaries!
Unread 08-18-2006, 01:16 AM
PMS question

hi aug.its dolly here.Iwas going to keep my ovaries,because im one crazy lady leading up to my period,So after loads of reading,and weighing up the pros and cons of either keeping or losingthem ,i decidedthey have to go .Apparantly , if you go on a small amount of estrogen.you will adjust and be fine .Just think NO MORE PMS.hurrah.i look forward to see what you decide to do .good luck in yr surgery august i will be in touchxxxx
Unread 08-18-2006, 05:37 AM
PMS question

Hey Auggie (may I call you Auggie?lol) I am in the same boat. I used to have slight breast tenderness during PMS, but since my fibroids reared their ugly little heads, I am right with you on even clothes hurting. When I take my bra off in the evening it's awful! I really think from what I read, it will improve in a few months-no go away, but more normal. If it's not that...it's hot flashes!
Unread 08-18-2006, 05:58 AM
PMS question

I have the same problem too...when the bra comes off I feel as if the tears could flow! They feel like weights and hurt when I roll over, bend over...essentially...they hurt when prodded by gravity! lol I too was praying that would be gone, but it makes sense some of the symptoms would stay being that we are still producing the same hormones with our ovaries.

Last I heard I'm keeping my ovaries...but I guess you just never know til they take a little looksie inside!
Unread 08-18-2006, 09:03 AM
PMS question

I had the same problem. Before my period I could barely walk they hurt so bad. I am 2 weeks post op and would normally be on my cycle now and NO PAIN! I am loving this!
Unread 08-18-2006, 10:00 AM
PMS question

My PMS is just the same ... but I'm still thrilled, though, not having those appalling periods.

Don't forget your ovaries may go into 'shock' following surgery ... mine took about 2 months to 'wake up'. During that time you may experience menopausal-type symptoms.

I look at it this way ... it's a good way to tell that my ovaries are still working!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register