scared silly - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-24-2008, 11:07 PM
scared silly

I was worried about the surgery, and told the nurse at my pre-op appointment at the hospital this. She made a note in my file, and they gave me a Valium right after I changed into my gown. This helped immensely. Ask your doctor, or the nurse at the hospital about this.

As for the surgery and recovery, it was not bad, and recovery is going well. I am feeling really good, actually.

I hope my words can alleviate some of your fears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2008, 06:10 AM
scared silly

I wait up shakey because this is all I think of. thank you for you kind words.I just do not know if I can get through this.I know I have to but the fear plays on your mind
Unread 01-26-2008, 03:07 PM
scared silly

LEAN.... I am 6 weeks post op I, like the other sisters was afraid. once you go to sleep ,you will wake up when its all over. My one consolation, (because I was also afraid of going under, this being my first major surgery)was that this is a very common surgery and its old hat for the drs. and anesthesiologists. one day you will be on the post op side with the rest of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2008, 06:44 PM
scared silly

I was really nervous and scared about going under, too, but I just had my LAVH on Tuesday and honestly the nerves leading up to the operation were the worst part. I woke up afterwards in 0 pain and with no nausea or even discomfort. Since then, the worst my pain got was about a 4 or 5, but only once when I saw too many visitors in a row and forgot to take some medicine. Today is the fourth day post-op and I'm just a little sore and bloated and have general fatigue. But I'm so relieved that it's over and done with and now I can move forward, get fully healed and live an energetic and free life again. Good luck with your procedure!
Unread 01-26-2008, 07:48 PM
scared silly

I'am glad you are doing so well. How many days were you in the hosiptal? What kind of cut do you have? Thank you for your kind words. It sure helps talking to all of these nice woman I hope I do as well. hope you are back to your old self soon.
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:07 PM
scared silly

moerem,
I had my surgery on Tuesday afternoon and I came home on Thursday morning (my doctor said I could leave Wednesday but I chose to stay one more day just to be sure that coming off the IV pain medicine went smoothly). So just two days.

I have four tiny (less than one-half inch) cuts on my stomach, one on each side, one in my belly button and one about an inch below where my pubic hair starts (they did shave it a little). These are where the laproscopic equipment was put in. They did not stitch them but used some kind of Krazy Glue -- haha. The cuts are a little sore, like a bruise would be, but there is no bruising of any kind. And I can't really feel the stitches inside at all (very different from when I had my episiotomies... those stitches I felt and they hurt for many days!).

Have you ever had children? The reason I ask is because this whole process has been a lot easier and less painful than labor, delivery and recovery from child birth. And with my two kids nearly grown up, I get to just focus on my own recovery and do whatever I feel like. And I get to sleep!
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:25 PM
scared silly

I had my LAVH on 12/31/07 - 3 tiny incisions - one high up (near the breast line) and then 2 lower (about 2 inches above the pubic line) - all closed with Dermabond so no exterior stitches.

I stayed one night in the hospital. I was there about 32 hours including all the pre-op prep and surgery time.

My recovery has been great and I already feel so much better without the fibroids!

Hope this helps!

Julie
LAVH - 12/31/07 - kept the ovaries and feeling great
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:46 PM
scared silly

If you tell your gyne and your anaesthesiologis that you are very frightened of 'going under', they will make extra efforts to make you feel safe and to lessen your anxiety. See if you can meet your anaesthesiologist at an appointment before your surgery and discuss the issue with him or her. Our hosital sets up these pre-op appointments and I am looking forward to sharing my own 'going under' concerns.
Best of luck. You are going to be just fine!
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:47 AM
scared silly

Hi. I just wanted to relate. I don't know yet if I will need a hysterectomy, but I am so scared about the thought of it and also am driving my husband crazy. The advice you got from the wonderful women sounds excellent! I think it is important to talk to the doctor about your fears. I have been told that a good doctor will work with you and alleviate your fears. I hope this works for me too.
Unread 01-29-2008, 05:13 PM
scared silly

I am 6 days post op (TAH, kept both ovaries). I am scared silly of anethesia. This was my 3rd time going under general. I am not sure why it scares me so much...no real reason behind it. Make sure your GYN and your anethesiologist know this beforehand, so they can give you something to help you relax before you go into surgery. They will be more sensitive to you if they're aware that this is scary for you. You are not the only one. My surgery went great. I am sure yours will go smoothly also.
Jill

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register